Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Jul 2014, 23:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What kind of school can I get into?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 20

What kind of school can I get into? [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 20:18
First, confession. I was debating about making this thread or go with the head in the sand approach. I was worried that I'll get responses shooting down my hopes. That said, I feel like I have to know this. I'm looking to go into finance. What kind of school can I get into? (Top what?) Anyway here are the parts of my application divided into quantitative and qualitative:

Quantitative: This is the strength of my application IMO. Granted it's not national news worthy, lol, but all things considered I'm decent in this area. 690 GMAT Q44 V41 AWA 4.5 (blah, but I don't think this one matters too much). My GPA is good at 3.75. Granted it was in a city college in Marketing (not as difficult of a major as finance). So even the quantitative portion has question marks. Especially if I apply to an out of state college that has never heard of my city college.

Qualitative: This is the part that really worries me. Right now I have only a year and 3 months of full time non-intership work experience (I had some before in a seasonal job though for 4 months). However at least presently I have an entry level position at a media company. I don't work for some impressive name like Morgan Stanley or something. My job is also not rocket science. I also have no leadership experience. I worry that my essays will be weak and I won't stand out or even worse will stand out in a negative way.

My questions are 1) Where can I realistically get in with these qualifications? Will the qualitative hurt? 2) How can I remedy my situation? Get better experience? Make my essays sound as good as possible?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: What kind of school can I get into? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 16:54
First glance $.02:

Respectable GMAT (key question: did you pass the 80/80 percentile?) and very respectable GPA (key question: is your program reputed as easy or hard?) is a 'solid' app to 'any' bschool.

Work experience: Frankly, top bschools are going younger to compete with law schools for talent. I'm very much *not* convinced it's a good idea on their part (I would 100% rather have a 35 year old MBA grad with 10 years W/E in an industry I needed than a 25 year old MBA grad with 0 W/E) but I also don't sit on their boards.

My initial glance is you're competitive at any top 10, assuming your essays and non-academics match up. *shrug*

- LSMBA

Edit: I challenge your statement "I have no leadership experience." Leadership is what you make of it. I'm the oldest of five, a founder of multiple college groups, and leader of several corporate movements. None of those are *official* leadership positions, but you can bet that all of them required making people do what I told them to without 'direct authority' of any kind. Re-evaluate what 'leadership' means. :)
Re: What kind of school can I get into?   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2009, 16:54