Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 03:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the value of x/yz?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What is the value of x/yz? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2009, 18:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:43) correct 25% (01:18) wrong based on 78 sessions

(1) x = y/2 and z = 2x/5
(2) x/z = 5/2 and 1/y = 1/10

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Hi guys, this was written before I saw the post on how to write mathematically correct in the forum.

DS #90:

My question about this problem has to do with part 1. The question is fairly simple: Why in part 1 can’t I make all signs match up and equal x? x/yz would then look like this in the way I did it: x / 2x*2x/5.

Here is what the book says:

(1) From this, z can be expressed in terms of y by substituting y/2 for x in the equation z=2x/5, which gives us z=2(2/5) / 5= y/5. The value of x/yz in terms of y is then y/2 / y(y/5) = y/2(5/y[squared])=5/2y. This expression cannot be evaluated further since no information is given about the value of y; not sufficient. (BCE).

Here is how I did it:

What I did is take x=y/2 and make it 2x=y (which Quant book did not do), which then gave me: x / 2x*2x/5, which gave me x / 4x/5, which equals 5x / 4x, and I get 5/4. Meaning I mark this as AD and move to part 2.

Part 2 is easier to solve because we just plug in: y=10, x=5, z=2. 5/10*2=1/4, for which I pick letter D as my answer because both solutions by them selves are sufficient.

One of the big problems I see with my answer is that in part 1 I got 5/4, and in part 2 I got ¼, which is a contradiction and according to MGMAT, I did something wrong.

Please explain this problem and let me know whether and if so, then why I am wrong.

Thanks,

FinanceGuy25
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Jul 2013, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added the OA
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 515 [0], given: 19

Re: Quant DS #90 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2009, 19:09
financeguy25 wrote:
Hi guys, this was written before I saw the post on how to write mathematically correct in the forum.

DS #90:

What is the value of x / yz ?

1. x=y/2 and z=2x/5
2. x/z=5/2 and 1/y=1/10

My question about this problem has to do with part 1. The question is fairly simple: Why in part 1 can’t I make all signs match up and equal x? x/yz would then look like this in the way I did it: x / 2x*2x/5.

(1) From this, z can be expressed in terms of y by substituting y/2 for x in the equation z=2x/5, which gives us z=2(2/5) / 5= y/5. The value of x/yz in terms of y is then y/2 / y(y/5) = y/2(5/y[squared])=5/2y. This expression cannot be evaluated further since no information is given about the value of y; not sufficient. (BCE).

Here is how I did it:

What I did is take x=y/2 and make it 2x=y (which Quant book did not do), which then gave me: x / 2x*2x/5, which gave me x / 4x/5, which equals 5x / 4x, and I get 5/4. Meaning I mark this as AD and move to part 2.

Part 2 is easier to solve because we just plug in: y=10, x=5, z=2. 5/10*2=1/4, for which I pick letter D as my answer because both solutions by them selves are sufficient.

One of the big problems I see with my answer is that in part 1 I got 5/4, and in part 2 I got ¼, which is a contradiction and according to MGMAT, I did something wrong.

Please explain this problem and let me know whether and if so, then why I am wrong.

Thanks,

FinanceGuy25

Note the red part:

x/yz = x/[(2x*2x)/5] = 5x/4x^2 = 5/4x

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Quant DS #90 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2009, 19:28
we can write z = 2y/10

x = y/2

then (y/2) / ((y*y)/5) = 5/2y

so A is insufficient
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Quant DS #90 [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2009, 20:01
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help...Thanks GMAT Tiger for pointing out the mistake, I forgot that 2x*2x=4x[Squared], not just 4x.

Thanks,

Financeguy25
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: What is the value of x / yz ? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 02:48
financeguy25 wrote:

1. x=y/2 and z=2x/5
2. x/z=5/2 and 1/y=1/10

Hi Bunuel/Instructors,
I have a doubt :
(In red above) how can we cancel Y in numerator with Y in denominator, if the problem doesnt states: y IS NOT= 0.
As the cancellation of Y(or for any variable) involves/multiplication or division by Y on both ends.

So far as I understand GMAT has marked statements in many DS Qs as insuffiecient on this ground stating "we cant divide by a variable unless it is mentioned as non zero"

I observed similar things in Q57(where m/n = 5/3 has been cross multiplied to 5n =3m) - they ignored the point that if m or n is 0 then the answer B wont be SUFFICIENT.

