Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [68]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [41]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [11]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: What is the remainder when the positive integer x is divided by 6? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
mybudgie wrote:
What is the best way to approach this problem? I would appreciate some help.

What is the remainder when the positive integer x is divided by 6?

Statement 1: When x is divided by 2, the remainder is 1; and when x is divided by 3, the remainder is 0.

Statement 2: When x is divided by 12, the remainder is 3.

(1) This says that x is a multiple of 3 but not a multiple of 2.
All even multiples of 3 must be divisible by 6, and all odd multiples must be of the form 6n+3. (this is easy to see, consider the multiples - 3,6,9,12,15,18,21,... - they are alternatively even and odd, the even ones are multiples of 6 and the others sit in the middle of two multiples, hence leave remainder 3 each time divided by 6).
Sufficient

(2) x = 12k + 3 = 6(2k) + 3
Hence remainder when divided by 6 is 3
Sufficient

Answer is (d)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
What is the remainder when the positive integer x is divided by 6? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Macsen wrote:
What is the remainder when a positive integer x is divided by 6?

1. When x is divided by 2, the remainder is 1; and when x is divided by 3, the remainder is 0.
2. When x is divided by 12, the remainder is 3.

I chose B, but the OA says wrong. Can anyone please explain how do we derive a remainder from statement 1? Because from stmt 1, x can be 3 or anything in the form 3n, where n is odd.

Stmnt 1: When x is divided by 2, the remainder is 1; - It means x is odd.
and when x is divided by 3, the remainder is 0. - It means x is divisible by 3

So basically, stmnt 1 tells us that x is an odd multiple of 3 e.g. 3, 9, 15 etc. When you divide these numbers by 6, you will always get 3 as remainder.
Deduce it logically - x i.e. an odd multiple of 3 will always be 3 more than an even multiple of 3 since odd and even multiples of 3 will alternate (e.g. 3 (O), 6(E), 9(O), 12(E), 15(O), 18(E) etc)
Every even multiple of 3 is divisible by 6 so we can say that odd multiples of 3 are always 3 more than multiples of 6. Hence the remainder when you divide x by 6 will always be 3.

Stmnt 2: x is 3 more than a multiple of 12. Since 12 is divisible by 6, x is 3 more than a multiple of 6 too. Hence, remainder is always 3.

Answer (D)

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 16 Nov 2011, 21:59.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 08 Oct 2022, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2005 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: What is the remainder when the positive integer x is divided by 6? [#permalink]
Is there an algebraic approach to this problem? i am always confused whether to take an algebraic approach or number testing approach esp on remainder prblems. I don't want to make this decision in the exam hall. If I want to go in the exam hall with one approach which one it should be for remainder problems? Thanks
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NoHalfMeasures wrote:
Is there an algebraic approach to this problem? i am always confused whether to take an algebraic approach or number testing approach esp on remainder prblems. I don't want to make this decision in the exam hall. If I want to go in the exam hall with one approach which one it should be for remainder problems? Thanks

Hi,
each Q may have different method to be tackled efficiently ..
But the statements generally give you sufficient info to find the answer..
Algebric way may be better if you are to find the numeric value of remainder, may be in PS..
and working on the info avail in terms of putting values etc in case we are to find if there would be any remainder, but value is not required..

here the info is very straightforward..

1). When x is divided by 2, the remainder is 1; and when x is divided by 3, the remainder is 0
it is not div by 2, so will not be div by 6... suff

2). When x is divided by 12, the remainder is 3.
since div by 12 leaves an odd remainder, x is an odd number but 6 is an even number.. again suff
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2005 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
thanks for your reply chetan.
however the question does not ask if x is divisible by 6? it asks what is the remainder when x is divided by 6. St2 is quite straight forward. we can clearly see how the remainder should be 3. But st1 is not as intuitively clear. any thoughts there?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NoHalfMeasures wrote:
thanks for your reply chetan.
however the question does not ask if x is divisible by 6? it asks what is the remainder when x is divided by 6. St2 is quite straight forward. we can clearly see how the remainder should be 3. But st1 is not as intuitively clear. any thoughts there?

Hi,
sorry , i did not read the Q properly..
Statement 1 is slightly complex and we require to again play with the propperties of number..

three things..
1) 3 has alternate odd and even multiple..
2) we know x is an odd number, since it is not div by 2..
3) from 1 and 2 above x is an odd multiple of 3..
4) Also all even multiple of 3 will be div of 3, so the diff in x and lower even multiple of 3 will be 3, ..
hence remainder is 3
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hello,

I still don't understand why statement (1) is sufficient.

