Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the minimum requirement for GMAT verbal score???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
What is the minimum requirement for GMAT verbal score??? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 01:01
Please, share your insights on the following question:
What is the GMAT verbal score at which you are considered "passed the GMAT requirement" by top BS (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and so on)???
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 02:10
A similar question came up after the Wharton reception in Bangalore, and Mr. Caleel basically said it is preferred if you have at least a 80-80 split on the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 02:17
shmegs wrote:
A similar question came up after the Wharton reception in Bangalore, and Mr. Caleel basically said it is preferred if you have at least a 80-80 split on the GMAT.

Thanks, but what about HBS, SGSB??? Do they have sticter requirements???
Current Student
Followers: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 09:39
I don't see why H/S would have any different requirements than "anything better than 80/80"
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 15:15
As with almost every other application component, there is no formal cutoff for GMAT verbal score.

The only formal cutoff exists for TOEFL, if required, but even so, some people say that scoring at the minimum is not the same as having a greater score.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 15:18
NO schools will tell you that they have a "requirement". You'll always hear the dreaded "holistic" approach and "everyone should apply".

But with that said, the 80/80 Q/V percentile is usually a good soft "requirement" to apply for any of the top 15-16 schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 21:47
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the minimum requirement for GMAT verbal score??? [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 12:49
Man, I friggin' jacked up quant yesterday and now have a 72/99 split. Is this going to knock me back when applying to HBS, Wharton and Chicago? I do have a quant background, which will hopefully help show that I had an off day on that section. I'm going to be a wreck until this apps process if complete.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the minimum requirement for GMAT verbal score??? [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 17:41
MeddlingKid,

I have the exact same dilema. Q: 72%, V 95%, with 710 93%. I have a BS and Master in Comp Science with strong Math background... Go figure... I hope the adcom will see that and think I had an off day. I am not retaking the GMAT for that...
What about you?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the minimum requirement for GMAT verbal score??? [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 17:48
Remember GMATs are one thing you can retake to up. I dont tell people to retake it but if you have a 75% quant it will give more pause than having a 75% verbal. There are people who get in with lower GMATs or low Quant strong Verbal...nervousgmat had a good overall score but nailed V not so hot Q but had very strong academics and she had a clean sweep this year. If you think you can nail the quant with a little more effort and maintain your verbal then I suggest you think about retaking...there is still plenty of time. Your 710 will go to 740+ which is a great score to have these days. At Kellogg's admitted student weekend they said the average GMAT of admitted students in R1 was 721. Figure it has been going up each year so think about it.

Applications dont come out for a few months. I pretty much was just starting to seriously study for the GMAT this time last year, lots of us took it in July/August. Its 250 but so is each application and this process is all about doing everything you can to maximize your chances.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the minimum requirement for GMAT verbal score??? [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 18:23
Does anyone know what's considered the 80% cutoff for quant these days? I've seen 46 listed, but my official report said that that represents 79%.

Yes, I'm splitting hairs, but it would be nice not to have to worry. If only I could spare a percentage point (or 20) from verbal!

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: What is the minimum requirement for GMAT verbal score??? [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 18:31
I think I could nail the Quant as I scored 48-49 on my mock exams vs 44 on the real one. I am just tired of the GMAT; it is useless. Work is super hectic and I do work 20-30 hours a week in managing a non-profit board. Basically, I made a life choice when I decided not to retake it. I prefer focusing on helping my board and working harder on my essays.
Do you know what the average GPA is? I have a 3.96 from a decent engineering school (BS) and 3.83 from an Ivy (MS). I was hoping that would help.

I also think that I am going to be a wreck at the end of this process. I was thinking that with all the extra curricular I do, great academic background and making VP at an investment bank @ 28 would help. Now I am scared of not getting into any of the schools I am applying to (R1 - H/W/Kellogg/MIT/Chicago).

Life suckssssss at times :?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: What is the minimum requirement for GMAT verbal score??? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 04:05
Vlad77 wrote:
Please, share your insights on the following question:
What is the GMAT verbal score at which you are considered "passed the GMAT requirement" by top BS (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and so on)???

Vlad, I think you are non-native speaker.
Schools realise that non-native speaker's verbal scores are lower than of native speakers. So they i hope will be OK with min 37-38 verbal score.
Min 80% in verbal is V37, so to receive 700 you will need at least 49 in quantative (see link to the thread of all gmat scores)

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Re: What is the minimum requirement for GMAT verbal score???   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2010, 04:05