& Q15(in option B, they have ignored the case of x=0, which if true makes B not sufficient as it also the solution also involves division by a variable )

ARE there any particular scenarios in which we are allowed to divide/multiply varibles or transfer them by cross multiplication in an equation.
OR where am i lacking in my basics ?

Please help !!
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3636

Kudos [?]: 29404 [0], given: 2932

Re: What is the value of x / yz ? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 03:40
Expert's post
p111 wrote:
financeguy25 wrote:

1. x=y/2 and z=2x/5
2. x/z=5/2 and 1/y=1/10

Hi Bunuel/Instructors,
I have a doubt :
(In red above) how can we cancel Y in numerator with Y in denominator, if the problem doesnt states: y IS NOT= 0.
As the cancellation of Y(or for any variable) involves/multiplication or division by Y on both ends.

So far as I understand GMAT has marked statements in many DS Qs as insuffiecient on this ground stating "we cant divide by a variable unless it is mentioned as non zero"

I observed similar things in Q57(where m/n = 5/3 has been cross multiplied to 5n =3m) - they ignored the point that if m or n is 0 then the answer B wont be SUFFICIENT.

& Q15(in option B, they have ignored the case of x=0, which if true makes B not sufficient as it also the solution also involves division by a variable )

ARE there any particular scenarios in which we are allowed to divide/multiply varibles or transfer them by cross multiplication in an equation.
OR where am i lacking in my basics ?

Please help !!

(1) x = \frac{y}{2} and z = \frac{2x}{5}. If y=10, then x=5, z=2 and in this case \frac{x}{yz}=\frac{5}{20}=\frac{1}{4} BUT if y=20, then x=10, z=4 and in this case \frac{x}{yz}=\frac{10}{80}=\frac{1}{8}. Not sufficient.

(2) \frac{x}{z} = \frac{5}{2} and \frac{1}{y} = \frac{1}{10}. Multiply these two equations: \frac{x}{yz}=\frac{5}{20}. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

As for your questions:
1. Yes, it would be better if the stem stated that yz\neq{0}. If you don't state that, then x=y=z=0 satisfies the first statement and in this case x/(yz) is undefined.

2. As for m/n = 5/3. This equation already implies that neither of them is zero: if m=0, then m/n = 0 and not 5/3 and if n=0, then m/n is not defined, and not 5/3. So, in this case we can write 3m = 5n.

3. I don't know what question is Q15.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

Re: What is the value of x / yz ? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 05:24
Hi,
Appologies for the PM, I wasnt aware.

Bunuel wrote:
As for your questions:
1. Yes, it would be better if the stem stated that yz\neq{0}. If you don't state that, then x=y=z=0 satisfies the first statement and in this case x/(yz) is undefined.

I think you understand my doubt. The scenarios(x,y,z=0) will make the solution undefined. Hence answer E. (Thats the way i solved, considering all scenarios)
SO why are we not picking these values as well? The statement is meant to be true for all real numbers ~ RIGHT ?
How to decide between option D(here) & option E for such questions in exam.
:) Seeking lessons from your experience

Bunuel wrote:

It is question 15 from Data sufficiency & Q57 is question 57. :o
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3636

Kudos [?]: 29404 [0], given: 2932

Re: What is the value of x / yz ? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 05:36
Expert's post
p111 wrote:
Hi,
Appologies for the PM, I wasnt aware.

Bunuel wrote:
As for your questions:

I think you understand my doubt. The scenarios(x,y,z=0) will make the solution undefined. Hence answer E. (Thats the way i solved, considering all scenarios)
SO why are we not picking these values as well? The statement is meant to be true for all real numbers ~ RIGHT ?
How to decide between option D(here) & option E for such questions in exam.
:) Seeking lessons from your experience

Bunuel wrote:

It is question 15 from Data sufficiency & Q57 is question 57. :o

The answer to the question is neither D nor E, it's B.

(1) is not sufficient irrespective whether you have yz\neq{0} condition or not. The point is that, their solution for (1) is not 100% correct since it's not mentioned that yz\neq{0}.

(2) is still sufficient as shown in my post above.

As for Q15 and Q57: I don't know what questions are you talking about. Please post them.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: What is the value of x / yz ?   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2013, 05:36