Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: What Level of School Can I Get In To? [#permalink]
artkin76 wrote:
Hello,

Just starting to research some schools and I am curious if anyone can give me some insight into what my expectations should be during the application process. Basically, I want to know what level school I can get into, meaning top tier, top 10, top 5, etc. I know a lot more goes into choosing schools, but I really just want to have a point of reference from which to determine "reach" schools and "safety schools". Below is my brief profile, any help would be greatly appreciated:

Male, Age 28
White
GMAT: 710 (45 Verbal - 98% / 43 Quant - 65%)
Undergrad GPA: 3.6 from a NESCAC school
Job Experience: 1 year paralegal, 5 years investment management (wealth management) with top wall street firm. I am hoping the finance experience will help prop up the low quant score. I also just took Level 1 CFA so if I pass it that might help a bit too.
Volunteer work: None really, I have always been really busy with work
Extracurricular activities: Hockey, going to the gym (I know these are not particuarly scholarly endeavors, but they keep me sane in and in shape).

Lets assume I can write pretty good essays, since I am really going to focus on doing so over the summer. I am probably going to apply to 4-5 schools Round 1.

So, what does everyone think? I know its somewhat limited information, but a general idea would be nice. Thank you for any help.

Hi There

Since you are aiming for top schools then a score above 700 is desirable. Also the GMAT alone won’t determine your chances of admission; your work experience plays a vital role as well. You need to ensure that academically you are in a good position. However it is not just the academics but beyond the academics that will help you in determining your candidature.

Generally most of the applicants have good 4-5 years of work experience. Although it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So if you can show that in 4 years you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for you could put in a strong set of essays.

So the quality of your work, your academics and beyond academics will play an important role. If you think you can balance all these aspects then aiming for top schools shouldn’t be a hesitation.

Although it’s advisable to have some safe schools in your list.
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
artkin76 wrote:
Hello,

Just starting to research some schools and I am curious if anyone can give me some insight into what my expectations should be during the application process. Basically, I want to know what level school I can get into, meaning top tier, top 10, top 5, etc. I know a lot more goes into choosing schools, but I really just want to have a point of reference from which to determine "reach" schools and "safety schools". Below is my brief profile, any help would be greatly appreciated:

Male, Age 28
White
GMAT: 710 (45 Verbal - 98% / 43 Quant - 65%)
Undergrad GPA: 3.6 from a NESCAC school
Job Experience: 1 year paralegal, 5 years investment management (wealth management) with top wall street firm. I am hoping the finance experience will help prop up the low quant score. I also just took Level 1 CFA so if I pass it that might help a bit too.
Volunteer work: None really, I have always been really busy with work
Extracurricular activities: Hockey, going to the gym (I know these are not particuarly scholarly endeavors, but they keep me sane in and in shape).

Lets assume I can write pretty good essays, since I am really going to focus on doing so over the summer. I am probably going to apply to 4-5 schools Round 1.

So, what does everyone think? I know its somewhat limited information, but a general idea would be nice. Thank you for any help.

Hi,

You seem to have a solid background with a right mix of experiences to interest any top tier B school. Experience on Wall Street at a top Investment Management firm should definitely be highlighted to demonstrate your analytical skills. Focus on explaining the move to paralegal and what you do outside work (going to the gym might not be the best example of constitute extra curricular activities). Also, be sure to highlight your leadership abilities, both at the workplace and beyond. Those elements and the way your essays shape up will be critical to your success at any top school, given the limited information about your previous experiences.

Regards,
Neha Singh
General Education
https://www.general-ed.com
GMAT Club Bot