The number 3 fulfills all the requirements of statement (1). Hence, when it is divided by 6, there will be no remainder.
Like already mentioned before all the other numbers e.g. 9, 15, ... will result in a remainder of 3 when it is divided by 6.
My conclusion would be that there will be two possible solutions, either 0 or 3 --> Insufficient

Thank you very much for your help!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MaximilianKrempl wrote:
Hello,

I still don't understand why statement (1) is sufficient.

The number 3 fulfills all the requirements of statement (1). Hence, when it is divided by 6, there will be no remainder.
Like already mentioned before all the other numbers e.g. 9, 15, ... will result in a remainder of 3 when it is divided by 6.
My conclusion would be that there will be two possible solutions, either 0 or 3 --> Insufficient

Thank you very much for your help!

3 divided by 6 gives the remainder of 3: 3 = 0*6 + 3.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Sloan '26
GRE 1: Q166 V163
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
What is the remainder when the positive integer x is divided by 6? [#permalink]
Reviving an old thread, but I do have a question
Summoning Bunuel and KarishmaB

I know that statement (2) is sufficient since 6 is a factor of 12
Using the format of
\(number = quotient * some multiplier + remainder\):

I know that all of the other numbers satisfy all the 2 constraints from statement (1) and the constraint from the question stem ->
\( x = [9, 15, 21, ......] \)
all of which point to
\(x = 6 * multiplier + 3\),
thus we can conclude that the remainder is 3 for all of these numbers

Everyone agrees that statement (1) is also sufficient, but when I looked at statement 1, however, I'm having doubts especially considering one extreme value; 3.
The number three ticks both of the constraints of the statement (1) ie
\(3 = 2 *1 + 1\) and
\(3 = 3 * 1 + 0\)

Is the remainder of \(\frac{3}{6}\) is also 3? If so, why?

Or maybe generally speaking, how do you calculate the remainder when the numerator is smaller than the denominator ie a fraction?

thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618815 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
r_putra_rp wrote:
Reviving an old thread, but I do have a question
Summoning Bunuel and KarishmaB

I know that statement (2) is sufficient since 6 is a factor of 12
Using the format of
\(number = quotient * some multiplier + remainder\):

I know that all of the other numbers satisfy all the 2 constraints from statement (1) and the constraint from the question stem ->
\( x = [9, 15, 21, ......] \)
all of which point to
\(x = 6 * multiplier + 3\),
thus we can conclude that the remainder is 3 for all of these numbers

Everyone agrees that statement (1) is also sufficient, but when I looked at statement 1, however, I'm having doubts especially considering one extreme value; 3.
The number three ticks both of the constraints of the statement (1) ie
\(3 = 2 *1 + 1\) and
\(3 = 3 * 1 + 0\)

Is the remainder of \(\frac{3}{6}\) is also 3? If so, why?

Or maybe generally speaking, how do you calculate the remainder when the numerator is smaller than the denominator ie a fraction?

thanks!

Let me ask you a question: if you had 1 apple and wanted to distribute it evenly in 9 baskets, each basket would get 0 apples and 1 apple would be leftover (remainder).

When a divisor is larger than the dividend, then the remainder is the same as the dividend. For example:

3 divided by 4 yields a remainder of 3: 3 = 4*0 + 3.
9 divided by 14 yields a remainder of 9: 9 = 14*0 + 9.
1 divided by 9 yields a remainder of 1: 1 = 9*0 + 1.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA Center
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Education)
Send PM
Let's analyze each statement one by one.

Statement 1: When x is divided by 2, the remainder is 1, and when x is divided by 3, the remainder is 0.
From this statement, we know that x is an odd multiple of 2 because the remainder when divided by 2 is 1. Also, x is a multiple of 3 because the remainder when divided by 3 is 0. The smallest positive integer that satisfies these conditions is 3. When 3 is divided by 6, the remainder is 3. Therefore, statement 1 alone is sufficient to answer the question.

Now, let's consider statement 2: When x is divided by 12, the remainder is 3.
Statement 2 tells us that when x is divided by 12, the remainder is 3, telling us directly that the remainder of x when divided by 6 is 3.
In conclusion, statements 1 & 2 are sufficient to answer the question; the right answer is D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 258
Send PM
mybudgie wrote:

(1) When x is divided by 2, the remainder is 1; and when x is divided by 3, the remainder is 0.
(2) When x is divided by 12, the remainder is 3.

in a way we need to know what is the remainder when X divided by (3*2)
so statement 1 gives information of remainder when x is divided by 3 and 2 ie (3*2) so suffi

statement 2 since 6 is factor of 12, st 2 suffi

D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92900 posts