Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 18:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hi,

I'm having trouble with DS, and would like an explanation for the following questions:

1. What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m and n?
1) m is a prime number
2) m and n are consecutive integers

2. Is number A more close to 10^(-2) or 10^(-3)?
(1) A is more close to 10^(-1) than to 10(-4)
(2) A is more close to 10^(-2) than to 10(-4)

3. How many different prime factors does N have?
(1) 2N has 4 different prime factors.
(2) N ^2 has 4 different prime factors.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2006
Posts: 92
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2006, 02:50
Q1, B

(1) is INSUFF because we don't know the value of N
(2) SUFF, used picking numbers

Q2, A
(1) is SUFF because if A is closer to 10^-1 than it should be close to 10^-2
(2) is INSUFF because it can be either way

Q3, B

(1) is INSUFF because we don't know if 2 is already a prime factor of N
(2) is SUFF because N^2 has the same prime factors as N but twice as many
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 847
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

Re: DS - explanation requested. [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2006, 03:54
dancer wrote:
1. What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m and n?
1) m is a prime number
2) m and n are consecutive integers

C

Statement 1:
Unless n is a multiple of m, there is no common divisor except 1. INSUFF

Statement 2:
Unless m and n are 1 and 2, there are no common divisors. INSUFF

Together, if m is prime and n is the next integer, there can be no common divisors. (I assume that m and n are in that order, because I believe that is what statement 2 means. If I cannot assume that, then it is E.)

Quote:
2. Is number A more close to 10^(-2) or 10^(-3)?
(1) A is more close to 10^(-1) than to 10(-4)
(2) A is more close to 10^(-2) than to 10(-4)

E

Q: Is A less than average of 1/100 and 1/1000?
A< 9/2000 ?

Statement 1:
A is less than average of 1/10 and 1/10000.
A<99.9/2000. INSUFF

Statement 2:
A is less than average of 1/100 and 1/10000
A< 9.9/2000 INSUFF

Together still INSUFF.


Quote:
3. How many different prime factors does N have?
(1) 2N has 4 different prime factors.
(2) N ^2 has 4 different prime factors.

B
Statement 1:
2 may or may not be a factor of N as well. INSUFF

Statement 2:
Prime factors should be the same for both N and N^2. SUFF
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2006
Posts: 213
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: DS - explanation requested. [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2006, 13:02
anandsebastin wrote:
dancer wrote:
1. What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m and n?
1) m is a prime number
2) m and n are consecutive integers

C

Statement 1:
Unless n is a multiple of m, there is no common divisor except 1. INSUFF

Statement 2:
Unless m and n are 1 and 2, there are no common divisors. INSUFF

Together, if m is prime and n is the next integer, there can be no common divisors. (I assume that m and n are in that order, because I believe that is what statement 2 means. If I cannot assume that, then it is E.)

Quote:
2. Is number A more close to 10^(-2) or 10^(-3)?
(1) A is more close to 10^(-1) than to 10(-4)
(2) A is more close to 10^(-2) than to 10(-4)

E

Q: Is A less than average of 1/100 and 1/1000?
A< 9/2000 ?

Statement 1:
A is less than average of 1/10 and 1/10000.
A<99.9/2000. INSUFF

Statement 2:
A is less than average of 1/100 and 1/10000
A< 9.9/2000 INSUFF

Together still INSUFF.


Quote:
3. How many different prime factors does N have?
(1) 2N has 4 different prime factors.
(2) N ^2 has 4 different prime factors.

B
Statement 1:
2 may or may not be a factor of N as well. INSUFF

Statement 2:
Prime factors should be the same for both N and N^2. SUFF


Don't you think that 1 will be a common divisor in all the cases.Hence for Q 1 we have (B)

Also I beleive it should be (D) for Q 2

And for Q 3 my answer is (B)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 122
Location: Florida, Argentina, UK
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: DS - explanation requested. [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2006, 13:57
Nice questions Dancer!
My take is:
1)B
2)E
3)B

1)1 is their only common divisor
2)draw the numbers in the # line, and I think you can find the answer, which is none
3)the number multiplied by its own, will still have the same prime factors, try it if not with 7; 49; 5; 25; 125...

