Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What's your situation at work?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 11:26
texasorbust wrote:
11MBA wrote:
I think I agree with 2012dreams on this one. If you're working at a company that was conducting layoffs and was willing to offer a buyout package then I don't think it will "taint" your record if you take it. If this issue comes up during an interview, you can say you already had plans to go to bschool and felt it was fair for you to take it and let another one of your collegues who did not have such plans keep his/her job. You can go on to talk about how you used the time constructively by traveling and learning more about your target industry after bschool. The past couple of years have been brutal in terms of layoffs, and leaving room at the firm for your collegues is a pretty considerate thing to do. I know someone who elected to take a buyout package from a top ibank he was working at bc he got into HBS. He's in school right now, and I haven't heard him complain this problem coming up during conversations with potential employers.

I think this is good advice. I just sent the email below to my companies head of HR this morning...

Dear XXXX,

I left you a voicemail earlier this morning and would greatly appreciate the chance to speak with you at your convenience about my future with XXXX. I want to be completely forthright with you as it may affect some of your upcoming decisions. I was just accepted earlier this month to the University of Texas MBA program for the fall of 2010. We’re nearing completion at the XXXX and it is my preference that once my obligations are fully completed for this project, I would like to move back to XXXX and pursue other opportunities. I have been hearing rumors about the possibility of upcoming layoffs and if my resignation (as soon as deemed prudent by you and my project team) may enable someone who potentially has a long term future with XXXX to maintain their job I wanted you to have this information. This is my first time in this situation and I just wanted to be completely straight forward with you.

Best Regards,

texasorbust

Let us know how this works out!

I think I'm going to target late Feb for my announcement. If they boot me immediately, fine. Otherwise, I'll probably work something out with them where I stay through May or June.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 72 [1] , given: 6

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 11:32
This post received
KUDOS
If I get in to school, I will give 2 weeks notice. My boss has reacted very unprofessionally before when people have announced they are leaving the company, even if they left for legitimate reasons. It's also my way of giving him the finger as I'm walking out the door. I do not plan to use him as a reference in the future.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 11:56
So I had a review at work yesterday and decided to be totally upfront with my boss (he knew I was applying since he wrote my recs). I said that I would be leaving in June and that I would like to stay until then if they let me and would be willing to work on more short term projects as I understand that they need to focus long term stuff on other members of the team. He was very appreciative of my honesty and told me that he was happy to have me stay AND I would get a prorated bonus in June in order for me to stay motivated. Was not expecting that!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 12:08
This post received
KUDOS
The situation is indescribable. You can't even describe the situation you're about to get into.

I'm sorry, someone had to say it.
Manager
Manager

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 12:33
erwe422 wrote:
The situation is indescribable. You can't even describe the situation you're about to get into.

I'm sorry, someone had to say it.

To whom are you referring here?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 12:34
This post received
KUDOS
It's a quote from Jersey Shore. Kind of a funny show if you enjoy watching people be dumb.
Manager
Manager

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 12:51
erwe422 wrote:
It's a quote from Jersey Shore. Kind of a funny show if you enjoy watching people be dumb.

LOL. Sorry, went right over my head, even though I've seen all of them. I thought you were telling the guy how bad his situation is going to be for staying on at work for several more months.
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 16:56
After feeling the situation out a bit more, I announced this past week. Everyone received it well and said I'm welcome to stay as long as I'd like. Good luck to everyone else as they figure out their exit!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: McCombs Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 6

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
PBateman wrote:
texasorbust wrote:
I think this is good advice. I just sent the email below to my companies head of HR this morning...

Dear XXXX,

I left you a voicemail earlier this morning and would greatly appreciate the chance to speak with you at your convenience about my future with XXXX. I want to be completely forthright with you as it may affect some of your upcoming decisions. I was just accepted earlier this month to the University of Texas MBA program for the fall of 2010. We’re nearing completion at the XXXX and it is my preference that once my obligations are fully completed for this project, I would like to move back to XXXX and pursue other opportunities. I have been hearing rumors about the possibility of upcoming layoffs and if my resignation (as soon as deemed prudent by you and my project team) may enable someone who potentially has a long term future with XXXX to maintain their job I wanted you to have this information. This is my first time in this situation and I just wanted to be completely straight forward with you.

Best Regards,

texasorbust

Let us know how this works out!

I think I'm going to target late Feb for my announcement. If they boot me immediately, fine. Otherwise, I'll probably work something out with them where I stay through May or June.

UPDATE: Well the letter's intent was to get me released as part of the company lay offs and not go through a painful quitting process with my project team (some of whom are consistently unprofessional with these types of matters). In that sense it did not work. Actually, to my frustration the director of HR called me the next to say congratulations and I could stay on as long as I liked.

Skipping forward a few weeks, the project finally reached a point where I was comfortable broaching the subject of my imminent departure. As expected, certain coworkers were less than professional although most were supportive. It was important to me to leave on good terms so I made it clear that while I was eager to move on to pursue other opportunities I was committed to staying as long as required to complete any tasks that required my involvement. After some back and forth we agreed on what they needed to facilitate a smooth transition and a departure date.

Resignation letter was as follows...

