Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What round to apply?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

What round to apply? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 11:40
Hi-

I'm just beginning to research the B school application process. What are the benefits/disadvantages to applying in Round 1 vs. Round 2 vs. Round 3?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: What round to apply? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 13:30
I don't know how credible this is but people have said from time and time that there's no significant difference between the 1st and the 2nd round.

But during the 3rd round, I've been told that business schools tend to round out the applicants, thus your chance of acceptance is significantly lower unless you are quite exceptional. The Fuqua information session that I attended mentioned something ridiculous like admitting 5 people during the 3rd round last 2 years or something...

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 47

Re: What round to apply? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 13:43
Some say that it doesn't mater whether you apply in the first round or in the second but now look once first round is done some people are almost accepted and the ad-com has an idea what the grope will look like, so in the second round they want to even further sophisticate the group and hence adding some more people and final stage is 3rd round where just lucky once are entering..

I'm trying to say that if you have a time it's always better to be in the first
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: What round to apply? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 14:15
Thanks for the insights.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: What round to apply? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 14:24
R1 or R2, there really isn't much difference. Last round (whether that is R3 or R4) is difficult like others have mentioned in the forum. But in the first 2 rounds, the only difference is the number (1 and 2) after the word "Round".

Multiple rounds are available for the benefit of the bschool, not the applicants. It allows the admissions officers to manage the app volume, and as a result, allow them to do their job better. (Can you imagine if there was only one round?)

If you ask any adcom if there is a difference between R1 and R2, they will tell you the same thing. Believe it. They have no reason to lie to you.

The only benefit (that I can think of right now) to apply early, may be scholarship related purposes. Money may be available to the admits of earlier rounds in some bschools. There are scholarships offered towards the end of the app cycle, but there are also specific scholarships (usually named after an alumni funding the scholarship) that can only be offered to admits with specific background. If an admit from R1 accepts that scholarship and commits to the school, then R2 admit with similar background who may qualify for that scholarship may miss out since it is no longer available to him or her.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: What round to apply?   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2010, 14:24