Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1029 [0]
Concentration: General
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1276 [0]
 Q50  V31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [0]
Send PM
Re: What is the volume of a cardboard box with sides a, b, and [#permalink]
vivektripathi wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:
ans is A.

stat 1) vol = product of three sides , which is given in A.

stat 2) the third side is not given. can be anything.

No where it is mentioned that a, b and c are lenth. breadth and hight.
Hence it should be "E"

I agree, yet the official answer is A. These kind of pseudo-subjective questions that are open to interpretation are what scare me come test time. If I had the chance to explain my answers once the test was done, I could easily bump my score up 50 points. Any suggestions?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
brokerbevo wrote:
vivektripathi wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:
ans is A.

stat 1) vol = product of three sides , which is given in A.

stat 2) the third side is not given. can be anything.

No where it is mentioned that a, b and c are lenth. breadth and hight.
Hence it should be "E"

I agree, yet the official answer is A. These kind of pseudo-subjective questions that are open to interpretation are what scare me come test time. If I had the chance to explain my answers once the test was done, I could easily bump my score up 50 points. Any suggestions?

While I agree that the word cardboard box (rectangular box and not a cube because all sides are not equal) does not tell any thing about the sides ( about L B H), Is it possible for a rectangular box (with 6 sides) to have 6 different sides?? IMO, NO. The sides of a rectangular box are the same and when they sides a,b,c they are the L, B, H indeed.

The ambiguity comes down to whether we can imagine cardboard box as rectangular box or NO.

Thoughts Fellas??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I agree with icandy.

It is not mentioned whethere card box is rectangular box.

Otherwise. I will go with A. as abc = 12.
Whether a is length or height or depth. Does not make any difference in final volume.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Twoone wrote:
I agree with icandy.

It is not mentioned whethere card box is rectangular box.

Otherwise. I will go with A. as abc = 12.
Whether a is length or height or depth. Does not make any difference in final volume.

But Stmt 1 states that abc = 12 This "could" mean that a and b are the length (a = 2 and b = 2) and c is the width (c = 3). In this case, we don't know the height (perhaps "d" or some other variable) so therefore, statement 1 does not give enough info. We can not assume that a, b and c give us different pieces of data (height, width and length) because 2 or more of them could give us the same piece of information.

Statement 2 is obviously not sufficient

When taken together, we still have the same issue: can not assume that a, b and c give us different segments of the box.

More comments welcome!!! :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks!!

I got it. :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [0]
Send PM
My reading on such questions is that if it mentions sides as a,b,c, I will assume a, b and c represent three distinct values and for a rectangular box, sides cannot have more than three distinct values.

Hence, I will go with answer A.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
scthakur wrote:
My reading on such questions is that if it mentions sides as a,b,c, I will assume a, b and c represent three distinct values and for a rectangular box, sides cannot have more than three distinct values.

I kind of see what you are saying. Could you please point out what is wrong with my make-shift diagram I put together, it might make more sense to me when viewed visually. Thanks!! :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
brokerbevo wrote:
What is the volume of a cardboard box with sides a, b, and c?

1. \(a = \frac{12}{bc}\)

2. \(b = 3, c = 2\)

See attached for spoiler and a follow-up question

IMO, in case of ractangular/square/cube solid, always only 3 dimensions are given. when the question stem says sides a, b, and c they are different measurement of of length, bredth, and height.

No question asks to find the area or volume providing the measurements for all (six) sides. So the only thing that we need to make sure is whether the given solid is square or cube or rectangular.

However, I also agree that the question is definitely unclear.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
brokerbevo wrote:
I agree, yet the official answer is A. These kind of pseudo-subjective questions that are open to interpretation are what scare me come test time. If I had the chance to explain my answers once the test was done, I could easily bump my score up 50 points.

Can you point out a single real GMAT question (from the OG, GMATPrep, or GMATFocus) that is ambiguous in its wording? GMAC spends $2400 designing each question in part to avoid any ambiguity; ambiguity eliminates any value a question might have on the GMAT, because an ambiguous question won't be answered much better by good test takers than by bad ones. So an ambiguous question does not give much information about your ability, and is essentially useless in helping to determine your score. If you did see a truly ambiguous question on your real GMAT (though I can assure you that you won't), it could only be a diagnostic question, because any ambiguously worded question would be discarded once calibration data was collected on it- the question would not provide good data.

And while I get your point about the above question, I'd interpret it the same way as GMATTiger; the question appears to intend for a, b and c to represent the three different dimensions of the box. I can't imagine you'd see a real GMAT question with that exact wording, however.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [0]
Send PM
brokerbevo wrote:
scthakur wrote:

I kind of see what you are saying. Could you please point out what is wrong with my make-shift diagram I put together, it might make more sense to me when viewed visually. Thanks!! :)

In your first diagram, I will treat depth of diagram to be 2 (if length and width are 2 and 3 respectively).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
GMAT TIGER wrote:
brokerbevo wrote:
What is the volume of a cardboard box with sides a, b, and c?

1. \(a = \frac{12}{bc}\)

2. \(b = 3, c = 2\)

See attached for spoiler and a follow-up question

IMO, in case of ractangular/square/cube solid, always only 3 dimensions are given. when the question stem says sides a, b, and c they are different measurement of of length, bredth, and height.

No question asks to find the area or volume providing the measurements for all (six) sides. So the only thing that we need to make sure is whether the given solid is square or cube or rectangular.

However, I also agree that the question is definitely unclear.

Having said all above, your argument would make more sense if the question asked to find the measurement of L, B and H.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts