Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the sum of four consecutive odd integers? 1. Product

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2769
Location: New York City
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 4

What is the sum of four consecutive odd integers? 1. Product [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 05:51
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
What is the sum of four consecutive odd integers?

1. Product of four integers is 105
2. Median of four integers is 4

Please explain your answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 497
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 06:33
four consecutive odd integer x, x+2, x+4, x+6

statement 1 product of x*(x+2)*(x+4)*(x+6)=105; therefore, 1*3*5*7=105, 1+3+5+7=16 sufficient

statement 2 median of four integers is 4, median is [(x+2)+(x+4)]/2=4; therefore, x=1 1+3+5+7=16 sufficient

Answer D
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2769
Location: New York City
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 03:12
eileen1017 wrote:
four consecutive odd integer x, x+2, x+4, x+6

statement 1 product of x*(x+2)*(x+4)*(x+6)=105; therefore, 1*3*5*7=105, 1+3+5+7=16 sufficient

statement 2 median of four integers is 4, median is [(x+2)+(x+4)]/2=4; therefore, x=1 1+3+5+7=16 sufficient

Answer D


OA is B.

Statement 1:
We know 105 is a multiple of 5, so at least 1 odd integer will be a multiple of 5. See what the remaining product is:
105/5=21, we know prime factors of 21 are 3 and 7, so now we have all 4 integers: 1, 3, 5, 7.

However, since there is an even number of numbers being multiplied, it'll also work if they're all negative (-7, -5, -3, -1). Thus, we can't determine which of the two sets is the one we're looking for, since one sum will be positive and the other negative. Insufficient.

Statement 2:
4 consecutive odd integers with mean of the two middle ones being 4, we know that can only be 3 and 5, thus the other two are 1 and 7.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 497
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 06:19
bmwhype2 wrote:
eileen1017 wrote:
four consecutive odd integer x, x+2, x+4, x+6

statement 1 product of x*(x+2)*(x+4)*(x+6)=105; therefore, 1*3*5*7=105, 1+3+5+7=16 sufficient

statement 2 median of four integers is 4, median is [(x+2)+(x+4)]/2=4; therefore, x=1 1+3+5+7=16 sufficient

Answer D


OA is B.

Statement 1:
We know 105 is a multiple of 5, so at least 1 odd integer will be a multiple of 5. See what the remaining product is:
105/5=21, we know prime factors of 21 are 3 and 7, so now we have all 4 integers: 1, 3, 5, 7.

However, since there is an even number of numbers being multiplied, it'll also work if they're all negative (-7, -5, -3, -1). Thus, we can't determine which of the two sets is the one we're looking for, since one sum will be positive and the other negative. Insufficient.

Statement 2:
4 consecutive odd integers with mean of the two middle ones being 4, we know that can only be 3 and 5, thus the other two are 1 and 7.


Thanks. I guess I can't assume the integers being all positive without the condition stated explicitly.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2769
Location: New York City
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 4

 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 06:43
eileen1017 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
eileen1017 wrote:
four consecutive odd integer x, x+2, x+4, x+6

statement 1 product of x*(x+2)*(x+4)*(x+6)=105; therefore, 1*3*5*7=105, 1+3+5+7=16 sufficient

statement 2 median of four integers is 4, median is [(x+2)+(x+4)]/2=4; therefore, x=1 1+3+5+7=16 sufficient

Answer D


OA is B.

Statement 1:
We know 105 is a multiple of 5, so at least 1 odd integer will be a multiple of 5. See what the remaining product is:
105/5=21, we know prime factors of 21 are 3 and 7, so now we have all 4 integers: 1, 3, 5, 7.

However, since there is an even number of numbers being multiplied, it'll also work if they're all negative (-7, -5, -3, -1). Thus, we can't determine which of the two sets is the one we're looking for, since one sum will be positive and the other negative. Insufficient.

Statement 2:
4 consecutive odd integers with mean of the two middle ones being 4, we know that can only be 3 and 5, thus the other two are 1 and 7.


Thanks. I guess I can't assume the integers being all positive without the condition stated explicitly.


yep. everytime i approach a DS question, i ask myself is it a positive integer fraction -1, 0, 1.
  [#permalink] 15 Nov 2007, 06:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic The sum of four consecutive odd numbers is equal to the sum bindiyajoisher 12 21 Sep 2011, 10:52
If x and y are consecutive odd integers, what is the sum of dobinnoli 2 15 Dec 2009, 08:33
If x and y are consecutive odd integers, what is the sum of vannu 5 10 Jul 2009, 12:04
If x and y are consecutive odd integers, what is the sum of jimmylow 3 22 Mar 2008, 01:01
The Sum of first N consecutive odd integers is N^2. What is ghantark 9 02 Aug 2006, 16:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What is the sum of four consecutive odd integers? 1. Product

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.