Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 02:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the minimum number of RECTANGULAR shipping boxes

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

What is the minimum number of RECTANGULAR shipping boxes [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 00:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:48) correct 25% (00:20) wrong based on 20 sessions
Hi

I was going through Kaplan book DS question. I just wanted someone to verify/comment on what i m thinking. the question is:

What is the minimum number of RECTANGULAR shipping boxes Company L will need in order to ship 120 rectangular packages that are rectangular solids, all of which have exactly the same dimensions?

(1) The dimensions of the packages are 3 inches in length, 4 inches in depth, and 6 inches in height.
(2) Each box is a cube of length one foot

Well certainly we can use both the statements to find out the answer easily, which is stated as the answer in the book too.. Just that what made me wonder was since we know the net volume of packages which is 3x4x6x120.. can we not equate this with volume of a BOX (i know dimensions are not given) whose dimensions we think upon to give the least number of boxes??

Let me make myself clear:
3x4x6x120= X (volume of box).. we need to minimize X or we can say maximise volume of box..

can the volume not be maximised by putting values based on assumptions ( which we tend to do in DS).. coz if we do so.. dimensions of the box can be 12x6x120 or 24x3x120 or etc etc.. each giving the same volume and making the number of rectangular boxes as ONE.. which would be least.. HENCE ''A'' SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT?

Please tell me where I am going wrong!!

p.s. i usually get embarrassed when ppl ask me to search for a topic before posting one :oops: , I swear i did this time.. and I believe the similar posts have slightly different doubt with a slightly moulded question.. :)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 998 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the minimum number of RECTANGULAR shipping boxes [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 02:17
This post received
KUDOS
I'm not sure I understood what you meant. By I can try to explain my view.

Given statement 1, you say that the volume of the boxes is 120*3*4*6 CORRECT.
But if we don't know the dimension of the box, we cannot say how many of those we need.
let me give you a simple example:
AreaBox= 100000000 (huge number) => one box is enough
AreaBox = 20 => more than one is necessary.
A is not Sufficient

Let me know if this helps

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 388

Kudos [?]: 1526 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the minimum number of RECTANGULAR shipping boxes [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 10:46
Expert's post
swarman wrote:
Hi

I was going through Kaplan book DS question. I just wanted someone to verify/comment on what i m thinking. the question is:

What is the minimum number of RECTANGULAR shipping boxes Company L will need in order to ship 120 rectangular packages that are rectangular solids, all of which have exactly the same dimensions?

(1) The dimensions of the packages are 3 inches in length, 4 inches in depth, and 6 inches in height.
(2) Each box is a cube of length one foot

Well certainly we can use both the statements to find out the answer easily, which is stated as the answer in the book too.. Just that what made me wonder was since we know the net volume of packages which is 3x4x6x120.. can we not equate this with volume of a BOX (i know dimensions are not given) whose dimensions we think upon to give the least number of boxes??

Let me make myself clear:
3x4x6x120= X (volume of box).. we need to minimize X or we can say maximise volume of box..

can the volume not be maximised by putting values based on assumptions ( which we tend to do in DS).. coz if we do so.. dimensions of the box can be 12x6x120 or 24x3x120 or etc etc.. each giving the same volume and making the number of rectangular boxes as ONE.. which would be least.. HENCE ''A'' SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT?

Please tell me where I am going wrong!!

p.s. i usually get embarrassed when ppl ask me to search for a topic before posting one :oops: , I swear i did this time.. and I believe the similar posts have slightly different doubt with a slightly moulded question.. :)

Dear Swarman,
I believe Zarrolou gave a fine response, but I am going to add my 2¢ as well. :-)

The prompt says "What is the minimum number of RECTANGULAR shipping boxes Company L will need in order to ship 120 rectangular packages that are rectangular solids, all of which have exactly the same dimensions?' We do not know how many packages will fit in each box. Pay very close attention to the wording --- "packages" vs. "boxes" ---- both are rectangular, and we are putting the former inside the latter. We assume that the packages are smaller than the boxes, but we have no way of knowing how small. We also don't know, from the prompt, whether we will be able to pack the packages into the boxes neatly with no space left over.

As it happens, if we take both statement #1 & statement #2, we see that we can pack the packages neatly --- 4 packages wide, 3 packages deep, 2 packages high, or 24 packages total in each box. Without knowing the size of the box, we could not have calculated this, so we would have no way to know the size of the box.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Re: What is the minimum number of RECTANGULAR shipping boxes [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 09:48
Thank you so much guys for the reply.. I certainly agree to what you say. :)
Actually this question is of DS, which always makes me more sceptical towards its answers.. My approach simply was that the minimum no of packages can be one only if we can get net volume of the boxes to be as the product of 3 possible dimensions, which it certainly does in this case as the net volume of boxes an have several possible dimensions of the package which would allow us to use ONLY ONE package. is this thinking wrong ??

was i able to put across what the doubt in my mind is?

P.S.-i know it makes me sound like an insane.. had i read this question before starting with my prep i would have had the same approach for choosing C as well..probably i have been thinking in excess.. :(
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 998 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the minimum number of RECTANGULAR shipping boxes [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 10:06
This post received
KUDOS
Ahahah, you are not thinking too much! :)
The correct approach to solve DS is: look at the question => manipulate the question [ try to make it more friendly ie: x^2+1>0? becomes is x<-1 or x>1?]
read the statement => manipulate the statements [to see if they help]

You have to be aware of the limits of the "manipulating" phase: you CANNOT add info or assume anything. I know this sounds obvious, but this is what happened here.

swarman wrote:
Thank you so much guys for the reply.. I certainly agree to what you say. :)
My approach simply was that the minimum no of packages can be one only if we can get net volume of the boxes to be as the product of 3 possible dimensions, which it certainly does in this case as the net volume of boxes an have several possible dimensions of the package which would allow us to use ONLY ONE package. is this thinking wrong ??

This is way too much! Of course we can COULD use one package, given your conditions above, but "common sense" tells me that if I don't know how big a box is, I cannot know how many of those I need.

Stupid ( I know :roll: ) but we have to keep "common sense" with us to beat the GMAT!

Hope this helps

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern

Re: What is the minimum number of RECTANGULAR shipping boxes [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 11:10
you are right Zarrolou. What you said makes complete sense- using common sense ;)

I really appreciate your efforts :)

Thank you so much..God bless you :)
Re: What is the minimum number of RECTANGULAR shipping boxes   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2013, 11:10