Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What should I do next?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What should I do next? [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 09:23
25M/ Asian American. From an Immigrant family. Parents do not have high school educations. One of the firsts in my extended family to attend college.

3.1 GPA B.S in Chemistry from A Top 25 University. Does Major and Strength of School matter? I feel that Chemistry is a harder major than most and should be evaluated accordingly. I also feel school should carry some weight.

700 GMAT ( 49 Q 36 V) 5.0 AWA

Atypical Work Experience
- >2.5 years at an Emerging Biotech Company working Research and Development. Promoted in a quicker timeframe than others in my position. Increased Salary 35% in that time period. Assumed lead on various product development projects. Mangaged, mainted, oversaw inventory database for department of 70+ employees. Integral member of numerous developmental projects including communications task force to improve intra-departamental communcations, process improvement, and product development initiatives.

Community Service
- Missions trip to Mexico. Completed small constructions projects at improverished neighborhood in Mexico city at local church. Help run a summer Bible school.
- Volunteered at a local daycare center in college.



The Schools that I am looking at
Wharton
Columbia
Michigan
Duke
UVA
Texas
USC
Georgetown

Here is my situation. I quit my job about 6 weeks ago to study for the GMAT's and do some traveling. I have taken my test and have returned from traveling. I want to apply in 08' and was wondering what the best way I can improve my profile. Should I retake the test and try to nab an extra 30-40 points? Should I work part time and take a few classes at a local university in stats and accounting to improve my mediocre GPA. Or should I try to find work? and in what? I was thinking either sales, finance or consulting, or something like I have been doing. I have also considered moving to South korea to teach english and learn korean. Finally I thought about traveling abroad and volunteering. Any help would be appreciated
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1658
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What should I do next? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 21:20
Jtgu04 wrote:
25M/ Asian American. From an Immigrant family. Parents do not have high school educations. One of the firsts in my extended family to attend college.

3.1 GPA B.S in Chemistry from A Top 25 University. Does Major and Strength of School matter? I feel that Chemistry is a harder major than most and should be evaluated accordingly. I also feel school should carry some weight.

700 GMAT ( 49 Q 36 V) 5.0 AWA

Atypical Work Experience
- >2.5 years at an Emerging Biotech Company working Research and Development. Promoted in a quicker timeframe than others in my position. Increased Salary 35% in that time period. Assumed lead on various product development projects. Mangaged, mainted, oversaw inventory database for department of 70+ employees. Integral member of numerous developmental projects including communications task force to improve intra-departamental communcations, process improvement, and product development initiatives.

Community Service
- Missions trip to Mexico. Completed small constructions projects at improverished neighborhood in Mexico city at local church. Help run a summer Bible school.
- Volunteered at a local daycare center in college.



The Schools that I am looking at
Wharton
Columbia
Michigan
Duke
UVA
Texas
USC
Georgetown

Here is my situation. I quit my job about 6 weeks ago to study for the GMAT's and do some traveling. I have taken my test and have returned from traveling. I want to apply in 08' and was wondering what the best way I can improve my profile. Should I retake the test and try to nab an extra 30-40 points? Should I work part time and take a few classes at a local university in stats and accounting to improve my mediocre GPA. Or should I try to find work? and in what? I was thinking either sales, finance or consulting, or something like I have been doing. I have also considered moving to South korea to teach english and learn korean. Finally I thought about traveling abroad and volunteering. Any help would be appreciated


Jtgu04,

More important than raising your GMAT score is getting a job that shows forward movement from your previous job, especially in leadership responsibility, and that relates to your post-MBA goal (if possible). You didn't mention what your post-MBA goals are, but ideally your next job will align with those goals. I don't think teaching in Korea would help your profile much which seems a bit light in leadership. I certainly recommend deepening your community involvement (the Mexico trips sound unusual). Based on what you have given me I think you're aiming too high with Wharton, Columbia, Michigan, Duke, and UVa. Even the remaining schools are hardly shoe-ins. Since you are only 25, my advice is that you wait a year and build up your profile in the meantime.

