Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.3
WE:Business Development (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: What is your plan B? [#permalink]
good question. it turns out to be asked during interviews :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
So a bit of context.
The company I worked for does MBA sponsorships. But things weren't looking good (No one was getting any sponsorship) and this was the second time I had applied (First time I got accepted but then there were some "issues" no one could point to specifically so what ever.) I decided I was going one way or the other.
* Plan A-I Sponsorship from the company.
* Plan A-II Finding a loan.
* Plan B Take 6 months of work (A possibility in that company) to study some subjects I'm interested in and go Climbing/Surfing/Skydiving around the country. Clear my mind and try again.

Plan A-I didn't work and had to find loans which turns out is not very easy. I ended up finding Prodigy Finance; Prodigy Finance is a loan provider that specifically funds students who are travelling abroad for their MBAs, and they don't require a co-signer. They have loan programmes with quite a few top business schools in Europe, the UK and the US, so depending on what business school you're going to, they may be able to help you out. I was accepted in IE and IE is one of the schools they have.
So plan A-II it is. Thing is the intake starts in 5 months so why not go for plan B too? I quit my job and now use the time to study the things I want and to climb/surf/skydive with my mates.

Even if plan A-II had not worked I would have taken the plan B for various reasons.
When things don't work; you are either missing something or doing it the wrong way and you need to take a few steps back to regroup.
Taking time off to study helps you add more skills to your person. Skills and knowledge that could be missing in any of the steps needed to get into a BS and/or finance it.
Taking time off and travel/workout/sports helps you clear your mind.
One thing was sure is I was not going to quit. I wanted to do an MBA and it was going to happen.
I had done a similar thing back when I graduated before I went looking for jobs. I took some time off to go surfing. It helps a lot and you see things with more clarity so you can make the right decisions.

Don't quit. It is a long and tiring going through all the required exams, the application process and loans. You will stumble, you will find your self doing things several times and getting some wrong but don't quit. I fought for this two full years and many times I felt frustrated. I didn't quit and at the end it worked out for the program I wanted with the best terms for me.

So if you need to, take time off but only to try again.

Best of luck!

Andrés
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Plan B - go travel for a bit, clear my head and hopefully during my travel discover something about myself and what I want to do. Come back..get a job...
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bump
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot