Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: What's the highest score someone from GMATClub has received? [#permalink]
hehe... thats one reason to go for 800 :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.86
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Suddenly found this discussion. I wonder how many 800 scorers are here by now.:-D

Personally I found one. Non yankee most probably is the username :-D
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
That's the only official person on GMAT Club.

P.S. Supposedly up to 50 people per year get the perfect score but only one legit on GMAT Club.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
I think EMPOWERgmatRichC, a GMAT teacher, got an 800.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
What's the highest score someone from GMATClub has received? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
There are plenty of people on GMAT Club and elsewhere who claim to have scored a perfect 800 on the GMAT.

However, there is a huge difference between the number of people who CLAIM they scored a perfect 800 on the GMAT (many), and the number of people who can actually PROVE they scored an 800 on the GMAT (zero, as far as I know). And no, a sketchy PDF of a paper score report or test-day printout that could have easily been manipulated with computer editing software doesn't count--I'm talking about a link to an official, recent, downloadable score report from the Pearson Vue website: the exact same secure method that GMAT Club uses to verify user scores.

Take a look at the incoming class of 2019 admission stats for HBS, Wharton, and Stanford, and you will see that none of the admitted students scored higher than a 790 on the GMAT. Keep in mind--these are the very best B-schools in the country, the "cream of the crop." If these elite-level students aren't scoring 800s, then very few people are: possibly fewer than 5 in the entire world, and maybe as low as zero each year--even if we include GMAT tutors. In fact, none of Stanford's last 4 incoming classes had GMAT scores higher than 790. It is of course true that 800 scorers could be getting rejected at all of these schools, but this is unlikely.

You will notice, for example, that although Stanford says that it rejected "all" of the 800 scorers who applied, it does not indicate how many of these perfect 800 scorers even applied in the first place.

The evidence is somewhat contradictory when it comes to perfect 800 GMAT scores. One one hand, not one of GMAT Club's nearly 700,000 members has yet posted a verified 800 score, which suggests that these scores may be nearly unobtainable. That being said, GMAC's statistics also suggest that nearly every year, there might be a few select test-takers who achieve this rare feat. It is certainly possible that many of the ones who do are professional GMAT tutors who never end up applying to B-school, and/or other test takers who never end up posting a GMAT Club Debrief or confirming their scores. There is also the matter of GMAT scores from over 5 years ago, which are expired and thus cannot be verified in any meaningful way.

In my opinion, however, it is only a matter of time before we have a true verified 800 score here on this forum, now that a score verification feature is available (verified scores are indicated though the green checkmarks next to one's scores). There are a handful of GMAT tutors in the world who wouldn't surprise me if they scored an 800 on any given day--including myself--and neither would any of the hundreds of thousands of talented students who take the GMAT each year, but the fact remains that no one has proven it yet.

To score an 800 on the GMAT, it appears from my ESR research that at a minimum, you need to answer all 58 counted questions correctly--and the experimental questions appear to matter as well, despite what GMAC claims. Even just one wrong answer on Verbal, for example, can drop your score from a perfect V51 to a V48--and we have even seen 2 examples of a V50 score with every counted question right. Thus, it appears that you might in fact need to answer all 78 multiple-choice questions correctly to score an 800 (remember that the 12 IR questions are not part of your 200-800 composite score).

Going 78 for 78 on an adaptive test such as the GMAT is an incredibly difficult task, because the questions get tougher the better you perform. Eventually, nearly all of us are bound to run up against a nearly incomprehensible question, and are going to have to take a guess or two--yes, even smart-aleck GMAT tutors--and of course careless mistakes/fatigue also play a role, as they do for all test-takers. The fact that you can't skip questions and return later (like you can on the GRE) certainly doesn't help, either.

For those GMAT tutors out there who claim perfect 800 scores that are more than 5 years old: I would suggest that you re-take the GMAT and verify your scores on a more recent exam to prove your abilities, as I have done.

Scoring an 800 on the GMAT requires determination, persistence, skill, talent, and a healthy dose of luck. I've taken the GMAT 5 times now, and have scored in the 700s every time, with a high of 770. I think that's an accomplishment in itself, but I would be lying if I said that I weren't still trying for the elusive perfect 800. And if I do score an 800 :fingers_crossed:, then I'll make sure to prove it! ;)
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Update 4/4/18: It's official: MartyMurray now has the first verified perfect 800 composite score on GMAT Club, from an exam he took in 2015.

Well done, Marty!

-Brian
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2