Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: What job should i seek to improve MBA admission chances? [#permalink]
fiat wrote:
Thank you for your response and time spent understanding my situation. Part of the reason I’m in my position is because I haven’t had or asked for guidance from role models whose achievements I would like to emulate.

<<snip>>

Thanks for your guidance; any questions I asked above are not spurious and I would really value your opinions.

Bonus question: should I try for a Master's in Finance (one year program) somewhere instead? I imagine it is easier to get in, shorter, and still gives a salary bump and makes finding a job easier. Would that derail the story (energy oil and gas) that i'm trying to build?

Dear Fiat,
Apologies, but seems this post missed my attention and hence remained unanswered. Not sure if you've gotten the answers already, but here goes:

1. For the schools in your list, a 740 will definitely help. Given the fact that it is still early days for this year's cycle to begin, you can utilize the time to go up the GMAT ladder. Either by yourself or with professional help - but go for it.
  2. Well, Houston is the hub as you've rightly mentioned for that sector. So the big game is there. Other geographies are likely to be limited in action and scope unless you are open for international locations.
  3. XX
  4. It usually is not looked upon well by most adcoms. So be prepared to justify why your recent supervisor(s) are/is not giving you a reco.
  5. That doesnt cut water unfortunately. That's akin to telling a company that I dont want to work today because I dont feel like it - I dont care if that means that the firm will lose $X million for instance. There are rules / guidelines that most firms have to abide to ensure people/departments cooperate. While that attitude may be ok in your own firm, a large firm is likely to look down upon that. That doesnt mean that for instance, 'vacationing' is bad. But you HAVE to be prepared to justify/share why you did that, how it helped you, and how it did not hamper the firm you were part of. Random, unexplained career gaps can blow a death knell on your application.
  6. Bonus reply: MiF is likely to take you away from your career goal. So I wouldnt recommend it.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What job should i seek to improve MBA admission chances? [#permalink]