Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What to do? And what about my profile?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What to do? And what about my profile? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2010, 07:14
Help would be much appreciated! Be constructive!
BIG THX and if there is the chance this wont be the last thing you heard a bout me ;)

Last edited by collector on 02 Aug 2010, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: What to do? And what about my profile? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 13:25
I don't understand:
a) why you didn't apply to those schools this year
b) why you need two masters
c) why you need msc with the same name as ba and in the same school
Intern
Intern

Re: What to do? And what about my profile? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 16:31
In Belgium it's common, everybody does it so that they become commercial/business engineer... not doing your master is rly an exception! And when finishing your master you prolly end up in consulting and i rly dont wanna do that.... that's why I'm considering an additional master in finance(lot of my friends do it at Vlerick but i want to aim higher and have a foreign experience!
Intern
Intern

Re: What to do? And what about my profile? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 22:08
collector wrote:
In Belgium it's common, everybody does it so that they become commercial/business engineer... not doing your master is rly an exception! And when finishing your master you prolly end up in consulting and i rly dont wanna do that.... that's why I'm considering an additional master in finance(lot of my friends do it at Vlerick but i want to aim higher and have a foreign experience!

for ib or especially hedge funds you don't need masters at all (provided that you have a really good undegrad degree in relevant field) let alone 2-years masters and let alone in business engineering. I still don't understand why you decided to waste two years on ms in business engineering at the same school instead of applying to decent one-year masters in math\finance in the first place. And it's not so relevant what everybody does in belgium since you want to go to ib or hedge funds. And there aren't that many ibs and hedge funds in belgium, aren't there?
Intern
Intern

Re: What to do? And what about my profile? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 06:45
Your right, but with my mediocre bachelor GPA my chances to get in a good finance program would be very slim no?
Regarding why I'm doing the master, for my management skills, to have broader knowledge in certain fields and improve my formal English skills. Also it will give me time to build up a competitive curriculum(do my cfa, gmat and internship). 2 years ago i was more leaning to an mba (so didn't have to prepare myself for applications yet)
It's not like i want to jump off and work, i like the university experience.

Are you in IB?
Intern
Intern

Re: What to do? And what about my profile? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 10:08
High score in GMAT can compensate for not too impressive GPA and it takes less than 2 years.
What extra knowledge are you talking about if you are taking the degree with the same name as your BA from the same school and therefore with the same faculty etc? Hope you don't pay $$$ for the degree.
Thing is, while you keep yourself busy with collecting several masters for your cv you may miss ib train.
Intern
Intern

Re: What to do? And what about my profile? [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 00:33
paying 500 euros/year like for my bachelor

link in pm

Thats what I'm going to do, maybe interesting read for you....
I do get access to other faculty cuz it's co-organized!
I think it's not that bad...
Opinion?
Intern
Intern

Re: What to do? And what about my profile? [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 03:21
Your initial question wans’t “I like msc A, is it ok that I like it?”, was it? Your question was “I want to do ibanking or hedge funds, will msc A and msc B get me there?” My answer is - It’s unlikely that taking this program will improve your chances to get any closer. Why? Consider the following.

A guy from Belgium with BSc from Solvay gets MSc from Solvay. So his resume looks like:
MSc in Business Engineering, Solvay
BSc in Business Engineering, Solvay
What is the difference? Right, only one letter “M”.
Another guy, say, from Somali comes to Solvay to get MSc in Business Engineering. His cv looks like:
MSc in Business Engineering, Solvay
BSc in Accounting, Somali University

First cv rises a lot of questions. Not only the purpose of doing the msc is unclear but also there is no indication of efforts at all. He didn’t have to do anything, prove anything or pay anything to enroll on the program so there is nothing what stands him out from the crowd.
The second cv is much more attractive. It reflects different degrees, subjects, countries, schools, and cultures. It also tells people that this guy coming from a poor country managed to get in to a good eu grad school and probably got a scholarship\grant\etc. He demonstrated ambitions and clear sense of purpose. Even though he is not from Harvard of something, not even from any of our target schools, he made a terrific progress from where he was to where he is now. And if we help this guy a little bit, he will surely jump even higher. That’s how employers think.

This also answers your another question “Is it a good program?”. It is not a bad program per se, but whether it’s good or not for a particular person depends on his profile and his career aspirations. For most employers (especially for ibanks) in your cv it carries no weight whatsoever.
Re: What to do? And what about my profile?   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2010, 03:21