Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What time to take the test?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 08:09
I have scheduled my GMAT test for march 26, 12 noon. It did not strike me to think about the time of the test all this time but now that the day is approaching, I see myself worrying because 12 noon is 'not a great time' according to me. I took the GMAT last year in Sept and had the 8 AM slot. This slot does not work for me either,too early! I remember waking up at 5 AM to get ready and reach the test centre by 730 AM. I wanted to avoid this and the only other slot that I saw was 26 march 12noon. Instantly I had booked this one. I can generally concentrate between 10 AM and 12 noon and around 130-2 PM onward. Clearly, 12 noon is not for me.
What can I do? I don't want the 8 AM slot either. My city has only 2 slots generally,8 AM and 4 PM.this 12 slot was something that I found out just by chance....Should I train my mind to start working at 12 noon ? Any other alternatives?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 08:22
Well, if 8am doesn't work, and noon doesn't work, then that only leaves one option right?

Or you could try to figure out why the 12pm-1:30pm gap is bad for you. Are you saying you could sleep til 10am the morning of the test and still hit a wall when the test starts at noon?

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 08:31
emont,thanks for your reply.
I never sleep beyond 8 AM, so that's not a problem but the problem is I Start feeling hungry around,12 PM, that time :lol: So I need to serve myself lunch around that time and then my mind 'shuts off' for some time after lunch... May be changing my daily schedule wil help?
8 am is definitely out of question for me, I'm not even fully awake by then...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 08:34
you still have quite a bit of time until march.
i would try to do full-length practice exams starting at 12 leading up to the test
this should help train your mind
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
Well, nutrition is a bit beyond the scope of this board, but if you can't go more than 5 hours without eating then you're probably riding blood sugar/insulin spikes and crashes throughout the day, which would explain your mind shutting down at random times due to low blood glucose levels.

PM me if you want more of an explanation.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 13:39
ibbys wrote:
you still have quite a bit of time until march.
i would try to do full-length practice exams starting at 12 leading up to the test
this should help train your mind

I think this is my only bet
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 13:44
emont wrote:
Well, nutrition is a bit beyond the scope of this board, but if you can't go more than 5 hours without eating then you're probably riding blood sugar/insulin spikes and crashes throughout the day, which would explain your mind shutting down at random times due to low blood glucose levels.

PM me if you want more of an explanation.

nutrition,hmmmm :|
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 14:23
no good time to take the GMAT! you just get up and do it... it's never gonna be first thing on your list of great things to do with your day. :shock:
Banned

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 16:03
Does anybody have any data on the average score of each time slot? THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, AS I DON'T WANT TO PICK THE WRONG TIME SLOT AND MAKE A 370 OR SOMETHING.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 18:56
southernstunna wrote:
Does anybody have any data on the average score of each time slot? THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, AS I DON'T WANT TO PICK THE WRONG TIME SLOT AND MAKE A 370 OR SOMETHING.

I'm sure there is data on this, but what makes you think this may apply to you? I mean just because the average score after 4pm is around the high 600's doesn't necessary mean you'll have a higher chance of getting a high 600 score. Just my opinion. And I'm sure if you're taking the GMAT you have already been through school, know your study habits, and whether you are a morning or evening person. I would use that experience to schedule my test time.
Banned

Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 20:20
AMUSE wrote:
southernstunna wrote:

I'm sure there is data on this, but what makes you think this may apply to you? I mean just because the average score after 4pm is around the high 600's doesn't necessary mean you'll have a higher chance of getting a high 600 score. Just my opinion. And I'm sure if you're taking the GMAT you have already been through school, know your study habits, and whether you are a morning or evening person. I would use that experience to schedule my test time.

ha I am kidding brah...obviously this is completely ludicrous. It does not matter when you take the test. Get up a few hours before, chug a pot of coffee and go take the thing. Who cares if you get the 8AM slot or the noon slot.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 13:06
hoogets25 wrote:
it's never gonna be first thing on your list of great things to do with your day. :shock:
LOL I agree
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 13:08
southernstunna wrote:
AMUSE wrote:
southernstunna wrote:

ha I am kidding brah...obviously this is completely ludicrous. It does not matter when you take the test. Get up a few hours before, chug a pot of coffee and go take the thing. Who cares if you get the 8AM slot or the noon slot.