Please let me know if I am missing sthg.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2006
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2006, 15:31
1-B
2-A
3-B


QUESTION 1

Statement 1) :
A prime number can be divided, without remainer, by 1 and by itself
As we don't know if n is a multiple or not, of m
Insufficient : eliminate A - D

Statement 2):
No consecutive numbers have common prime factorization (try picking numbers) , so the only possibility for GCD is this case 1
Sufficient


QUESTION 2
The best way to resolve this problem is writting the numbers in an easier way
Multiply everything by 10000

The problem now is:
Is number A more close to 100 or 10?
(1) A is more close to 1000 than to 1
(2) A is more close to 100 than to 1

Statement 1) : Any number that you pick will be closer to 100 than to 10 : SUFFICIENT
Statement 2) : If you pick 51, the number A is closer to 10, but if you pick 80 the number A is closer to 100. INSUFFICIENT


QUESTION 3

Statement 1) :
If N= 3*5*7*11, then 2N will have 5 prime numbers, but
if N= 2*3*5*7. then 2N will have 4 prime numbers
INSUFFICIENT

Statement 2)
If N= 3*5*7*11, then N*N will have 4 prime numbers ALWAYS
SUFFICIENT
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2006, 17:46
3. How many different prime factors does N have?
(1) 2N has 4 different prime factors.
(2) N ^2 has 4 different prime factors.

Statement 1: Insufficient
Can't tell whether 2 is a prime factor.

Statement 2: Insufficient
Can't assume N is an integer (e.g. N = sqrt(2) * 3 * 5 * 7).

Statement 1 + Statement 2:
For N = 2 * 3 * 5 * 7 both statements hold.
For N = sqrt(2) * 3 * 5 * 7 the statements also hold.

Answer: E
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

DS - explanation requested [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2006, 06:35
Thanks guys!

However, I'm still battling with question 3. gxgcristea - I don't quite get your explanation. When you say for N = 2*3*5*7.... could you please expound?

PS - I'm not very good at DS and wonder what materials I should use to get more practice - please let me know.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 847
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

Re: DS - explanation requested [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2006, 18:04
dancer wrote:
Thanks guys!

However, I'm still battling with question 3. gxgcristea - I don't quite get your explanation. When you say for N = 2*3*5*7.... could you please expound?

PS - I'm not very good at DS and wonder what materials I should use to get more practice - please let me know.


Please post the OA and OE(if available).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 385
Location: TX
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: DS - explanation requested. [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 17:57
dancer wrote:
Hi,

I'm having trouble with DS, and would like an explanation for the following questions:

1. What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m and n?
1) m is a prime number
2) m and n are consecutive integers

2. Is number A more close to 10^(-2) or 10^(-3)?
(1) A is more close to 10^(-1) than to 10(-4)
(2) A is more close to 10^(-2) than to 10(-4)

3. How many different prime factors does N have?
(1) 2N has 4 different prime factors.
(2) N ^2 has 4 different prime factors.



1 . B
1. m is prime ,but n could be 2m . Insuff
2. m(m+1) only 1 is possible . Suff

2. D
This could be rephrased as
Is number A more close to 10 or 1?
(1) A is more close to 1000 than to 1. A has to be >= than 501. Suff
(2) A is more close to 100 than to 1. A has to be >= 51. suff
Re: DS - explanation requested.   [#permalink] 29 Oct 2006, 17:57
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m eybrj2 1 28 Mar 2012, 23:38
What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m marcodonzelli 3 12 Mar 2008, 12:05
What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m mrmikec 4 16 Jun 2006, 21:39
What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m gmat_crack 5 08 Apr 2006, 20:36
What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m twixt 4 22 Nov 2004, 06:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the greatest common divisor of positive integers m

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.