Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What's My Shot?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Stanford '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.63
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What's My Shot? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 19:52
Please review and comment on my profile. Thanks!
27 yr. old White Male - Current 1L Law Student @ top 100 School - Merit Scholar
3.64 ug GPA - includes a 4 credit F, virtually all A's otherwise
3.955 bus. mgmt major @ AACSB accredited state school
Owned/operated mobile DJ company since age 14, Worked part-time in electronics (home-theater) sales, Certified Personal Trainer, Mgmt. Internship for ug, Staff tutor at comm. college
710 GMAT - 47 quant (70th%) 40 verbal (90th%) 5/6 AWA (60th%) 8/8 IR (93rd%)

Seeking deferred acceptance to Stanford - otherwise will do JD/MBA at current University
What's my shot?
Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: What's My Shot? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 05:03
Thanks for your posting.

As for figuring out your odds at Stanford, you have to realize that the school attracts the best candidates in the world -- that is why their acceptance rate is so low, their yield is so high and almost everybody wants to attend. Thus, at best, your odds of getting in are at best the stated acceptance rate of the school (7%). Just a few things to be aware of -- the student population of Stanford is very heavily weighted with students who went to Top 20 colleges -- so the school definitely has a bias towards these types of students. Also, they are going to want to see a reason why you want to transition from you choice of law school - which is not an easy thing to explain.

Thus, given what you provide in your profile, to be competitive, you are going to have to submit an outstanding application that is very compelling. I am not saying your chances are low - just not above Stanford average.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Stanford '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.63
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: What's My Shot? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 05:25
Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review[/quote]

Thanks Kimberly,

As per my ambitions, I feel I provided a compelling reasoning for my interest in both Law & Business in my essays. I talk about my goals in business ownership, my insights into the importance of properly navigating the law to achieve best results, and my goal of being a legal consultant for other ambitious entrepreneurs.

I try to emphasize my preference to pursue business while including the necessity of understanding law. I hope it is effective. Additionally, I was diagnosed with a chronic illness as a teenager, which I overcame to achieve complete remission. This affected my academics as well as my choices, ie. staying close to home for undergrad. Do they look favorably upon these things as it seems law admissions do?

Thanks so much for your input!
Re: What's My Shot?   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2013, 05:25