Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What the reviews about Global School of Business, UCT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 2.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

What the reviews about Global School of Business, UCT? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 07:14
Hello All

I am new to the forum and have just started preparing for GMAT. I will be taking my GMAT test around last week of AUG.
I need some reviews around the Global School of Business, University of cape town.

The school salary seem to be comparable to to 20 business schools.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 142

Re: What the reviews about Global School of Business, UCT? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 08:29
This post received
KUDOS
sidhaa wrote:
Hello All

I am new to the forum and have just started preparing for GMAT. I will be taking my GMAT test around last week of AUG.
I need some reviews around the Global School of Business, University of cape town.

The school salary seem to be comparable to to 20 business schools.

Thanks

Hi Sidha,

I think you are referring to Graduate School of Business, UCT. I was eyeing on that school and have done some research. It is n't a great school, if you are not a South African. The school is one of the best South African B-Schools, but that's it. Doesn't have much recognition out side SA. Visa is tough to get in SA, so if you are looking for post study work, then you might want to rethink.

I contacted to one of the Alumni; He was a good participant over there and went to Kellogs for exchange program, but he had to return to India post study and as per him - the degree is not so well received in India. :(

Anyway, if you find any further information. Please do let me know.
However, still I believe in whatever FT has reported. So keep researching further.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: What the reviews about Global School of Business, UCT? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 11:26
ConnectTheDots wrote:
sidhaa wrote:
Hello All

The school salary seem to be comparable to top 20 business schools.

Thanks

Hi Sidha,

I think you are referring to Graduate School of Business, UCT. I was eyeing on that school and have done some research. It is n't a great school, if you are not a South African. The school is one of the best South African B-Schools, but that's it. Doesn't have much recognition out side SA. Visa is tough to get in SA, so if you are looking for post study work, then you might want to rethink.

I contacted to one of the Alumni; He was a good participant over there and went to Kellogs for exchange program, but he had to return to India post study and as per him - the degree is not so well received in India. :(

Anyway, if you find any further information. Please do let me know.
However, still I believe in whatever FT has reported. So keep researching further.

HI

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I don't think VISA is an issue for working in SouthAfrica if you can manage to get job there.
I am currently on deputation , working in South Africa for some project work from my company and as such came to know about this school.
I also had not heard of this business school earlier and wanted some reviews .

Certain things that i got about this school :
This business school's average GMAT ranges between 500-600 and average salary ranges is also -141000$
plus the fee is also less compared to other buisness schools.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 7

Re: What the reviews about Global School of Business, UCT? [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS
Hello

I tried calling School couple of times but never received any clear response. Luckily i found someone studying in 2014 batch from INDIA and below is the feedback from his side:

Hi Sanket
My name is Avinash and i require your assistance regarding GSB,UCT. I am currently in johannesburg on some international work assignment.

Sanket Jakate REPLY

Well. It depends on what do you want to do after MBA- be very clear I would suggest.
Case A :
If u r on an education loan and bit worried about getting instant job to repay the loan or very tight on budget, then please DO NOT COME. Work visa restrictions have been increased. College is pretty focused more on Social Innovation and Research (kind of academic stuff) compared to campus recruitment. I am not denying that companies don't come here to hire. Large Consulting firms (McKinsey,Bain, BCG etc.), financial firms and other service and manufacturing firms do visit the campus to give the seminar and introduce their recruitment process.
But, probability of getting foreigner recruited is considerably low. Case B :
If u are financially sound enough and want to explore the new market, wanna do some research or innovation (Social) then this is the best place. Also, u will have an international exchange programmes with top notch B-schools.

Work visa problematic - they have 40% unemployment over here. But there are workarounds such as Special skills visa. But I am not sure whether they have stopped issuing it from this year.
Networking is the key to get a job in any International Market. Dont rely totally on career service department. Wish u all the best!!!
I have provided all info, decide wisely. If u need any help plz let me know. But, next week is bit hectic.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 142

Re: What the reviews about Global School of Business, UCT? [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 11:16
hi Sidhaa

Thanks for sharing the info.
Cost wise it's not a burden. Last year full time MBA was 308000 rand, comes to around 17 lakhs rupees(compared to min 50 lakhs in US/Europe B Schools).
Even Indian Tier 2 schools charge almost 12-15, and they have poor placements.

Any chance, we could get the placement reports ?
And are you considering this ?

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Re: What the reviews about Global School of Business, UCT?   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2014, 11:16