Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2015, 15:23
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What should I do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

What should I do? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 04:43
First of all, I would like to thank everybody here for his contribution to an exceptional GMAT forum. Although this is my second post, I have been around for quite some time reading opinions and collecting useful stuff. I am quite puzzled regarding how I should begin my GMAT preparation and I would really appreciate your advice/opinion.

Ok, the thing that puzzles me is whether I should attend a GMAT preparation course (a good one I mean) or should I first study on my own and then attend a class? As far as I have seen, it is not only knowing things, but also the methodology to approcah the answer. I do not know if I can reach the last one on my own. So, what do you think? First study and afterwards attend a good prep.course or should I do the opposite?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 05:15
To me, the fist option sounds wise...

If u discover that u are fine to study alone, along with GMATClub where u are welcome, u could always say yourselves that u do not need any prep courses :)

Also, I think that u should arrive in that kind of courses with a minimum of knoweldge and especially, u should be perfectly aware of what u want out of this course and measure it, a minimum when we are aware of the price of such thing ;) :)

Good Luck ! :D :)

PS: I would suggest u to do all by your own & track all info in Errorlogs :)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 06:30
First and foremost, you need to make a couple of self assessments.

-Are you the type of person who can motivate yourself to study in a disciplined manner.
-Can you teach yourself new material by reading from a book or posting questions here on GMATClub?
-How much time do you have?
-What is your target score?

The problem with most prep classese is that they group high scorers with low scorers. Also, they plow through the material whether students are ready or not.

There are a couple of things I've stated over and over. One is that GMATPrep is golden. Another is that these gmat prep courses are NOT a magic wand. Just because you take a course does not mean your score will go up. The only guarantee from a prep course is that you'll be out about $1,000.

So ultimately it's up to you.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 09:33
Thank so much for the replies guys. I will consider seriously your opinions. Well to be honest I think that I am quite a disciplined person and therefore, I like to study on my own. Anyway this is what I should do in teh beginning. Studying and then maybe classes.

I would like to ask you with which books do you think I should start. I have seen many threads discussing this topic but I would really appreciate if you could write an answer including the books that best suit for every GMAT section. For example, for Quantitative this and for Verbal that. I would like to apologize in advance in case this has been answered before, but I am not so sure that someone has mentioned how a GMAT beginner should start.

Anyway, thank you for your time.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 09:36
You gotta tell us more about yourself.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 10:45
Have u seen this sum of fantastic thread?
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/1/44327

I highly recommand u to read every single words from each thread in it :)... I know, it's long yet very benefical :)
  [#permalink] 31 Aug 2007, 10:45