Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the sum of a certain pair of consecutive odd

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2008
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

What is the sum of a certain pair of consecutive odd [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2008, 03:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:32) correct 39% (00:38) wrong based on 69 sessions
What is the sum of a certain pair of consecutive odd integers?

(1) At least one of the integers is negative.
(2) At least one of the integers is positive.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Impossible is nothing...


Last edited by Bunuel on 08 Oct 2013, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added the OA
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS - S26 q25 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2008, 04:08
C

From A The values of x and y can be anything e.g. 1 3 , 5 7 , -1 1 as long as either is positive <-- INSUFFICIENT

From B The values of x and y can also be anything as long as one of them is negative e.g. -5 -3 , -1 1 etc. <-- INSUFFICIENT

When you combine them then the only values x and y can be are -1 and 1. Hence their sum is 0. Hence SUFFICIENT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 283
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS - S26 q25 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2008, 07:58
bsd_lover wrote:
C

From A The values of x and y can be anything e.g. 1 3 , 5 7 , -1 1 as long as either is positive <-- INSUFFICIENT

From B The values of x and y can also be anything as long as one of them is negative e.g. -5 -3 , -1 1 etc. <-- INSUFFICIENT

When you combine them then the only values x and y can be are -1 and 1. Hence their sum is 0. Hence SUFFICIENT.


BSD can u please elaborate the explanation (for both statements put together) When you combine them then the only values x and y can be are -1 and 1. Hence their sum is 0.

Many thanks
_________________

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 552
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS - S26 q25 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2008, 08:38
vdhawan1 - These are "consecutive" odd integers. if you take any -ve odd interger other than -1, the corresponding will also be negative, so the set will not satisfy both statements. Only (-1,1) will satify both.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Posts: 25
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 24

CAT Tests
Re: DS - S26 q25 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 00:58
durgesh79 wrote:
vdhawan1 - These are "consecutive" odd integers. if you take any -ve odd interger other than -1, the corresponding will also be negative, so the set will not satisfy both statements. Only (-1,1) will satify both.

Can someone expain, why the set (-5, -3,-1,1) can't be taken? It has both"Atleast one -ve" and "one +ve odd integer", and is a pair of consecutive odd integers.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 27531
Followers: 3487

Kudos [?]: 26177 [0], given: 2706

Re: DS - S26 q25 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 01:07
Expert's post
asingh203 wrote:
durgesh79 wrote:
What is the sum of a certain pair of consecutive odd integers?

(1) At least one of the integers is negative.
(2) At least one of the integers is positive.

vdhawan1 - These are "consecutive" odd integers. if you take any -ve odd interger other than -1, the corresponding will also be negative, so the set will not satisfy both statements. Only (-1,1) will satify both.

Can someone expain, why the set (-5, -3,-1,1) can't be taken? It has both"Atleast one -ve" and "one +ve odd integer", and is a pair of consecutive odd integers.


That's because we have a pair of consecutive odd integers, so 2 integers only.

Does this make sense?
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Posts: 25
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 24

CAT Tests
Re: DS - S26 q25 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 09:08
Ahh.. my bad, I misread it. Thanks for clarifying!
Bunuel wrote:
asingh203 wrote:
durgesh79 wrote:
What is the sum of a certain pair of consecutive odd integers?

(1) At least one of the integers is negative.
(2) At least one of the integers is positive.

vdhawan1 - These are "consecutive" odd integers. if you take any -ve odd interger other than -1, the corresponding will also be negative, so the set will not satisfy both statements. Only (-1,1) will satify both.

Can someone expain, why the set (-5, -3,-1,1) can't be taken? It has both"Atleast one -ve" and "one +ve odd integer", and is a pair of consecutive odd integers.


That's because we have a pair of consecutive odd integers, so 2 integers only.

Does this make sense?
Re: DS - S26 q25   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2013, 09:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
What is the product of a certain pair of consecutive odd mrinal2100 7 15 Oct 2010, 23:27
What is the sum of a certain pair of consecutive odd mymba99 1 04 May 2008, 11:56
What is the sum of a certain pair of consecutive odd shinewine 5 30 Aug 2006, 03:29
What is the sum of a certain pair of consecutive odd ong 4 05 Aug 2006, 07:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the sum of a certain pair of consecutive odd

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.