Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 02:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What parts of my application should I work on?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS 2+2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

What parts of my application should I work on? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 08:06
Any reviews about how my profile holds for applying in MBA courses. What areas should I improve and what are my strengths?
Any help would be great :-D

Country - India

Education - B.Tech. (6.03/10) in Civil Engineering from one of the top 10 colleges in India

GMAT Score - 780 ( First Attempt )

Work Exp. -
1.Full-Time None ( Ques. Would work experience in non-business field count, If I want to get into finance and consulting?)
2.Internship a) in a Fortune 500 corporation in 2012 b) ARG builders/developers in 2013

Extra-Curriculars -
1.Created and Organized an E-sports team of 5 members and won gold medals in many inter-college, as well as national events.
2. My team was 4 times consecutive winner at National Technical Fest of my college
3.Participated in inter-school Basketball Tournament
4.Participated in inter-college football tournament
5.Aced EDX online courses, securing 95% in course by Berklee College of Music and 93% in course by MIT
6.Founder of a Music Band
7.Won Gold medal in National GK Competition organized by a State-Committee
8.Currently working in a well known NGO, which provides services for poor people.
9.Won multiple events in college fests
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 455 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: What parts of my application should I work on? [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 00:32
Expert's post
amarmeena1992 wrote:
Any reviews about how my profile holds for applying in MBA courses. What areas should I improve and what are my strengths?
Any help would be great :-D

Country - India

Education - B.Tech. (6.03/10) in Civil Engineering from one of the top 10 colleges in India

GMAT Score - 780 ( First Attempt )

Work Exp. -
1.Full-Time None ( Ques. Would work experience in non-business field count, If I want to get into finance and consulting?)
2.Internship a) in a Fortune 500 corporation in 2012 b) ARG builders/developers in 2013

Extra-Curriculars -
1.Created and Organized an E-sports team of 5 members and won gold medals in many inter-college, as well as national events.
2. My team was 4 times consecutive winner at National Technical Fest of my college
3.Participated in inter-school Basketball Tournament
4.Participated in inter-college football tournament
5.Aced EDX online courses, securing 95% in course by Berklee College of Music and 93% in course by MIT
6.Founder of a Music Band
7.Won Gold medal in National GK Competition organized by a State-Committee
8.Currently working in a well known NGO, which provides services for poor people.
9.Won multiple events in college fests

Wow!!! Dude!!! What a GMAT score!!!!!!

For your profile, the main thing you need to do is work... for about three years or so. Then you can apply for an MBA

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: What parts of my application should I work on? [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 10:00
JonAdmissionado wrote:
For your profile, the main thing you need to do is work... for about three years or so. Then you can apply for an MBA

Thanks for your kind reply.
Just a small query. Do they count non-business related field's work experience, while taking admission in MBA courses? Because, when I approach for jobs in business field, they either asks for work-experience or MBA, and I have neither. Any solutions for this situation? :roll:
and yeah, apart from work-experience? Anything else to work upon? :-D
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1975

Kudos [?]: 6399 [0], given: 3564

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What parts of my application should I work on? [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 11:08
Expert's post
What schools are you targeting?
I see you had 2+2 on your profile but that does not seem to be the case any more?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Re: What parts of my application should I work on? [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 21:05
bb wrote:
What schools are you targeting?
I see you had 2+2 on your profile but that does not seem to be the case any more?

Yeah, I was thinking to apply for 2+2 programs, but unfortunately, got late for those.
Now, I am targeting MIT, Wharton, LBS, Harvard, Booth and Yale, either without work experience or with 2 years of work experience. I know the importance of work exp in MBA but cant wait for more than 2 years to get into those.
One more question, will these programs consider my GMAT score for next two years or is it like, I have to appear for GMAT again after two years? :?
Optimus Prep Instructor
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: What parts of my application should I work on? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 02:55
Expert's post
Your GMAT score will be valid for 5 years.

You now have a great chance to get accepted into one of the very best schools of the world and lay the foundation for a successful career! You should get professional support for your application to explain WHY you are still the right person without work experience.

A great application in combination with such a great GMAT score is a guarantee for success! We would love to help you in the application process. Our admissions consultants has helped many students with a worse GMAT score to get accepted and in your case things will be easier.

Please visit our website to compare our rates to other companies. If you have questions please feel free to ask.

OPTIMUS PREP

Best regards,

Artem Morgunov I Founder of Optimus Prep I morgunov@optimus-prep.com

1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 455 [1] , given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: What parts of my application should I work on? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 18:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
amarmeena1992 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Just a small query. Do they count non-business related field's work experience, while taking admission in MBA courses? Because, when I approach for jobs in business field, they either asks for work-experience or MBA, and I have neither. Any solutions for this situation? :roll:

All experience is good. You can be an English teacher, a doctor, a musician. There are jobs that better and jobs that are less good, but still they close their doors to no one just because they don't come from "business."

As for your "problem", the first job is always the hardest. It's normal. But maybe you can place that GMAT score on your resume?

:)

As for what else to work on - make sure you have a good solid constant bit of volunteer work over the next years. It will help you immensely, especially if its something in which you will have the opportunity to take a leadership position.

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Intern
Intern

Re: What parts of my application should I work on? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 10:40
JonAdmissionado wrote:
amarmeena1992 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:

All experience is good. You can be an English teacher, a doctor, a musician. There are jobs that better and jobs that are less good, but still they close their doors to no one just because they don't come from "business."

As for your "problem", the first job is always the hardest. It's normal. But maybe you can place that GMAT score on your resume?

As for what else to work on - make sure you have a good solid constant bit of volunteer work over the next years. It will help you immensely, especially if its something in which you will have the opportunity to take a leadership position.

Best,
JF

Will having a low GPA in my under-graduation, have any negative effect on my application?
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 455 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: What parts of my application should I work on? [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 11:23
Expert's post
Well, having a high GPA is better.

In admissions, there is nothing that is not important. So yes, your GPA is important, and so is work, and so are your recommendations, and your UG school and your extra curriculars and your writing skills. But nobody (or well, almost nobody) is perfect… so you are allowed to have a light blemish or two in your profile.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Optimus Prep Instructor
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: What parts of my application should I work on? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2014, 04:21
Expert's post
A very helpful link:

http://en.optimus-prep.com/application-components

Best regards,

Artem Morgunov I Founder of Optimus Prep I morgunov@optimus-prep.com

Re: What parts of my application should I work on?   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2014, 04:21