Good luck,
_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 10:02
Thank you for your honest and candid answer paul. Although it wasn't the answer I was looking for, It helped me out. My main motivation for getting an MBA is to change career fields. I am not sure if that is an answer many schools like to hear... but truthfully that is my main reason. From the material I have read, that is not an answer that business schools like to hear.. but typically want very unique specific goals for MBA applicants. Although waiting a year wouldn't kill me, I would really like to go in 08' and still want to apply to most of the schools I listed. Given that, what is the best thing to do in that limited time frame?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Also [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 11:49
Also...What do you think would be a an appropriate list of schools for me to apply to... reach... probables... and possibles... I thought i devised a good list with wharton and columbia as reaches... Duke, mich, and UVA as possibles... and usc texas and georgetown as probables.... thoughts??
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1658
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Also [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 20:19
Jtgu04 wrote:
Also...What do you think would be a an appropriate list of schools for me to apply to... reach... probables... and possibles... I thought i devised a good list with wharton and columbia as reaches... Duke, mich, and UVA as possibles... and usc texas and georgetown as probables.... thoughts??


Jtgu04,

Most people go to business school to change careers; school have no problem with that, but you have to show them you know where you want to go as credibly as you can.

I can't recommend schools because you didn't mention post-MBA goals. Also, are you asking what schools you could get into if you apply while unemployed?
_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2007, 07:41
Yes... I am... I have signed up for some undergrad courses in stat and accounting in my home town where there are not a lot of job options.. I do not want to take these classes if it will not help...Would it be more important for me to find another job??? Is my current unemployment a Big negative?? I am starting to feel discouraged...

Post MBA plans
Advancement in my current field is impossible without a graduate degree, either Phd or MBA. While I enjoyed what I did at the time, I did not see myself working in research and development the rest of my life and so decided not to pursue an Phd. Again the main reason for getting an MBA is to switch careers. The aspects of my job I enjoyed most was the quantitative components and business development. I want to be able to utilize my technical knowledge of the biotech industry combined with the business knowledge of an MBA and work as an analyst evaluating new companies and technologies for an investment banking firm.

Agains thanks,
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1658
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 20:56
Jtgu04 wrote:
Yes... I am... I have signed up for some undergrad courses in stat and accounting in my home town where there are not a lot of job options.. I do not want to take these classes if it will not help...Would it be more important for me to find another job??? Is my current unemployment a Big negative?? I am starting to feel discouraged...

Post MBA plans
Advancement in my current field is impossible without a graduate degree, either Phd or MBA. While I enjoyed what I did at the time, I did not see myself working in research and development the rest of my life and so decided not to pursue an Phd. Again the main reason for getting an MBA is to switch careers. The aspects of my job I enjoyed most was the quantitative components and business development. I want to be able to utilize my technical knowledge of the biotech industry combined with the business knowledge of an MBA and work as an analyst evaluating new companies and technologies for an investment banking firm.

Agains thanks,


Jtgu04,

Yes, taking those classes are fine but applying after a long spell of unemployment, especially when you left the company (i.e., you weren't downsized along with 30 others) is a big negative. You don't need to get a job that's connected with your post-MBA goal, but you need to get some leadership and impact experiences to wow the admissions committees. In the meantime, you can start networking with people in IB, join some relevant organizations, and sink your teeth into a leadership role in your extracurricular life.

_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic What do I do next ? novice2014 2 14 Apr 2014, 22:38
What should I do for the next two years? fervorking 1 15 Apr 2013, 05:13
Halfway through prep. What should I do next? asharma86 2 11 Aug 2012, 08:35
What Should I Do? g1m2a3t406 5 28 Nov 2006, 20:19
What do I do next? PSG 1 28 Sep 2005, 09:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What should I do next?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.