Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:20

Going on Right now:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What's your situation at work?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 07:53
kw20xx wrote:
babybyme wrote:
PBateman wrote:

Whoa! That is a big road trip.

I told work last week, and the plan is tentatively for me to leave at the end of May, so that I can still pursue an internship this summer. If I knew I could land a banking internship, I'd just leave here asap so that I could have some time off for R&R.

A road trip would be fun, but if I get any free time, my new home will be the golf course. :)

So you got an internship this summer? That's awecome! Care to share some experiences?

I'm considering that too. PBateman, any advice? it seems pretty amazing to have gotten an intern offer this early, congrats!!

maybe i'm misunderstanding pbateman, but it sounded like he didnt get an offer yet. he was just saying that if he knew in advance that he'd definitely get an internship offer, then he would leave work much earlier. however, since he doesn't know this for a fact yet, he'll leave around may.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 08:43
babybyme wrote:
PBateman wrote:
egy wrote:
Everyone knows I'm applying to schools. Everyone knew last year too. Not the ideal situation, but it couldn't be helped. When I didn't get in last year, I changed roles and now report to an awesome manager who has been a big supporter of my business school aspirations. He's a stanford gsb grad himself so it's been great to have him on my side. He knows that I would probably leave around may if all works out.

The immediate plan after is a monster road trip to visit all the 17 remaining states i haven't been to:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 410156&z=4

Whoa! That is a big road trip.

I told work last week, and the plan is tentatively for me to leave at the end of May, so that I can still pursue an internship this summer. If I knew I could land a banking internship, I'd just leave here asap so that I could have some time off for R&R.

A road trip would be fun, but if I get any free time, my new home will be the golf course. :)

So you got an internship this summer? That's awecome! Care to share some experiences?

Sorry that wasn't clear - no internship yet. Most people have given replies, but they just don't have any such opportunities available. I'm not sure if I should just start mentioning in the initial email that I'll do it unpaid. Obviously, I'd like the money, but I would do it for nothing. I'm sure if they thought something could be arranged, they'd just tell me, well we can't pay you, but...

Right?
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 08:47
PBateman wrote:
Sorry that wasn't clear - no internship yet. Most people have given replies, but they just don't have any such opportunities available. I'm not sure if I should just start mentioning in the initial email that I'll do it unpaid. Obviously, I'd like the money, but I would do it for nothing. I'm sure if they thought something could be arranged, they'd just tell me, well we can't pay you, but...

Right?

damn sorry to hear that bud. i'm in that same boat too. i MIGHT have a couple of things on the horizon but nothing confirmed yet. and pretty much everything is thru networking and family friends...it's really pretty hard to try to get your foot in the door yourself. even the networking doesn't help that much because you're going up against first yr students.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 20

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 11:55
This post received
KUDOS
stopper5 wrote:
I was in the same shoes; everyone at work knew and was planning around. It's nerve wrecking and adds too much pressure

I'm planning to take off right after I get my bonus in March end. Though I would like to stay on till June and collect more savings before going in the red, I am somewhat forced to do this from an immigration perspective. I am on an H1B, which is a work Visa. It only gives me 6 years of work time in this country. The sooner I quit before my MBA, the more work time I would have left for my post-MBA job. Trust me, every month counts!

I'm not complaining though, i really need a long break!

Posted from my mobile device Image

stopper,

I'm way late to the party and don't know if my comment will be of value, but I believe that if you abandon your H1 visa and go to F1 for the time in business school, then apply for jobs upon graduation, you will be starting the 6-year cycle anew. Therefore, if you want to stay until June, I would recommend that to build up savings and experience.

There is a great website, trackitt.com which is full of info on immigration.

Good luck in business school!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 14:15
SnowinTX,

I don't think this is how it works. An MBA won't reset the 6 year clock.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 20

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 14:31
rao_1857 wrote:
SnowinTX,

I don't think this is how it works. An MBA won't reset the 6 year clock.

Ok, I did a little more digging and found that we are both right and wrong. Just getting an MBA won't reset the clock... but an MBA out of the country will! :)

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/chang ... 79631.html

"My question is: if after I graduate with my Master's Degree, I apply for & get another H1B job - so I switch from F-1 back to H1B visa - do I get a fresh 6 year timeclock started on my new H1B?

