Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What schools can I expect a chance with given 650-700?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

What schools can I expect a chance with given 650-700? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 13:07
Profile:

B.A. Economics 3.18 ugpa. Solid state school.
1 1/2 years as an inventory analyst at a fortune 500 company.
2 years in sales at the same fortune 500 company.

M.S. In International Economics and Finance from a small LAC. 3.97 gpa

Is my work experience sufficient? Does my grad gpa make up for my low ugpa?

Thanks,
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: What schools can I expect a chance with given 650-700? [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 15:30
Regarding the grad GPA, I would think no, because it's fairly common knowledge that most graduate students can easily get GPA above 3.5+. But I'm not an expert so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: What schools can I expect a chance with given 650-700? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 22:37
Expert's post
Your work experience is sufficient. If you are ready to apply, do so. As for your grades, it maybe doesn't "cover up" but yes it certainly helps (and it would be wise to point it out explicitly somewhere in your application)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: What schools can I expect a chance with given 650-700? [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 03:28
Yes the work experience is sufficient. Make sure you explain your low gpa position as in what steps you took in this regard. If you took any extra classes or courses in the subjects that you din’t do well. This would highlight your zeal to learn and improve and in turn improve your low GPA situation. Goodluck!

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Expert Post
MBA Prep School CEO & Co-Founder
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: What schools can I expect a chance with given 650-700? [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 06:25
Expert's post
Your undergraduate GPA will definitely be a hurdle for a top-20 school, and is at the low end of the range to be sure for a top-10 school. They will pay particular attention to the business oriented courses so low-grades in those courses will raise questions. I do think your graduate GPA will help you to overcome the concern to a large degree, especially if you can point to improved performance in conceptual areas that you struggled with in college.

The positives of a sales background are that you can highlight your client-facing skills and persuasive abilities. The challenge for you when applying for an MBA is that most sales roles don't offer the chance (in the early years) to manage teams. Exposure in a sales role to strategic planning and financial analysis is also limited as a general rule. Therefore, the real test of whether your work experience is sufficient or not is whether or not you (and your references) can supply examples from your professional history that will convince schools that you have management and leadership potential and the strategic thinking and analytical aptitude that MBA programs value.

Tyler Cormney
MBA Prep School

MBA Prep School provides you with power tools for building a winning MBA application. Our on-demand admissions consulting videos and application prep tools will increase your chances of being accepted by your dream school.

Take the first step toward your dream school -- for Free!: http://mbaprepschool.com
Read our eBook: http://mbaprepschool.com/ebook
For GMAT Club Discounts: http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/mba-pr ... gmat-club/

Re: What schools can I expect a chance with given 650-700?   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2011, 06:25