Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Sep 2016, 23:53
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 457
Location: Texas
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 20

What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2012, 12:59
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:54) correct 49% (01:35) wrong based on 240 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has been the use of this technology to proliferate in the form of a blog what would traditionally have been a personal diary.

A What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet
B The concept that had been as remarkable as the advent of the Internet
C No less remarkable than the advent of the Internet
D The advent of the Internet has been nonetheless remarkable than
E Advent of the Internet was just as remarkable as
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by agdimple333 on 20 Jul 2012, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 3421
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1412

Kudos [?]: 10631 [0], given: 1856

Re: The use of technology to proliferate in the form of a blog [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2012, 13:59
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2011
Posts: 373
Location: US
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 46

Re: The use of technology to proliferate in the form of a blog [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2012, 14:01
agdimple333 wrote:
What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has been the use of this technology to proliferate in the form of a blog what would traditionally have been a personal diary.

A What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet
B The concept that had been as remarkable as the advent of the Internet
C No less remarkable than the advent of the Internet
D The advent of the Internet has been nonetheless remarkable than
E Advent of the Internet was just as remarkable as


My answer is A because "as remarkable as" is used to compare between "the advent of the Internet" with "the use of this technology".

Cheers!
_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 3421
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1412

Kudos [?]: 10631 [0], given: 1856

Re: The use of technology to proliferate in the form of a blog [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2012, 14:46
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 3421
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1412

Kudos [?]: 10631 [0], given: 1856

Re: What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2012, 10:48
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: To retake , or not to retake;That is the question
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 27
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 8

Re: What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2012, 14:49
I think its C.I think "seems" would be appropriate than "seemed".

Expert views please.
_________________

I too need Kudos sometimes !!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 457
Location: Texas
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 20

Re: What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2012, 18:05
OA is posted right below the question..
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3417
Followers: 1163

Kudos [?]: 5134 [4] , given: 54

Re: What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2012, 15:59
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has been the use of this technology to proliferate in the form of a blog what would traditionally have been a personal diary.
A What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet
B The concept that had been as remarkable as the advent of the Internet
C No less remarkable than the advent of the Internet
D The advent of the Internet has been nonetheless remarkable than
E Advent of the Internet was just as remarkable as


Choices (D) & (E) are clearly grammatical trainwrecks. (B) is hopelessly wordy and indirect. As it apparent from the other posts in this thread, the real choice is between (A) and (C). This is a tricky and subtle choice.

Let's think about the comparison. We are comparing two things:
(1) the advent of the Internet itself
(2) the fact that people use the Internet to overshare highly personal, extremely private information on blogs visible to everyone on the planet (!)
The comparison is saying both these things are equally remarkable.

(A) is bizarrely indirect. Consider these two sentences:
(3) Sally is as smart as Jim.
(4) One who is as smart as Sally is Jim.
Clearly (3) is completely direct and correct, and (4) is an indirect and wordy way of saying the same thing. (3) uses a structure we hear all the time in everyday speech, and it's perfectly correct. (4) is much less natural, much more awkward.

(A) is not much wordier than (C), but it is similarly indirect and awkward. A direct comparison has one term as the subject of the independent clause and the other as the subject of the clause following the word "than" or "as". Here, in (A), the entire comparison ("as remarkable as") is inside a subordinate clause beginning with the word "what" --- What seemed as remarkable as (1) has been (2). Why bury the comparison inside a subordinate clause? That's evasive and bizarre. That's precisely what is awkward about (4) above. That's not powerful and direct. This is precisely why (A) is unacceptable as an answer.

(C) makes the direct comparison in an entirely grammatically appropriate manner.

No less remarkable than (1) has been (2). Perfect.

If you don't typically read, say, the NY Times or the Economist magazine, you may find this grammatical form somewhat unfamiliar, but it is actually quite standard in high quality writing, so it's good to know.

This is why the OA is the correct answer.

Does all this make sense? Please let me know if anyone in the thread, or anyone else reading this, has any further questions.

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2011
Posts: 373
Location: US
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 46

Re: What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2012, 21:34
Thanks Mike! Truly appreciate your response.

Cheers!
_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Final Countdown
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 563
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 75

Re: What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2012, 01:10
Tough (A) Vs (C )
(C) wins
only (C) tells that the advent and proliferation of the new technology is referring to the same thing.
_________________

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 May 2012
Posts: 34
Schools: LBS '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2012, 14:52
Its strange that the OA changes the original meaning somewhat.

As remarkable as vs. No less remarkable

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3417
Followers: 1163

Kudos [?]: 5134 [0], given: 54

Re: What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2012, 16:21
manwiththeharmonica wrote:
Its strange that the OA changes the original meaning somewhat.
As remarkable as vs. No less remarkable

Actually, the OA doesn't change the meaning at all. Consider these two sentences:

1) P is as remarkable as Q.

2) P is no less remarkable than Q.

