Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What Should I Do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

What Should I Do? [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 20:19
Hi everyone,
I took GMAT for the first time in Oct 2006 and I got 350(Q31, V9). Then I got OG11 and Princeton Review 2006 edition and studied them. I did all of the questions in OG11 and did review my errors several times. Then, I took the PrepGMAT tests 5 times and my scores were between 350 to 490 and my quantitative scores were between 29 to 42. Then, I took the GMAT for the second time yesterday Nov 27, 2006 and I got 370(Q29, V31).

Even though I feel very bad and stupid, I do not want to give up. Now, I am planning to take for the third times sometimes in end of the April 2007.

Now, I would like you to give your frank suggestion about what exactly do I need to do if I want to get score around 600. Just to let you know that English is my second language and obviously it is my biggest weakness; especially, the critical reasoning section.

Please tell me, what should I do? Thank you very much
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 21:26
Read the stories from Rhyme and positive soul.

They can just inspire anyone.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2006, 17:42
Don't despair!

It can be done, but to gain 200 points will take an enormous amount of effort and practice. maybe 200-300 hours of quality study/practice time.

GMAT is not really IQ, it is practice and familiarity, and like any sport or game can be learned and mastered... but it requires a lot of work if you aren't predisposed to it to begin with. I would say, maximize your strength, mitigate your weaknesses. Put a lot of effort into getting your Q up as high as you can maybe 48?... then figure out what your V should be to get the score you want (600? 640? 680? etc).

Use GMATPrep (as well as GMatclub Challenges and powerprep) to gauge your progress. When you feel confident... go for it!

Oh, and read all the inspirational posts you can.. that will help motivate you. And lastly, get a very broad perspective on what other people have done... you will learn what works for you..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2006, 21:42
I would strongly recommend taking a prep course and possibly getting an English or GMAT verbal tutor. Where do you live?

I am taking an online GMAT course through Princeton Review and it's excellent, but I think you would do better to take a classroom course with an instructor. Princeton Review is strong on verbal so I would recommend them to you.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Never, I say never give up! [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2006, 14:42
I too had an initial bad first experience with the GMAT to the tune of a 480 a number of years back. With a disciplined approach to study and a healthy dose of optimism, I recently turned in a 690.

One of the things that worked outside of the study plan was the mental or psychological training I did with my mind. It works differently for each person, but for me I was much more calm about the test and it allowed me to stay composed during difficult questions.

The bottom line is that yes, you do need to understand the workings of the GMAT, which you obviously do, but you also need to prepare your mindset!
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Never, I say never give up! [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2006, 22:07
socalmark wrote:
I too had an initial bad first experience with the GMAT to the tune of a 480 a number of years back. With a disciplined approach to study and a healthy dose of optimism, I recently turned in a 690.

One of the things that worked outside of the study plan was the mental or psychological training I did with my mind. It works differently for each person, but for me I was much more calm about the test and it allowed me to stay composed during difficult questions.

The bottom line is that yes, you do need to understand the workings of the GMAT, which you obviously do, but you also need to prepare your mindset!

if you don't mind me asking... how did you calm yourself down? I think that is the major problem I have at the moment... start freaking out when I see the practice score I don't like... or start making stupid mistakes when nerves start messing with me...

and how long did it take you to improve?
Re: Never, I say never give up!   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2006, 22:07