Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 10:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the perimeter of right triangle XYZ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

What is the perimeter of right triangle XYZ? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 16:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:27) correct 17% (00:16) wrong based on 46 sessions

(1) XY = 11
(2) XZ = 11

Question # 123 from Total GMAT Math:

So far I've deduced that Y and Z are equal, making them the legs of a 45 -45 - 90 triangle. I've yet to figure out how to manipulate the equations to come up with leg length of 11 and hypotenuse of 11 rt(2). Please help, sorry if its a repost. Searched and couldn't find anything.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Jan 2013, 04:18, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-18-2013
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Right Triangles Question # 123 -- Total GMAT Math [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 17:22
ereyhan wrote:

1. XY = 11
2. XZ = 11

So far I've deduced that Y and Z are equal, making them the legs of a 45 -45 - 90 triangle. I've yet to figure out how to manipulate the equations to come up with leg length of 11 and hypotenuse of 11 rt(2). Please help, sorry if its a repost. Searched and couldn't find anything.

It is a data sufficiency problem, so you don't have to solve. You only have to know what you need in order to solve. So far it sounds like you have realized that you need both statements in order to deduce that x is the 90 degree corner. You know you have the length of the two legs, so you know you can solve the hypotenuse; so you can solve perimeter.

If you were trying to solve for the actual value of the hypotenuse, use the pythagorean theorem. a^2 +b^2 = c^2

11^2 + 11^2 = c^2
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1154

Kudos [?]: 5369 [0], given: 165

Re: Right Triangles Question # 123 -- Total GMAT Math [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 19:28
Expert's post
ereyhan wrote:

1. XY = 11
2. XZ = 11

A couple of things about a right triangle:

- The hypotenuse is the longest side. No other side can be equal to or longer than the hypotenuse.
- The relation between the sides and the hypotenuse of the triangle is given by side^2 + side^2 = hypotenuse^2

Given the right triangle XYZ, we cannot say whether the hypotenuse is XY, YZ or XZ.

1. XY = 11
2. XZ = 11

We know the length of two sides. Since the lengths are equal, we can be sure that neither one of them is the hypotenuse. The hypotenuse must be YZ. So get the perimeter, we need to know all three sides so we need to know the hypotenuse too.

11^2 + 11^2 = YZ^2
2*11^2 = YZ^2
YZ = 11\sqrt{2}

Perimeter = 11 + 11 + 11\sqrt{2}

I would advice you to check out a geometry book (Take a look at the Veritas Geometry book here: http://www.amazon.com/Geometry-Veritas- ... s+geometry ) for all these concepts.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.56

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 134

Re: Right Triangles Question # 123 -- Total GMAT Math [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 06:32
Hi,
Since we know that it's a 45-45-90 triangle (combining 1 and 2),we know that the length of the hypotenuse would be xroot2..where x is 11...So answer should be C..Am I right ?

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
ereyhan wrote:

1. XY = 11
2. XZ = 11

- The hypotenuse is the longest side. No other side can be equal to or longer than the hypotenuse.
- The relation between the sides and the hypotenuse of the triangle is given by side^2 + side^2 = hypotenuse^2

Given the right triangle XYZ, we cannot say whether the hypotenuse is XY, YZ or XZ.

1. XY = 11
2. XZ = 11

We know the length of two sides. Since the lengths are equal, we can be sure that neither one of them is the hypotenuse. The hypotenuse must be YZ. So get the perimeter, we need to know all three sides so we need to know the hypotenuse too.

11^2 + 11^2 = YZ^2
2*11^2 = YZ^2
YZ = 11\sqrt{2}

I would advice you to check out a geometry book (Take a look at the Veritas Geometry book here: http://www.amazon.com/Geometry-Veritas- ... s+geometry ) for all these concepts.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 3

Re: Right Triangles Question # 123 -- Total GMAT Math [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 15:20
Yes, the answer is C.

farukqmul wrote:
Hi,
Since we know that it's a 45-45-90 triangle (combining 1 and 2),we know that the length of the hypotenuse would be xroot2..where x is 11...So answer should be C..Am I right ?

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
ereyhan wrote:

1. XY = 11
2. XZ = 11

1. XY = 11
2. XZ = 11

11^2 + 11^2 = YZ^2
2*11^2 = YZ^2
YZ = 11\sqrt{2}

Thanks
Kris
Instructor at Aspire4GMAT

Visit us at http://www.aspire4gmat.com

Post your queries
Join our free GMAT course

New blog: How to get that 700+
New blog: Data Sufficiency Tricks

Press Kudos if this helps!

Re: Right Triangles Question # 123 -- Total GMAT Math   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2013, 15:20