Those are two different ways of saying exactly the same thing. Sentence #2 might sound strange, because it's more formal, and less common in colloquial English; nevertheless, it's perfectly correct, and it means exactly the same thing as #1. This is the advantage of a weekly habit of reading, say, the Economist magazine: it would accustom your ear to such formal language.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

CAT Tests
Re: What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 04:02
mikemcgarry wrote:
manwiththeharmonica wrote:
Its strange that the OA changes the original meaning somewhat.
As remarkable as vs. No less remarkable

Actually, the OA doesn't change the meaning at all. Consider these two sentences:

1) P is as remarkable as Q.

2) P is no less remarkable than Q.

Those are two different ways of saying exactly the same thing. Sentence #2 might sound strange, because it's more formal, and less common in colloquial English; nevertheless, it's perfectly correct, and it means exactly the same thing as #1. This is the advantage of a weekly habit of reading, say, the Economist magazine: it would accustom your ear to such formal language.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)


Mike,

Although your whole explanation makes complete sense, but I have an objection- "P no less remarkable than q" can also mean P equal to or greater than Q, thereby introducing a change in the meaning of original sentence. A kind of logical deduction we often make while solving CR questions.

Would you want to shed some light on that?

Regards
Yash
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3417
Followers: 1163

Kudos [?]: 5134 [0], given: 54

Re: What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 11:32
Yash26 wrote:
Mike,

Although your whole explanation makes complete sense, but I have an objection- "P no less remarkable than q" can also mean P equal to or greater than Q, thereby introducing a change in the meaning of original sentence. A kind of logical deduction we often make while solving CR questions.

Would you want to shed some light on that?

Regards
Yash

Dear Yash,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

With all due respect, my friend, you are thinking about language in a way that suggests that you are exceptionally talented at mathematical and logical analysis but don't necessarily have all the intuition for how the English language is used in practice.

Yes, if we turn the phrase into pure mathematics and remove it from all its connotations in the living language, we might deduce that "P is no less [adjective] than Q" literally means "not (P < Q)," which of course is the logical equivalent of "(P > or = Q)." This is logic that departs from real communication. In a way, it reminds me of the xkcd about small talk. If we become rigorously logical, we absolutely lose our ability to navigate ordinary conversation in the world.

In practice, in the way that language is actually used, "P is no less [adjective] than Q" means exactly the same thing as "P is as [adjective] as Q." Yes, that's not entirely consistent with rigorous logic. On behalf of the entire English language and all its speakers, I apologize. Some real constructions in the living language are illogical, and some are outright wacky. (Most of the truly wacky stuff is informal and would not find its way onto the GMAT!) Is this the way real language should be? I don't know, but it's the way that language is. Moreover, the GMAT SC will find ways to punish you if you cling to the hyper-logical interpretation to the neglect of the way that real people communicate.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

CAT Tests
Re: What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 20:38
mikemcgarry wrote:
Yash26 wrote:
Mike,

Although your whole explanation makes complete sense, but I have an objection- "P no less remarkable than q" can also mean P equal to or greater than Q, thereby introducing a change in the meaning of original sentence. A kind of logical deduction we often make while solving CR questions.

Would you want to shed some light on that?

Regards
Yash

Dear Yash,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

With all due respect, my friend, you are thinking about language in a way that suggests that you are exceptionally talented at mathematical and logical analysis but don't necessarily have all the intuition for how the English language is used in practice.

Yes, if we turn the phrase into pure mathematics and remove it from all its connotations in the living language, we might deduce that "P is no less [adjective] than Q" literally means "not (P < Q)," which of course is the logical equivalent of "(P > or = Q)." This is logic that departs from real communication. In a way, it reminds me of the xkcd about small talk. If we become rigorously logical, we absolutely lose our ability to navigate ordinary conversation in the world.

In practice, in the way that language is actually used, "P is no less [adjective] than Q" means exactly the same thing as "P is as [adjective] as Q." Yes, that's not entirely consistent with rigorous logic. On behalf of the entire English language and all its speakers, I apologize. Some real constructions in the living language are illogical, and some are outright wacky. (Most of the truly wacky stuff is informal and would not find its way onto the GMAT!) Is this the way real language should be? I don't know, but it's the way that language is. Moreover, the GMAT SC will find ways to punish you if you cling to the hyper-logical interpretation to the neglect of the way that real people communicate.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)


Thank you Mike,

Since, I am a "change of meaning" fan, I wanted to highlight and have a healthy discussion. I get your point and probably will like to practice similar questions.

Regards

Yash
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 22:01
Between A and C , i rejected A for the word "seemed"
What seemed suggests that a contrast is coming up further in the sentence but actually does not come up.For example What seemed as a difficult question turned out to be easy.
Basically seemed in the past is a problem for me

Sent from my MI 3W using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2016, 22:01
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 What seemed as remarkable as the medieval invention of fozzzy 9 09 May 2013, 05:41
1 What was as remarkable as the development of the Compact x2suresh 4 26 Jan 2009, 20:09
What was as remarkable as the development of the compact goalsnr 2 13 Jul 2008, 16:11
What was as remarkable as the development of the compact judokan 1 29 Jun 2008, 04:26
What was as remarkable as the development of the compact Amit05 2 05 Jul 2007, 09:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What seemed as remarkable as the advent of the Internet has

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.