Subject: Texasorbust Resignation – Two Weeks Notice

Dear Mr. XXXX:

Over the past three years, it has been a great pleasure working for XXXX building some of the largest and most prestigious projects in XXXX. As you are aware, I was recently accepted to the University of Texas MBA program beginning next fall. After discussions with my project team, I hereby give two weeks notice that I will be resigning from my position as a XXXX effective Friday, January 29, 2010.

My experience at XXXX has been both rewarding and challenging and I am grateful for the opportunities that I have had to contribute to the success of this company. I look forward to following the continued success of XXXX in the years to come.

Sincerely,

texasorbust
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 5

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 11:54
good job texas, way to get it done.

i'm personally waiting 'til july to finish off our client's year end in june, and set up their 2011 fiscal year business plans. all of my company knows now that i'm going to school in september. i even talked to my vp and let him know i'm applying for summer internships, and i told him i'd let him know as soon as i hear back from the internships, and that i'll help to either refer someone or train someone to fill my role.

so far everyone's understanding and supportive. i specifically talked to my vp yesterday to make sure my job isn't on the chopping block or whatever, as i'd like to continue working here unless i get into an internship.

note: i have a very good relationship with my vp, which is not a luxury that everyone has.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
following up on erwe's post - since the jersey shore is my favorite show ( :oops: ), i laugh anytime i see or hear the words "the situation". eminent's post brought an extra smile for its particular wording :lol:

eminent wrote:
After feeling the situation out a bit more, I announced this past week. Everyone received it well and said I'm welcome to stay as long as I'd like. Good luck to everyone else as they figure out their exit!

all kidding aside, glad to hear pretty much everyone in this thread has been able to settle things at work in a professional and mutually beneficial manner.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 4

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
I am in a tough situation. I'm at a point where Ive hit a plateau in my job My boss knows I'm applying and expects me to leave. For me, not getting into a school will be a nightmare situation.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 17

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 13:31
It was sort of an open secret but I don't think anyone thought I would actually go through with it. In retrospect, I would have kept it closer to my chest because once they founded out they started piling assignments on me. I'm the only attorney in the western states who understands certain federal programs and they wanted as much work product out of me as possible before I left.

I gave my boss notification of my official last day of work yesterday. Early May. I suspect it will roll around before I know it.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 6

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 13:59
Keeping it under wraps from most people in my company as long as possible (although several have known it's always been an aspiration to go to b-school, just not WHEN I wanted to go exactly, I always made it seem like it was a few years off)...But my boss and my boss's boss know, so we'll see how long it really stays a secret. I know that I'm going to have to start helping them figure out how we're going to replace me, train a replacement etc. and when that will happen. I think as I get a better idea of whether I will have any shot at the remaining 3 schools, it will become clearer when I will let people know, but I imagine it'll probably be in April once I've decided/it's been decided for me where I'm going for sure.

It is nice to know that in 6 months I will definitely be moving on to a new adventure though, since I'm into one school already. Based on everything that's been going on at my company recently, it's nice to know there is an end in sight, even though I do like a lot of aspects of my job. Light at the end of the tunnel, or whatever.
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 8

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 08:28
I told my Senior Manager in a car ride.... He seemed cool with it but told me he wouldn't tell anyone else on the team. Then I got reassigned to a new team in September and they don't know that I am applying to B-school although I have a feeling they have an inkling I am doing so.

If I don't get into any school this year I'll give it another shot next year. Only problem is there won't be any growth in current position as I will be discussing my aspirations with my immediate manager soon and kill my promotion chances.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 11:44
Just stumbled upon this thread. My personal situation is one that involves still waiting to hear back from one more school, which should happen next week :)

Assuming that goes well, my plan is to leave around end of April-early May, depending on the financial situation :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 12

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 12:01
This post received
KUDOS
Everyone knows I'm applying to schools. Everyone knew last year too. Not the ideal situation, but it couldn't be helped. When I didn't get in last year, I changed roles and now report to an awesome manager who has been a big supporter of my business school aspirations. He's a stanford gsb grad himself so it's been great to have him on my side. He knows that I would probably leave around may if all works out.

The immediate plan after is a monster road trip to visit all the 17 remaining states i haven't been to:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 410156&z=4
Manager
Manager

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 12:09
egy wrote:
Everyone knows I'm applying to schools. Everyone knew last year too. Not the ideal situation, but it couldn't be helped. When I didn't get in last year, I changed roles and now report to an awesome manager who has been a big supporter of my business school aspirations. He's a stanford gsb grad himself so it's been great to have him on my side. He knows that I would probably leave around may if all works out.

The immediate plan after is a monster road trip to visit all the 17 remaining states i haven't been to:

Whoa! That is a big road trip.

I told work last week, and the plan is tentatively for me to leave at the end of May, so that I can still pursue an internship this summer. If I knew I could land a banking internship, I'd just leave here asap so that I could have some time off for R&R.

A road trip would be fun, but if I get any free time, my new home will be the golf course. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1581 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 06:12
egy wrote:

When you come through Chitown let me know :)
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 06:36
rhyme wrote:
egy wrote:

When you come through Chitown let me know :)

Hey, you will pass by me on I90 too. You can visit me in WI right after you see rhyme :)

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: What's your situation at work?   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2010, 06:36