southernstunna,I was actually really worried about test time especially if it was the early morning time slots. That slot did affect my score by may be 10-20 points, although I cannot really blame it :| for my terrible performance on my last GMAT. So,wanted to get all the 'small things in place' and have only my strategies to blame if I underperform this time too :-)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5359 [1] , given: 165

Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 18:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
heygirl wrote:
southernstunna,I was actually really worried about test time especially if it was the early morning time slots. That slot did affect my score by may be 10-20 points, although I cannot really blame it :| for my terrible performance on my last GMAT. So,wanted to get all the 'small things in place' and have only my strategies to blame if I underperform this time too :-)

For most people, one or the other slot works best. I would not go for the evening slot if possible since I would feel the pressure of an important test throughout the day. Early morning would be painful since I would have to wake up very early. So if someone were to ask which slot is most appropriate in my opinion, I would say 12 noon too... Though if you did not have an option, you would not think about it and just focus on the test. I suggest you do just that. I believe that in the actual scheme of things, the slot doesn't matter. If you take an exam at the time you feel works best for you, it's just a psychological advantage for your frayed nerves.

Though, keeping hunger at bay is important. You wouldn't feel it in the beginning of the test but in the later part, you will be exhausted and then you may start losing patience if you are hungry too. My suggestion would be to take a decent breakfast around 9 and then a light snack before your test. Carry a light snack to munch on during Quant-Verbal break too.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Banned

Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 19:12
I honestly did not even know there was an evening slot. Weird.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [1] , given: 432

Premium Member
Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 01:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
We actually have a thread on snacks during the GMAT. The best thing for you to do, though, is to adapt to the 12:00 PM test schedule. Try to time your meals accordingly to accommodate for this (maybe two smaller meals in the morning instead of one larger one, etc.). And definitely take your practice CAT's at this time.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 6

Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
This helped me while I was prearing for a different exam, but for 2/3 weeks or so, do your CATS (may be 2 a week) at the same time as the D-day, you will be amazed how your mind and body adapt to the habit!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2011, 13:28
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
For most people, one or the other slot works best. I would not go for the evening slot if possible since I would feel the pressure of an important test throughout the day. Early morning would be painful since I would have to wake up very early. So if someone were to ask which slot is most appropriate in my opinion, I would say 12 noon too... Though if you did not have an option, you would not think about it and just focus on the test. I suggest you do just that. I believe that in the actual scheme of things, the slot doesn't matter. If you take an exam at the time you feel works best for you, it's just a psychological advantage for your frayed nerves.

Though, keeping hunger at bay is important. You wouldn't feel it in the beginning of the test but in the later part, you will be exhausted and then you may start losing patience if you are hungry too. My suggestion would be to take a decent breakfast around 9 and then a light snack before your test. Carry a light snack to munch on during Quant-Verbal break too.

Thanks. I have taken 2 tests in the last 2 weeks at the same time and on the same day as my real GMAT. I think this time is working well for me :) .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2011, 13:28
desiaggie1980 wrote:
This helped me while I was prearing for a different exam, but for 2/3 weeks or so, do your CATS (may be 2 a week) at the same time as the D-day, you will be amazed how your mind and body adapt to the habit!

I followed this and am now at peace about my test timing :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: What time to take the test? [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2011, 13:30
bmillan01 wrote:
We actually have a thread on snacks during the GMAT. The best thing for you to do, though, is to adapt to the 12:00 PM test schedule. Try to time your meals accordingly to accommodate for this (maybe two smaller meals in the morning instead of one larger one, etc.). And definitely take your practice CAT's at this time.

Yes, I did take my practice tests at this time and I'm pleasantly surprised that this time is working for me. I need to work around the meals plan though...
Re: What time to take the test?   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2011, 13:30