Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the minimum number of shipping boxes Company L

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

What is the minimum number of shipping boxes Company L [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 21:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hi All!

I felt that the Kaplan book had a wrong answer for a question. I just wanted someone to verify/comment if what I think is right. The question is:

What is the minimum number of shipping boxes Company L will need in order to ship 120 rectangular packages, all of which have exactly the same dimensions?
(1) The dimensions of the packages are 3 inches in length, 4 inches in depth, and 6 inches in height.
(2) The volume of one shipping box is one cubic foot.

"The correct answer is C (according to the book). We need both statements to solve the problem". The book assumes that the shipping boxes are cubes, and hence the dimensions are 1 foot by 1 foot by 1 foot.

My argument is, the volume of a shipping box is 1 cu. foot. This does not mean that the box needs to be a cube. Cubic foot is just the unit of measurement. The shipping box could have measured 1 foot by 1/5 foot by 5 feet. In which case, both statements are not sufficient to solve the problem.

Please let me know your comments on this. Thanks a Lot!

~ Rrajiv
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A DS Question from Kaplan 2005 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 21:50
rrajiv wrote:
Hi All!

I felt that the Kaplan book had a wrong answer for a question. I just wanted someone to verify/comment if what I think is right. The question is:

What is the minimum number of shipping boxes Company L will need in order to ship 120 rectangular packages, all of which have exactly the same dimensions?
(1) The dimensions of the packages are 3 inches in length, 4 inches in depth, and 6 inches in height.

"The correct answer is C (according to the book). We need both statements to solve the problem". The book assumes that the shipping boxes are cubes, and hence the dimensions are 1 foot by 1 foot by 1 foot.

My argument is, the volume of a shipping box is 1 cu. foot. This does not mean that the box needs to be a cube. Cubic foot is just the unit of measurement. The shipping box could have measured 1 foot by 1/5 foot by 5 feet. In which case, both statements are not sufficient to solve the problem.

~ Rrajiv

I think you're right. Without knowing the real dimensions of the box, we cannot know the "fit" of the packages inside the box.

Who says elephants can't dance?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 21:52
St1:
Insufficient. We only have the dimensions of the package, and do not have any information about the box.

St2:
Insufficient. No information about the size of the package.

Using St1 and St2:
Each box = 72 cubic inches
We have the size of the shipping box.

So we can calculate how many of these boxes are needed for 120 of the packages.

Ans C

Last edited by ywilfred on 23 May 2006, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A DS Question from Kaplan 2005 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 21:54
rrajiv wrote:
Hi All!

~ Rrajiv

We're told the voume of the box is cubic ft. This is sufficient as we do not care how the dimensions work out. Whether its 1x1x1 or 1x1/5x5, the volume is always constant.

If we have a box that is 1 cubic ft, and each package has a volume, say 1/2 cubic ft, then we know each packing box is going to contain only 2 such packages.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A DS Question from Kaplan 2005 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 23:14
ywilfred wrote:
rrajiv wrote:
Hi All!

~ Rrajiv

We're told the voume of the box is cubic ft. This is sufficient as we do not care how the dimensions work out. Whether its 1x1x1 or 1x1/5x5, the volume is always constant.

If we have a box that is 1 cubic ft, and each package has a volume, say 1/2 cubic ft, then we know each packing box is going to contain only 2 such packages.

Let me give you an example:

The package being 6"x8"x2" = 96sq in
The box being 8"x8"x3 = 192 sq in.

Can you place 2 such packages in the box?

Who says elephants can't dance?

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 May 2006, 23:25
Well cubic foot is used to refer to 1 x 1 x 1!!

if they meant otherwise they wud have said 1 foot cube!

Likewise,

I cubic meter and 1 meter cube is the same volume, but the former also indicates that the sides are of the unit length!
  [#permalink] 23 May 2006, 23:25