Answer: The H-1B clock does not reset until you spend one full year outside the US. otherwise, you get the balance of your 6 years when you switch back from F-1 to H-1B. In your case, this means that you should get about 3 more years in H-1B status."

Well, this is good to know for sure...
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 14:56
Yeupp, you have to go outside of states for 1 year... to reset the clock.

Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 16:02
Can I re-use the OPT left over from MS?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 16:36
Class2012 wrote:

AFAIK - No

PS: Lemme go ahead and start a new thread for this .. that way we can consolidate some info for other member as well.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 20

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 18:44
rao_1857 wrote:
Class2012 wrote:

AFAIK - No

PS: Lemme go ahead and start a new thread for this .. that way we can consolidate some info for other member as well.

Ok, please give us a link when you do. :-)

I believe the one year OPT is attached to F1. If you get a new F1 for business school, you are granted new 12 months of OPT, but it doesn't carry over from your past.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 19:49
rao_1857 wrote:
Class2012 wrote:

AFAIK - No

A thread was started on this few weeks ago. h1-f1-conversion-87958.html
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 16

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 10:13
Anyone else thinking of traveling abroad (outside of their home country)? I'd love to get into any of the schools I'm applying to and my plan is to spend 6-8 weeks in China studying Chinese before schools starts. I have a great situation at work (boss and CEO wrote LORs, all very supportive) but I'd like to improve my language skills before embarking on the MBA path - I've been studying the language on my own with a tutor, but nothing beats actually being in the country of whatever language you're trying to learn, I believe.
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 10:34
InCaseYouAsked wrote:
Anyone else thinking of traveling abroad (outside of their home country)? I'd love to get into any of the schools I'm applying to and my plan is to spend 6-8 weeks in China studying Chinese before schools starts. I have a great situation at work (boss and CEO wrote LORs, all very supportive) but I'd like to improve my language skills before embarking on the MBA path - I've been studying the language on my own with a tutor, but nothing beats actually being in the country of whatever language you're trying to learn, I believe.

That would be a fantastic experience! I think you should absolutely go for it. But is the missus cool with it? :)
Intern
Intern

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 10:48
Ha! Yeah, no not really. I want to go for 8 weeks, she's whittling me down to 4-6, depending on when I leave work (all dependent upon me getting accepted somewhere!).

Summer plans were also thrown off with two weddings smack dab in the middle of July, though thankfully one is in the Dominican Republic, so I really can't complain.

Alright - must resume prayers to gods of MBA Admissions.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 10:23
InCaseYouAsked wrote:

That sounds amazing ! Unfortunately, I need all the money I can get, so I'll be only taking a month off, and that will be filled with typing up loose ends at home, seeing people before I move, and actually coordinating the move down South.

But if you go through with it, kudos to you !! :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 10:27
My situation:

Working 12 hours a day until the very last second so that I can save money and not place our investors into the hands of my coworkers (just kidding on that one!).

I wish I could travel or something but I'm trying to pinch pennies to save cash for my car payments and insurance and whatnot during school.

School:
Boston College MBA '12

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 9

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
For me, soon as I got into Tuck, I told my manager and Director (who have been nothing but supportive and wrote 10 recs each for me). I'll be quitting in April, heading to India for a couple months of travel, family time, and golf lessons, and then backpacking through Europe, Russia, and China for another couple months. Sure, I'll miss out on a few miserable paychecks, and my entire bonus is going into my trip, but the way I see it, this is the only opportunity I'm going to get to take such an extended amount of time off.

I eat your big kahuna burger. I eat it up!

Intern
Intern

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 10:23
That's great, excellent idea. Biggest mistake I made after undergrad was thinking I needed to start work the next day. Graduated on Friday, started work on Monday. Dumb dumb dumb. Have a great trip!
Current Student
Schools: Cambridge/Judge '11

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 05:15
I'm hoping to be admitted either to Oxford or Cambridge, which would postpone school start with a few weeks. Otherwise I will have to leave directly after the U2 concert on August 22nd, which leaves me roughly 1 week to reorientate before classes begin. Gotta have priorities. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 10:32
When are you guys going to quit? Beginning or end of the summer?
Re: What's your situation at work?   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2010, 10:32