Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What should my GMAT score be?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

What should my GMAT score be? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 06:09
Hi,
I am innersanctum. I am planning to take up GMAT in August 2010. Willing to take up the Feb 2011 admissions. I have a few questions that I would like to seek answers. So before I shoot them, I would like to give you a brief insight into my profile.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 78% overall from India. I switched over to software development and started working as software engineer. I have till date 5 years experience working in retail and banking domains. I also have a distance education MBA. In order to give a boast to my career, I would like to pursue MBA from the US.

1) What are the best universities in the US that suit my profile?
2) What is the GMAT score that is necessary to gain entry to these US universities?

Thanks in advance :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: What should my GMAT score be? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 13:02
innersanctum wrote:
Hi,
I am innersanctum. I am planning to take up GMAT in August 2010. Willing to take up the Feb 2011 admissions. I have a few questions that I would like to seek answers. So before I shoot them, I would like to give you a brief insight into my profile.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 78% overall from India. I switched over to software development and started working as software engineer. I have till date 5 years experience working in retail and banking domains. I also have a distance education MBA. In order to give a boast to my career, I would like to pursue MBA from the US.

2) What is the GMAT score that is necessary to gain entry to these US universities?

I want to say this in the nicest way possible, but i think you are deferring your work to others. Which university is good for your profile depends on what you want from an MBA. Each Univ has certain programs that are very good and some that are ok. Hence rather than going by university, try to contact alumni of universities that interest you and ask them about the pros and cons of their program. Answer to qn 2 lies in answer to qn 1.
That being said, most top tier univs want atleast a 710.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [3] , given: 195

Re: What should my GMAT score be? [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 14:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
innersanctum wrote:
Hi,

Hi innersanctum:
There are a couple of issues at play here - your original question and the fact that you already have an MBA.

First, your original question(s):
    I have been an admissions consultant for the last 8 years and have worked with hundreds of applicants.
    Trust me when I say that there is simply not information provided to tell you what schools are good for you.

However, I want to provide you with a starting point:
    What are you short and longer term goals? You need to think about this first before you try to figure out what school is going to be a good fit for you. Start by creating a high-level goals and then work backwards towards "why MBA? Why this school?"

Now thing about how an MBA (in general) fits into this paradigm. Is the MBA the best path to get you to your immediately actionable (employable) short-term goal? Now, will an MBA help you generate the types of relationships and acumen to get towards your more strategic long-term goal?

While your work experience is good and is a "known quantity", it is a very common background for an Indian IT male. What have you done at work and through extracurricular activities to demonstrate that your goals build on this experience? How is this incrementally different and better than others that are from your applicant sub-group (Indian IT males, for example).

Once you have a story, then do the homework and figure out what schools will get you towards your goals? If your goals are technically oriented, then consider programs like Tepper or perhaps MIT and Berkeley. Again, this is heavily dependent on your GMAT score. If it is more finance-oriented, with a strong element of IT, then consider a school like Johnson.

Now for the 2nd issue - your current MBA:
    This is going to be a very big issue for the admissions committee.

Frankly, they are going to wonder why it is that you have an MBA and what you would gain out of your 2nd MBA.

Specifically, they are going to wonder if the "decisioning" framework you used to select, matriculate and complete this first MBA is flawed. Basically, is getting this 2nd MBA a mistake?

You are really going to explain this in your essays and interview. In fact, please note that some MBA programs will not accept those with an existing MBA or those that are transfer students.

I really hope this is helpful. I say the above with the utmost respect for your situation. I have seen this before during the last 8 years.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Respectfully,
Paul

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: What should my GMAT score be? [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 01:15
Thank you mbafall2011 and PaulLanzillotti for your valuable words.

Here are some of the inputs that I would like to share.

My Long term Goal - To work as a operational strategist/Business consultant. I am interested to work on ERP and CRM. More on the business side than the technical.
My experience in datawarehousing and strong fundamentals in IT applications will help me to leverage my objective.

Short term Goal - Employablity that is. This surely revolves around value for money of the MBA.

Extra curricular -
1) I have done some theatre. My theatre group has been winning the inter-corporate championship for the last 3 years consecutively
2) Trekking is my passion. I have trekked many strenuous forest ranges in south India. Involved in forest conservation events.

About my 1st MBA: It was from a relatively lesser known university. Since it was a distance education, my exposure was relatively curtailed. Yes, I did learn the basics right.
However, I need more of case study approach/learning with a prototype experience. Also an MBA from the US will give me an international exposure.

I hope the above information will help you suggest me a good school that will suit me.

Thanks,
innersanctum
Re: What should my GMAT score be?   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2010, 01:15