Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is X?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Rotman '16 (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
What is X? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 18:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:51) correct 29% (00:35) wrong based on 35 sessions
What is x?

(1) x= 4y-4
(2) xy = 8
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by uwengdori on 23 Dec 2013, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Schools: Rotman '16 (A)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: What is X? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2013, 18:59
uwengdori wrote:
Hi, I'm working on MGMAT algebra, and one question is

what is x?
1) x= 4y-4
2) xy = 8

Easy stuff obviously. we substitute and we get y = 2, and y = -1, which gives us x = 4, and x = -8

My question is I thought the answer would be 'C', but the answer says E. yes there are two x solutions, but from a quadratic equation pt of view, we did find definite solid answers for x, which are the two values we found above. So the way my brain thinks is we did answer the question of 'what the x is'. It is a singular 'is' in the question but still.

Of course, there are many scenarios of DS, but when solving DS questions, should I assume that there is absolutely and should only be one single answer in such cases as this?
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3429

Kudos [?]: 25228 [0], given: 2702

Re: What is X? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 01:15
Expert's post
uwengdori wrote:
uwengdori wrote:

what is x?
1) x= 4y-4
2) xy = 8

Easy stuff obviously. we substitute and we get y = 2, and y = -1, which gives us x = 4, and x = -8

My question is I thought the answer would be 'C', but the answer says E. yes there are two x solutions, but from a quadratic equation pt of view, we did find definite solid answers for x, which are the two values we found above. So the way my brain thinks is we did answer the question of 'what the x is'. It is a singular 'is' in the question but still.

Of course, there are many scenarios of DS, but when solving DS questions, should I assume that there is absolutely and should only be one single answer in such cases as this?

When a DS question asks about the value of some variable, then the statement is sufficient ONLY if you can get the single numerical value of this variable.

Since you get TWO possible values of x, the statements are not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 2332 [0], given: 693

Re: What is X? [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 02:26
Expert's post
uwengdori wrote:
uwengdori wrote:

what is x?
1) x= 4y-4
2) xy = 8

even without substitution or solving the two statements combined you get E: becasue you still do not the value of Y, via the other way around.

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-15-2014

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

The value of x: 2 roots problem [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 01:24
Hello there =)

I'm using the Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides set for preparation and I've come across several obvious mistakes in the answers/explanations that follow the problem sets. This time, however, I cannot decide whether the "official" answer is a mistake or is it just that my understanding of the question mismatches the one of the GMAT tests / guides compilers.

So, without further ado, here it goes. In the problem set concluding the Quadratic Expressions chapter of the Algebra guide there is an extremely easy task for Data Sufficiency, namely:

DS: What is x?

(1) x = 4y - 4
(2) xy = 8

It is not too hard to see that the possible x's values are -8 and 4, and we can only come to that conclusion by using both statements simultaneously. Hence, my answer choice is C. The Manhattan people, however, quite disagree, and I quote:

"10. (E): Each statement alone is not enough information to solve for x. Using statements 1 and 2 combined,
if you substitute the expression for x in the first equation, into the second, you get two different answers:

/here goes the detailed solving process/

(E) Statements 1 and 2 TOGETHER are NOT SUFFICIENT".

I'm begging you, explain this to me :shock: I could've understood it if the question was formulated as "what is the VALUE of x", but in its current wording I can only answer that, using both statements provided, we can derive that x assumes values of -8 and 4. Is existence of several clearly defined roots considered as absence of a value of a variable in English-speaking world, is this simply a typo or am I completely dumb? :oops:

Thanks in advance =)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 397

Re: The value of x: 2 roots problem [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 02:59
Hi,

i have not even checked my calculation but took me 20 seconds to find out it was E.

This is a typical GMAT DS problem: in theory you end up with to answers since you have (with both) 8=4y² - 4y

You end up with your two possibilities and you will have two value of X. Since you are asked only one, the answer is E.

Hope it helps

Think outside the box

Intern
Intern

Re: The value of x: 2 roots problem [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 04:28
Paris75

Thanks for answering =) However, I still don't get it: the "E" option implies that the information given in the two statements is not enough to provide an answer to the question stated as follows: "What is x?", which means, to my mind, the same as "What is the solution for these equations in terms of x?", which, in turn, equals the task of solving the equation / the system of two equations. And that's the answer: x takes values of -8 and 4, it is the solution, it's just that in the hard and tangled real life variables may assume more than just one value. Or shall I always understand such questions as those requiring one and only possible value as an answer?
Intern
Intern

Re: The value of x: 2 roots problem [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 04:38
By the way, I'm not completely sure I posted this in the right thread, it seems that this subforum is dedicated to posting the tasks rather than asking how to solve them. Strictly speaking, I did post a task here, but it still doesn't feel right =) Would you kindly redirect me to the right subforum -- I already have found another task seemingly wrongly solved by the much respected Manhattans, but I don't want to risk posting my second plea for help not in the right place, too =)
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3429

Kudos [?]: 25228 [0], given: 2702

Re: The value of x: 2 roots problem [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 05:06
Expert's post
werbliben wrote:
Hello there =)

I'm using the Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides set for preparation and I've come across several obvious mistakes in the answers/explanations that follow the problem sets. This time, however, I cannot decide whether the "official" answer is a mistake or is it just that my understanding of the question mismatches the one of the GMAT tests / guides compilers.

So, without further ado, here it goes. In the problem set concluding the Quadratic Expressions chapter of the Algebra guide there is an extremely easy task for Data Sufficiency, namely:

DS: What is x?

(1) x = 4y - 4
(2) xy = 8

It is not too hard to see that the possible x's values are -8 and 4, and we can only come to that conclusion by using both statements simultaneously. Hence, my answer choice is C. The Manhattan people, however, quite disagree, and I quote:

"10. (E): Each statement alone is not enough information to solve for x. Using statements 1 and 2 combined,
if you substitute the expression for x in the first equation, into the second, you get two different answers:

/here goes the detailed solving process/

(E) Statements 1 and 2 TOGETHER are NOT SUFFICIENT".

I'm begging you, explain this to me :shock: I could've understood it if the question was formulated as "what is the VALUE of x", but in its current wording I can only answer that, using both statements provided, we can derive that x assumes values of -8 and 4. Is existence of several clearly defined roots considered as absence of a value of a variable in English-speaking world, is this simply a typo or am I completely dumb? :oops:

Thanks in advance =)

Merging similar topics.

For answer check this post: what-is-x-164957.html#p1309657

Hope this helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: What is X? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 05:28
Bunuel

Thanks =) And my apologies for double-posting this task.
Re: What is X?   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2014, 05:28