Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

zzz

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

zzz [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 12:41

Last edited by wonderbread1 on 22 Jul 2011, 09:46, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: What to do for 1 year that would look good...leaving job [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 13:00
wonderbread1 wrote:
Pretty frustrated with my job. It's a technical engineering job that would look OK to b-schools. However, not too much teamwork/leadership so I'm not too worried about having something else.

What is something else I could do though for a year that looks good for apps? I'm not finding a lot of engineering in my area so I figure I might want to help out my app.

To be honest, I'd stay at your job. Doing something for a year just because you think it would look good on your applications will be something the admission committees will be able to see right through. Just because you can't find too much teamwork/leadership at your job, that doesn't mean you can't find it with an extracurricular activity outside of work.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1392 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: What to do for 1 year that would look good...leaving job [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 13:10
I agree with perseverance. It'd be obvious and you shouldn't be doing something because you think the school wants it. Trying to fit in what you have with their ideals is ok. Redoing your life for a year so it's exactly what they want (which is redundant, cos then everyone will be in their top school) is kinda hard and IMO not worth it. Participate in activities that use your passion. Just my two cents

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 67

GMAT Tests User
Re: What to do for 1 year that would look good...leaving job [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 15:03
I think if you know where you want to go after school you can find a position that gets you better qualified for that change. If there is a big career change in your future, that might help build the case it is plausible.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: What to do for 1 year that would look good...leaving job [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 08:16
Move to Austria and become a Ski-bum! :)

But on a more serious note - unless you find another job/position that suits you better, I would stay on. Try to find leadership/teamwork positions by taking on additional responsibilities (even it that means you are not paid any more).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: What to do for 1 year that would look good...leaving job [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 09:06
As people have already suggested, pursue your passion. If you do not know what that is, now is the time to find out. since you are already frustated with your job, you can use this time to find out wat you would like to do with your life.

Hope you do find what you are passionate about. .

Cheers :)
Re: What to do for 1 year that would look good...leaving job   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2010, 09:06