Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What kinds of questions can I expect for 700-750+ level?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

What kinds of questions can I expect for 700-750+ level? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 07:25
I'm just curious what would be a typical mix of quant questions.

Would I ever get something that would ask terminology-type questions. I'm doing my math review with Conquer GMAT math, which is working out really well for me to recall all the math I've long forgotten, but some of their practice questions are like this:

Which property is illustrated by this statement?

(9 + 3) + 0 = 9 + 3

A. Communicative
B. Distributive
C. Addition
D. Inverse
E. Multiplication

This is not a real question from the book, I just made it up based on something I've seen there. I figure that since the book even mentions these and has a few practice questions about this stuff, it may be on the test. Or is the book taking it too far, and GMAT only cares that you know how to calculate algebraic equations? I'm very good with basic algebra, but don't remember ever learning this nomenclature, and don't really care to if I don't have to.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1127 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: What kinds of questions can I expect for 700-750+ level? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 07:28
In the GMAT you won't find a question like this one. It is not a school test to see if you know the theory.
No nomenclature, don't worry :)

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 65

Re: What kinds of questions can I expect for 700-750+ level? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 08:01
GMAT is an adaptive test that measures your skill level by throwing 500+, 600+, 700+ questions. How many of such questions would you see in the test depends on your skill level. Typically, the test would start of with couple of 600+ question and if you answer them correctly, the 9 - 10 questions. Later questions would be around your skill level and if you answer all the questions correctly, the questions get tougher and tougher - 700+, 750+.. so, if your skill level is 700+ you might see lot of 700+ questions.

Occasionally, GMAT tricks you and gives you a 600 level while you are at 700+ and if you answer such question wrong, your score will fall drastically and it would be difficult to recover especially at the later end of test.. Hence, while preparing you want to 1st make sure you can answer all easy correctly. Next, make sure all medium questions are answered correctly.. on a consistent manner.. no careless errors.. then move on to tough or 700 level questions..

Remember, if you can't answer easy and medium level questions correctly for whatever reason - test anxiety, lack of sleep the previous night, lack of focus, you'll never see a 700 level questions on the test..

These are takeaways from a 500 scorer looking to improve to 700.

Good luck with your preparations...

//kudos please, if the above explanation is good

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: What kinds of questions can I expect for 700-750+ level? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 08:23
Zarrolou wrote:
In the GMAT you won't find a question like this one. It is not a school test to see if you know the theory.
No nomenclature, don't worry :)

Thanks! Kinda what I thought, but figured I'd check with people who know more about it.

What about simple math, say they give you a number like 1689 and ask if it's divisible by 6 and 3? Or a question asking to calculate the least common multiple or greatest common divisor? Or would that be wrapped up into some sort of DS or other worded problem?
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1127 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: What kinds of questions can I expect for 700-750+ level? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 08:32
Dixon wrote:
What about simple math, say they give you a number like 1689 and ask if it's divisible by 6 and 3? Or a question asking to calculate the least common multiple or greatest common divisor? Or would that be wrapped up into some sort of DS or other worded problem?

Question like those are very likely to be found in the test; however the GMAT won't ask you:"what is the LCM?"
They are all practical questions, but of course you need also the theory to answer correctly!

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2221

Kudos [?]: 8242 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What kinds of questions can I expect for 700-750+ level? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 09:23
Expert's post
I would say you will see a lot of arithmetic and only a few really hard topics. Most of the questions will test your knowledge of high school math but with a twist at those levels. One thing for sure - prepare to see at least one question you have never solved before and never seen (again if you are at 750+ level) so prepare to be stumped and having to experiment and try a few approaches. Good luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: What kinds of questions can I expect for 700-750+ level?   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2013, 09:23