Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What's good about Manhattan GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

What's good about Manhattan GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 02:28
Hi Everybody,

I've been using the forums here for a while, but this is my first post.
I took the GMAT for the first time last month, got a 770 and am pretty happy about it.
I studied on my own, using the Official Guide, Kaplan Premier and the CAT practice that came with both, and I'd say most of my success prob came from practicing the OG questions.

Now for my question: I had heard a lot of praise about the Manhattan GMAT from many people.
During my studies, I checked their books out but decided not to buy them.
I found out that their books apparently only had basic summaries of the different types of questions, and some very basic practice.
Although it looked very comprehensive, since it covered all topics, it didn't seem to offer anything besides a review of the theoretical material.

I feel that I'm missing out on something so I hope people here who know more can shed some light on this.

Notes:
*I'm interested because I want to start tutoring GMAT, and I'm researching study materials. Also pure curiosity.
*Since I didn't buy the books I didn't see any online practice either. Do they offer a lot in that aspect?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

Re: What's good about Manhattan GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 06:53
I used the foundation of GMAT Math and the additional math guides. I found them to be clearly written and easy to understand. My use for them: "review of the theoretical material" and they helped me put into context how to apply the different math theory to different problems. I would consider myself to have a very high aptitude / ability to understand math concepts but very low ability to retain math knowledge. I needed refresher on math I had not seen or used in 10-15years.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: What's good about Manhattan GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 08:15
Thanks for the reply!
So you can confirm that Manhattan GMAT book series is mainly theoretical?
What do they recommend to do for practice then? Just the OG? What did you use for practice?

I'm a bit perplexed because all the other books I've seen (Princeton Review/Kaplan/Barron's) have their own practice questions and tests, yet Manhattan is the one widely perceived to be the best.

edit - I just saw that the complete package also offers 6 computer-adapted tests, and over 200 additional practice questions - although I assume these are the integral questions that come after each part's theoretical review (?).

I guess my question is - The Manhattan GMAT is not enough on its own to study for the exam, right?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 13

Re: What's good about Manhattan GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
Each chapter ends in 5-10 problems on the topic covered in the chapter. They do offer some resources online for additional problems and some adaptive tests. I did not use any of their online services. I worked problems from OG 13 edition and the problems at the end of each chapter of Manhattan. I found the content to be more than theoretical because they would apply the content to solving a problem in an example. My main issue for math was mostly how to apply concepts. If you are going to be tutoring then you can be the source of content and application. I also found a series of videos on youtube by Salmon Khan of Khan Academy where he solves ALL quant problems from OG 11. Seeing how a math expert attacked a problem was extremely valuable.
Re: What's good about Manhattan GMAT?   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2014, 08:52