Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 16:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What should I do about my "no" extra curricular activites

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM, Tuck, Ross, IESE, HEC, Johnson, Booth
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

What should I do about my "no" extra curricular activites [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2008, 20:18
Hi, I would be applying for B Schools later this year and was wondering how to put my resume. I am sort of guy who wasn't involved in many extra curricular acitvites in my college (though I was active at school level but I dont think that count anything) and then after joining a software firm focussed on my office work and rest of time I would spend reading business books. One thing I do and proud of is, when ever I get time, I visit my school and take seminars for Std XIth and XIIth students guiding them about career options out there, thus giving something back to my school.

I believe, these extra curricular will count a lot when I apply to top B Schools and I am worried if my not so active profile can hinder my chances.

Please suggest if I can do something about it.

kris

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What should I do about my "no" extra curricular activites [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2008, 20:31
So, it sounds like you were pretty involved with one activity. That is exactly ONE activity more than I had on my applications and I did fine - you shouldn't have any issues! :-D
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM, Tuck, Ross, IESE, HEC, Johnson, Booth

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: What should I do about my "no" extra curricular activites [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2008, 20:34
Ah.. that was morale boosting.... I liked your answer westsider :D

kris

SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: What should I do about my "no" extra curricular activites [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2008, 22:13
I fundamentally agree with westsider, but also want to caution that having 1 strong activity shouldn't stop you from finding other activities and getting involved in them now. To hit the bulls eye, you will need more than 1 arrow in your quiver. Just my opinion.

krishan wrote:
Ah.. that was morale boosting.... I liked your answer westsider :D
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2159

Kudos [?]: 7587 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What should I do about my "no" extra curricular activites [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 09:54
Expert's post
krishan wrote:
Hi, I would be applying for B Schools later this year and was wondering how to put my resume. I am sort of guy who wasn't involved in many extra curricular acitvites in my college (though I was active at school level but I dont think that count anything) and then after joining a software firm focussed on my office work and rest of time I would spend reading business books. One thing I do and proud of is, when ever I get time, I visit my school and take seminars for Std XIth and XIIth students guiding them about career options out there, thus giving something back to my school.

I believe, these extra curricular will count a lot when I apply to top B Schools and I am worried if my not so active profile can hinder my chances.

Please suggest if I can do something about it.

This could be considered very helpful by many B-schools.
They want their alums to come back as well or at least be available for the first year students. Makes the school look good - creates a positive environment, etc, etc. People like you could be worth quite a bit to any school - you may need another "hobby" or something like this, but this definitely is a strong one that you need to make sure is picked up by the admissions.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What should I do about my "no" extra curricular activites [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 10:00
From reading the forums there seems to be a lot of dings for insincerity. I'd just keep it real and focus on what you have learned instead of inventing an image.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What should I do about my "no" extra curricular activites [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2008, 19:00
Maple wrote:
From reading the forums there seems to be a lot of dings for insincerity. I'd just keep it real and focus on what you have learned instead of inventing an image.

Amen to that!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: What should I do about my "no" extra curricular activites [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2008, 15:19
Maple wrote:

I don't have many activities going on as well. I think what I would do is to find a couple of things I am really interested in and get involved. It surely beats doing something for the sake of it. There's got to be something interesting.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What should I do about my "no" extra curricular activites [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2008, 06:28
altaurus1 wrote:
I don't have many activities going on as well. I think what I would do is to find a couple of things I am really interested in and get involved. It surely beats doing something for the sake of it. There's got to be something interesting.

So you are asking us what your passion is?
Re: What should I do about my "no" extra curricular activites   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2008, 06:28