Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1850 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 12:13
Expert's post
On August 21th I will have an opportunity to ask Linda B. Meehan, assistant dean of Columbia, any question. I'm going to post my very short profile and ask her on what issues I should focus on in my application package.

Is it appropriate to ask such question? What other questions do you think would be worth to ask? Can I ask difference between school X and Columbia?

Linda B. Meehan: http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/cbs-direct ... 254/Meehan
One of the chats: http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... umbia.aspx

Thanks in advance

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

Re: What should I ask assisten dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 12:16
How what where?
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 12:22
Expert's post
http://www.mbas.com.ua/content/view/1572/lang,Eng/ - Ukrainian site, but it has English version.
Thursday, August 21, 2008, 10:00-11:00a (-5:00 GMT, Eastern Time, New York)

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 12:31
walker wrote:
On August 21th I will have an opportunity to ask Linda B. Meehan, assistant dean of Columbia, any question. I'm going to post my very short profile and ask her on what issues I should focus on in my application package.

Is it appropriate to ask such question? What other questions do you think would be worth to ask? Can I ask difference between school X and Columbia?

Linda B. Meehan: http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/cbs-direct ... 254/Meehan
One of the chats: http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... umbia.aspx

Thanks in advance

I don't believe that is the question you want to ask. She is not going to give you the response (i.e., detail) you are looking for. You can find out the type of applicants that they are looking for by going through the slide shows on their website, reading Dean Glen Hubbard's welcome letter, and talking to students. Spend a lot of time on those.

As far as what to ask, I think you need to figure out why you want to go to Columbia, or how you will fit in and try to have her answer some of those questions in a bit more detail. Unfortunately, most of the chat transcripts that I have seen either cover administrative details (visa, recomendation issues, gmat 4 years ago, etc.) or seem to be very high level.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 12:32
ask her how to get into harvard:)
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 12:36
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 12:37
terp26 wrote:
That's great.

I would ask her what qualities she personally values in an applicant. Then work my butt off to have my essays show that exact person whether its me or not. :wink:
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 12:38
Expert's post
terp26 wrote:

:-D You see through my game!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 13:23
Ask her what wrinkle cream she uses.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 13:23
ask her about the worst app she's ever read that might be funny!

or the best app , but that will be less funny
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 13:54
terp26 wrote:
ask her about the worst app she's ever read that might be funny!

or the best app , but that will be less funny

That can backfire.

I remember once in physics class - back in high school - the prof was handing back exams and I got mine last. I joked "Saved the worst for last eh?" and he replied "Well, I didn't plan it that way, but...."
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 20:00
rhyme wrote:
Ask her what wrinkle cream she uses.

can't stop laughing on this......haha..

anyways, from the information sessions i have attended even though not relevant to this, its better to ask some program specific or school specific questions instead of repeating FAQ's in the school website. Otherwise, it gives them the thought that you haven't done any homework. The profile question is a generic and you will always get a neutral answer for that from adcom..saying "our admission criteria is holistic..blah blah.."
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 21:28
Expert's post
Honestly, the main my criterion for B-schools is following: TOP-5 (Terp26 knows a little more :) ). I did not and will not spend a lot of time on digging in school life, because I think that TOP-5 is clear criterion and my success will depend on me, my ability to perform well in all directions in a B-school, rather than on school itself. Therefore, the main question for me is how to increase my chance to be admitted.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 21:37
jb32 wrote:
terp26 wrote:
That's great.

I would ask her what qualities she personally values in an applicant. Then work my butt off to have my essays show that exact person whether its me or not. :wink:

that's a good one!

Another I heard asked at my kellogg visit: "what are the most common mistakes you see applicants make?" This gave the adcom an out to cover more mundane/admin stuff but also if they feel so inclined, talk about app strategy.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 00:43
walker wrote:
Honestly, the main my criterion for B-schools is following: TOP-5 (Terp26 knows a little more :) ). I did not and will not spend a lot of time on digging in school life, because I think that TOP-5 is clear criterion and my success will depend on me, my ability to perform well in all directions in a B-school, rather than on school itself. Therefore, the main question for me is how to increase my chance to be admitted.

The main question you need to answer is why top 5 matters so much to you; what does a top 5 school have that lower ranked schools do not. The next order of business, obviously, would be to learn about the schools you are considering so you can answer that question. Schools will love it when you tell them that you didn't bother to look into how they are different from other top schools.
Re: What should I ask assistant dean of Columbia?   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2008, 00:43