Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the probability that, on three rolls of a number cub

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-06-2013
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

What is the probability that, on three rolls of a number cub [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 07:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions
Hi,

This question is actually from the Manhattan Number Properties book,

I am trying to solve this, but am getting it wrong.

What is the probability that, on three rolls of a number cube with faces numbered 1 to 6, at least one of the rolls will be a 6?

The way I am solving it:

Quote:
Since I need to find the probability that at least one of the rolls is a 6, there are three outcomes possible:

Outcome 1:
Exactly one roll is a 6:
This would mean one roll is a 6, while the remaining two are not.
The probability would be: \frac{1}{6}*\frac{5}{6}*\frac{5}{6}
= \frac{25}{216}

Outcome 2:
Two rolls are 6s, one is not
The probability would be: \frac{1}{6}*\frac{1}{6}*\frac{5}{6}
= \frac{5}{216}

Outcome 3:
All three rolls are 6s
The probability would be: \frac{1}{6}*\frac{1}{6}*\frac{1}{6}
= \frac{1}{216}

Therefore, probability that at least one roll is a six would be Outcome 1 OR Outcome 2 OR Outcome 3

\frac{25}{216}+\frac{5}{216}+\frac{1}{216} = \frac{31}{216}

But the right answer is \frac{91}{216}. The book has given this example to explain the 1-x probability trick, ie. calculating the probability of not getting even one 6 and subtracting it from 1.

I was trying to solve it the normal way, to understand it.

I seem to get 91/216 if I consider WHICH ROLL is a 6 in the first two outcomes, and add their probabilities.
eg, for Outcome 1: First roll is a 6 AND the roll 2 and Roll 3 are not OR the Second roll is a 6 and the other two are not OR the third roll is a 6 and the other two are not

This would give me \frac{25}{216}+\frac{25}{216}+\frac{25}{216} = \frac{75}{216} for Outcome 1
and \frac{5}{216}+\frac{5}{216}+\frac{5}{216} = \frac{15}{216} for Outcome 2, Outcome 3 would be \frac{1}{216} for a total of \frac{91}{216}

But I don't see why WHICH ROLL is a 6 is important for this problem.

What am I thinking wrong?
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1200 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Probability of at least one outcome [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 07:19
This post received
KUDOS
What you say is correct, but not complete.

Case 1: only one 6. you here analyze one case (6,N,N) correctly, but you forget to analyze the other 2 cases : (N,6,N) and (N,N,6)
so the probability of case one is 3*\frac{25}{216}

The same happens for case 2: two 6s. Here again we have to multiply your result by 3 in order to get all the combinations: (N,6,6)(6,N,6)(6,6,N)
3*\frac{5}{216}

The probability of the third case is correct. Now we sum our results and obtain \frac{91}{216}

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-06-2013
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Probability of at least one outcome [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 08:26
Zarrolou wrote:
What you say is correct, but not complete.

Case 1: only one 6. you here analyze one case (6,N,N) correctly, but you forget to analyze the other 2 cases : (N,6,N) and (N,N,6)
so the probability of case one is 3*\frac{25}{216}

The same happens for case 2: two 6s. Here again we have to multiply your result by 3 in order to get all the combinations: (N,6,6)(6,N,6)(6,6,N)
3*\frac{5}{216}

The probability of the third case is correct. Now we sum our results and obtain \frac{91}{216}

Thanks Zarrolou.

I'm having trouble understanding the concept of probability.
Im trying to frame this question as a Combinatorics question. Please help me out.

Lets just consider Case 1, Only one 6 in three rolls.

So, for three rolls, all the possible outcomes are:

6 outcomes of first roll AND 6 of second AND 6 of third = 216

So, the right way to frame the question now would be : What are the different ways of getting exactly one 6 in three rolls of a dice?

Using the Slots method, that would be:

1 AND 5 AND 5 OR 5 AND 1 AND 5 OR 5 AND 5 AND 1.

That would be 75.

So, probability of getting exactly one 6 would now be, \frac{Ways of getting desired outcome}{All possible outcomes} = \frac{75}{216}

I am sorry for taking this roundabout rote, but am just trying to get it clear for myself.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1200 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Probability of at least one outcome [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 09:27
This post received
KUDOS
rooker wrote:
Thanks Zarrolou.

I'm having trouble understanding the concept of probability.
Im trying to frame this question as a Combinatorics question. Please help me out.

Lets just consider Case 1, Only one 6 in three rolls.

So, for three rolls, all the possible outcomes are:

6 outcomes of first roll AND 6 of second AND 6 of third = 216

So, the right way to frame the question now would be : What are the different ways of getting exactly one 6 in three rolls of a dice?

Using the Slots method, that would be:

1 AND 5 AND 5 OR 5 AND 1 AND 5 OR 5 AND 5 AND 1.

That would be 75.

So, probability of getting exactly one 6 would now be, \frac{Ways of getting desired outcome}{All possible outcomes} = \frac{75}{216}

I am sorry for taking this roundabout rote, but am just trying to get it clear for myself.

Absolutely correct! The probability of getting one 6 and three N6s is: \frac{1}{6}*\frac{5}{6}*\frac{5}{6}
The number of possible outcome is which this can happen is 3. So 3*\frac{25}{216} is the magic number

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 3

Re: Probability of at least one outcome [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there,

This is my way of approach:
The probability of not getting a 6 in 3 throws is (5/6)X(5/6)x(5/6).
Therefore the probability of getting at least one 6 is 1- [P(no 6 in 3 throws) = (5/6)X(5/6)x(5/6)] = 91/216
Re: Probability of at least one outcome   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2013, 01:28