Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 16:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 05:20

What is the limit on the amount of times that one should take the gmat? The reason that I say is that I already took the test three times, though one of the times I didn't accept my score. I'd like to take it one more time, but I am afraid that the schools I apply to will see this negatively. Any thoughts?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 337
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 05:23
shanhaque wrote:
What is the limit on the amount of times that one should take the gmat? The reason that I say is that I already took the test three times, though one of the times I didn't accept my score. I'd like to take it one more time, but I am afraid that the schools I apply to will see this negatively. Any thoughts?


What's your scores and what schools are you applying to?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 05:34
Well I have already applied to Chicago GSB, but I want to still just throw out an application to Kellogg for R3. The score first started out as a 510, then quickly moved up the 640, then just to make it in time for a deadline I tried to take it again but I didn't accept my score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 337
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 06:14
shanhaque wrote:
Well I have already applied to Chicago GSB, but I want to still just throw out an application to Kellogg for R3. The score first started out as a 510, then quickly moved up the 640, then just to make it in time for a deadline I tried to take it again but I didn't accept my score.


Well, you have room for improvement. If it was me I would study hard for a few weeks and retake the test.

Unless you have a stellar profile, odds are against you with a 640 and applying to Kellogg in R3.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 06:22
Just to be sure, Kellogg won't look poorly on the fact that I have taken it 4 times?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 337
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 06:51
shanhaque wrote:
Just to be sure, Kellogg won't look poorly on the fact that I have taken it 4 times?


IMHO, applying with a 640 is much worse than applying with a 700+ (after having taking the gmat 4 times).
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 597
Location: Detroit, MI
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 07:50
I don't know about Northwestern, but don't some schools only ask you to report your highest? So they may not even know you took the test 4 times...

Is this correct?

I hope so because I got a 710, but I am going to retake and try to improve up to around 730-750...

Thanks!

~Sam
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 337
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 08:03
sam77sam7 wrote:
I don't know about Northwestern, but don't some schools only ask you to report your highest? So they may not even know you took the test 4 times...

Is this correct?

I hope so because I got a 710, but I am going to retake and try to improve up to around 730-750...

Thanks!

~Sam


I think that schools can still see your historical scores. Adcoms may wonder why you wanted to retake the gmat after a 710 instead of prioritize another part of your application (polishing essays, EC's, etc...). That is a good enough score at all schools.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 08:27
Taking it 4 is not really that bad. I am never a fan of the idea of canceling a score. A lot of folks thing they were doing terrible and ended up scoring very well. Thinking you are doing bad probably means you are getting harder questions.

There are people who take it a lot of times and get into top schools. If a school wants you they generally wont care. You can always self report your score since they only want the high and if admitted send them your official score...if the schools allow that.

I hate to say it but chances when you are at the bottom of the 80% range are nearly impossible at top schools. The people that get in with those scores have something far more impressive that the adcoms want than a score. If you happen to fall into a fairly common and competitve demographic a low GMAT can definitely ruin any chance. Now if you are a minority female with a very interesting story it might be a lot easier no matter the score.

Retaking with a 700+ is a double edge sword. If you are 100% sure you can improve 30+ points go for it unless you are at the 740+ range then its probably a waste of time unless you have nothing better to do. I know several members on here retoook with 720+ scores and jumped up 30+ points and managed to get into top schools. Not saying that they wouldnt have gotten in with a 720 or 730 but it obviously didnt hurt them. If you arent applying until next year and know you can bring it up into the 740+ range, I dont see the harm in it. If you are trying to apply this year then dont waste the effort...
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 597
Location: Detroit, MI
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 08:45
I am going to be applying next fall for Fall '09. I have some extra time, and between my extracurriculars, I think I can raise my score another 20-40 points.

The way I look at it is... if I don't retake it, and then get dinged, I will wonder if it would have made a difference. Retaking it one more time is my way of both convincing myself that I am putting my best score out there, and making sure my candidacy is the best I feel it can be.

When I got a 710, I felt I underperformed, so for me at least, it's worth the peace of mind...

~Sam
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 09:24
sam77sam7 wrote:
I am going to be applying next fall for Fall '09. I have some extra time, and between my extracurriculars, I think I can raise my score another 20-40 points.

The way I look at it is... if I don't retake it, and then get dinged, I will wonder if it would have made a difference. Retaking it one more time is my way of both convincing myself that I am putting my best score out there, and making sure my candidacy is the best I feel it can be.

When I got a 710, I felt I underperformed, so for me at least, it's worth the peace of mind...

~Sam


Consider that the error of measurement for the GMAT is about 30 points. So, even if you feel that your true score could improve by 20 points, your measured score could actually drop by 10...

Additionally, I don't think that going from 710 to 730 will drastically affect your chances. If we were talking 710 vs. 750+, then yes. But 20 points is within the measurement error.

L.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 597
Location: Detroit, MI
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 09:39
This is actually a very valid point... something that I will need to consider. Obviously, I am hoping to improve to 750+, but I feel 20-30 points may be a little more realistic. Again, I realize 700+ is sufficient for most any school. A lot of it is peace of mind for myself, and proving to myself that I can achieve what I believe I am capable of doing.

Thanks for the input though... ;)

~Sam


lepium wrote:
Consider that the error of measurement for the GMAT is about 30 points. So, even if you feel that your true score could improve by 20 points, your measured score could actually drop by 10...

Additionally, I don't think that going from 710 to 730 will drastically affect your chances. If we were talking 710 vs. 750+, then yes. But 20 points is within the measurement error.

L.
Re: What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2008, 09:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
What is the right time to take GMAT? karanasher 3 30 Sep 2012, 10:01
Beat GMAT time limit gablaze23 7 31 Mar 2007, 00:10
Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT score time limit socalblitz 1 17 Oct 2005, 14:44
GMAT Score time limit socalblitz 1 17 Oct 2005, 14:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the limit on the times to take the GMAT

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.