Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 16:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What needs to be in the application resume

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AKPsi, ISA
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.53
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

What needs to be in the application resume [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 13:22
First, happy Thanksgiving to everybody.
I hope you are enjoying the day and not all slaving away on applications today like me.

So far I have seen lots of little tips of do's and don't, but no comprehensive description of what you are supposed to have in your resume, or with what format. I am sure others beside myself would like something more cohesive like this, so below I share an outline of what I know and don't know about what needs to be on the resume. I would much appreciate anyone else adding to this, especially successful applicants or consultants that have been through this a few times:

Name
-Address, phone, and email contact information

Summary/objective?
(Honestly I don't know if this should be included. I know you need it for a job, it seems a little redundant, but I have found examples both with and without this. Advice on this would be appreciated)

Experience
(this should come first as far as I understand, unless you are fresh out of college.)
-company (time/duration of work)
-job title
- bullet points that show actual accomplishments in numbers and how you got them done(showing rather than telling), as well as company recognition/promotion

Education
- school you went too (date of graduation)
- degree and major
- gpa and any recognition offer by school
- extracurricular activities (at least if you had a leadership position), and any involvement i business plan competitions. just a pullet point.

Other
- languages
- hobbies/interest

((Things I am not sure weather to include))
Internships taken while in college (unless of course you have no other work experience)
Volunteer Activity
((Again I'm no sure weather this should be in the resume, or just in the application info))

I would appreciate any feedback, especially on weather to include a summary/objective, the volunteer activity stuff, and internships.

Again, happy thanksgiving and remember to keep it under one page (the resume I mean)
Tuck Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: What needs to be in the application resume [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 17:02
Given that your contact details are already in the application form, you don't need to include them in the CV. That'd save one line.

Summary/objective is not necessary. It can be found in the application or essays. This will save 2-3 lines.

You'll have to juggle the rest with the space that you have. If you run out of space, pick key volunteer activities and leave out the rest.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 576 [0], given: 30

Re: What needs to be in the application resume [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 04:46
Expert's post
You can get rid of the summary/objective. Make sure in your work experience you also have awards/promotions/bonuses/raises/good reviews (these too are accomplishments) and likewise for your Education section, any awards or TAing or anything like that can be helpful.

Seems like you're on the right track though.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: What needs to be in the application resume [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 07:30
I disagree with the suggestion to leave your contact information off your resume just to save space. I certainly have never seen a resume like that and think it would look really odd as the adcom looks to review it (or you walk through it in the interview).
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Haas '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 1

Re: What needs to be in the application resume [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 07:33
I've also seen that it's not uncommon to leave out GPA (and GMAT) from the resume since that info is addressed elsewhere in the application. Gives you another line to talk about accomplishments.

I left in my contact info but made sure it only took up one line.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: What needs to be in the application resume [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 08:05
I included a short line or two given a description of the job before listing bullet points for accomplishments. If you are a banking analyst or consultant where the job function is pretty obvious that might not be necessary. However since I'm in a relatively unique career field I thought it worth the space to just give a brief description of what my job title actual means. I also but education up above work since this is for school but I've seen it both ways. Technically I think resumes are usually chronological but since undergrad school/degree/gpa are so important to the b-school process I moved it up front.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: What needs to be in the application resume [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 10:55
Some basic rules for a B-school resume:

* remember that your audience is the general public and the people reading it may not understand technical aspects of your job
* the resume should be no longer than one page -- no exceptions
* if there is something one your resume that is not common knowledge (like working for an unknown firm) -- it must be described appropriately
* lists are boring to read; nothing longer than four items
* include only content that is critical to your candidacy and that which is going to impress the reader (elementary Spanish speaker does not cut it)
* no professional objectives -- it is obvious that your professional objective is to attend business school
* do not include contact details - this information is listed elsewhere in your application

These are the most significant issues we see with candidates applying to business school. Also, do not downplay the importance of a resume in your application as it is often your first impression -- and first impressions stick.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: What needs to be in the application resume [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 20:49
What better way to figure it out than to look at resumes of current students? Here's a 2008 resume book.. mostly Haas but plenty of other top 10s.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/59526558/Resume-Book-GBC-2008
Re: What needs to be in the application resume   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2012, 20:49