Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the remainder when is divided by 6 if is a positiv

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 21

What is the remainder when is divided by 6 if is a positiv [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 22:18
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:58) correct 19% (00:48) wrong based on 67 sessions
What is the remainder when B is divided by 6 if B is a positive integer?

(1) When B is divided by 18, the remainder is 3

(2) When B is divided by 12, the remainder is 9
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 369 [1] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: What is the remainder when is divided by 6 if is a positiv [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 22:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
actleader wrote:
What is the remainder when B is divided by 6 if B is a positive integer?

(1) When B is divided by 18, the remainder is 3

(2) When B is divided by 12, the remainder is 9


remainder of B/6 ?

Statement 1: B/18 gives a remainder of 3. Since 18 is a multiple of 6 , remainder when B is divided by 6 would also be 3. Sufficient
Statement 2: B/12 gives a remainder of 9. Since 12 is a multiple of 6 , remainder when B is divided by 6 could also be 9. However 9 is more than 6. So we can take out another 6 out of it. Remainder would be 9-6 =3. Sufficient

Ans D it is.
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23393
Followers: 3609

Kudos [?]: 28829 [1] , given: 2852

Re: What is the remainder when is divided by 6 if is a positiv [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 03:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
What is the remainder when B is divided by 6 if B is a positive integer?

(1) When B is divided by 18, the remainder is 3 --> B=18q+3=6*(3q)+3, thus B divided by 6 yields the remainder of 3. Sufficient.

(2) When B is divided by 12, the remainder is 9 --> B=12p+9=6*(2p+1)+3, thus B divided by 6 yields the remainder of 3. Sufficient.

Answer: D.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 21

Re: What is the remainder when is divided by 6 if is a positiv [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 10:07
Bunuel wrote:
What is the remainder when B is divided by 6 if B is a positive integer?

(1) When B is divided by 18, the remainder is 3 --> B=18q+3=6*(3q)+3, thus B divided by 6 yields the remainder of 3. Sufficient.

(2) When B is divided by 12, the remainder is 9 --> B=12p+9=6*(2p+1)+3, thus B divided by 6 yields the remainder of 3. Sufficient.

Answer: D.


That's it!
I'd like to look some more examples, could you post some reference?

Also I'd like to know what's your opinion of the difficulty level of this problem, is it in the 550-600 range or above?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 21

Re: What is the remainder when is divided by 6 if is a positiv [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 10:12
Vips0000 wrote:
actleader wrote:
What is the remainder when B is divided by 6 if B is a positive integer?

(1) When B is divided by 18, the remainder is 3

(2) When B is divided by 12, the remainder is 9


remainder of B/6 ?

Statement 1: B/18 gives a remainder of 3. Since 18 is a multiple of 6 , remainder when B is divided by 6 would also be 3. Sufficient
Statement 2: B/12 gives a remainder of 9. Since 12 is a multiple of 6 , remainder when B is divided by 6 could also be 9. However 9 is more than 6. So we can take out another 6 out of it. Remainder would be 9-6 =3. Sufficient

Ans D it is.


This kind of solving is really fast but as for me it is on the high level,
but how can I deduct that 9-6=3 :?:
I can't find the clue to that
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23393
Followers: 3609

Kudos [?]: 28829 [0], given: 2852

Re: What is the remainder when is divided by 6 if is a positiv [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 10:15
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
actleader wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
What is the remainder when B is divided by 6 if B is a positive integer?

(1) When B is divided by 18, the remainder is 3 --> B=18q+3=6*(3q)+3, thus B divided by 6 yields the remainder of 3. Sufficient.

(2) When B is divided by 12, the remainder is 9 --> B=12p+9=6*(2p+1)+3, thus B divided by 6 yields the remainder of 3. Sufficient.

Answer: D.


That's it!
I'd like to look some more examples, could you post some reference?

Also I'd like to know what's your opinion of the difficulty level of this problem, is it in the 550-600 range or above?


Check our question banks: viewforumtags.php

DS questions on remainders: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=198
PS questions on remainders: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=199

Hope it helps.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Posts: 65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 21

Re: What is the remainder when is divided by 6 if is a positiv [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 11:41
Bunuel wrote:
actleader wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
What is the remainder when B is divided by 6 if B is a positive integer?

(1) When B is divided by 18, the remainder is 3 --> B=18q+3=6*(3q)+3, thus B divided by 6 yields the remainder of 3. Sufficient.

(2) When B is divided by 12, the remainder is 9 --> B=12p+9=6*(2p+1)+3, thus B divided by 6 yields the remainder of 3. Sufficient.

Answer: D.


That's it!
I'd like to look some more examples, could you post some reference?

Also I'd like to know what's your opinion of the difficulty level of this problem, is it in the 550-600 range or above?


Check our question banks: viewforumtags.php

DS questions on remainders: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=198
PS questions on remainders: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=199

Hope it helps.


Check our question banks: viewforumtags.php
Thanx for that
Really nice reference.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 369 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: What is the remainder when is divided by 6 if is a positiv [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 18:32
actleader wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
actleader wrote:
What is the remainder when B is divided by 6 if B is a positive integer?

(1) When B is divided by 18, the remainder is 3

(2) When B is divided by 12, the remainder is 9


remainder of B/6 ?

Statement 1: B/18 gives a remainder of 3. Since 18 is a multiple of 6 , remainder when B is divided by 6 would also be 3. Sufficient
Statement 2: B/12 gives a remainder of 9. Since 12 is a multiple of 6 , remainder when B is divided by 6 could also be 9. However 9 is more than 6. So we can take out another 6 out of it. Remainder would be 9-6 =3. Sufficient

Ans D it is.


This kind of solving is really fast but as for me it is on the high level,
but how can I deduct that 9-6=3 :?:
I can't find the clue to that

The clue lies in the simple principle 'remainder can not be greater than divisor'
what u need to do is take out as many 6s from remainder as possible, in case its greater than 6. for example if the same question says, B divided by 24 gives 19 so what is remainder when B/6? simply 19 - 3*6 = 1
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 2834
Followers: 206

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: What is the remainder when is divided by 6 if is a positiv [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2014, 03:27
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: What is the remainder when is divided by 6 if is a positiv   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2014, 03:27
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
What is the remainder when n is divided by 6? aeros232 3 28 May 2011, 14:00
When 15n is divided by 6, the remainder is x. What is value swat 2 06 Oct 2009, 01:06
what is the remainder when n is divided by 6? 1.n divided by humtum0 9 05 Sep 2007, 05:47
Remainder when x divided by 6 Nsentra 1 01 Oct 2006, 10:46
What is the remainder when x is divided by 3? I. When x+6 is joemama142000 9 23 Feb 2006, 03:19
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the remainder when is divided by 6 if is a positiv

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.