Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 19:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

disappointed with my admissions consultant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q V
GPA: 3.77
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

disappointed with my admissions consultant [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 13:17
I decided to hire a consultant back in May and I'm quite disappointed.

These are the reason why I not happy:

-I decided to go for one school package only, but the school has not release the essays yet. I've been pressing my consultant to start working on my story or something, but i got the "lets just wait until the the essays are out"

-So far we have only been working on my resume. Even when we only change a couple bullet points at a time (one or two sentence) my consultant takes the longest available in the contract (48 hrs) and the feedback is more like "not quite there yet... tell me the impact". if it takes 48 EVERY SINGLE TIME to review two sentences, then I have the feeling my consultant is only punching the clock and making a minimum effort.

-I had a conference this past weekend and I ask my consultant for advice. I mentioned a couple schools that I wanted to talk to. I said i know that I have to ask meaningful question and avoid stuff that are easily available online, what advise do you have for me?

The advise i got was "you already know what to do. ask insightful questions that relate to your career, how are the clubs on campus, what are they doing to expand the brand" (to me this is common sense and had no value added, or maybe I'm just being to demanding.

I was expecting something more like, for school X you can approach them like this.... community is important for school Y, make sure to talk about this... etc.... I was expecting some some value added in the advice. This has led me to believe my consultant doesn't have much knowledge about the current school programs :(

judging by my experience so far, I'm afraid that by the time we work on the essays, it will be more of the same generic advice and just killing time until the application is over.

Is it to early to tell, am I being unfair, or should I just fire my consultant a find a new one quickly?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 95

Re: disappointed with my admissions consultant [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 18:30
I would suggest adding to your question, what should I be asking when evaluating an Admissions Consultant?

I'm not an expert in this area, but life-experience has taught me that it doesn't matter why you are unhappy. You are spending good money to get into a good school. You deserve to be getting top rate service. I think you should take one of two actions. One) Ask that another Consultant from the Company be assigned to you within 2 business days. Give that person two weeks. If you are still not happy, find another company. Two) Find another consultant and use your experience with the first company to ask very probing questions about their services.

Which ever decision you take, don't settle for someone who is just phoning it in.

I do not beg for kudos.

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q V
GPA: 3.77

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: disappointed with my admissions consultant [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 11:17
I'm curious to see what is the working style of other consultants; Is it only my impression that my consultant is phonie? or it is just normal that their advice is school generic and they take their time to reply eve for minor things?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 142 [1] , given: 1

Re: disappointed with my admissions consultant [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 19:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

I'm sorry you had a less than ideal experience to date. I'm not going to post here about our firm or how we do things. Instead, I will say this: the experience you have shared and documented is not how true professionals within this space operate. Yes, we all have stated turn around times but you're paying a lot of money and your consultant should respect that. No client is more important than any other and each deserves the time and attention they need.

You need to feel confident in your consultant and assured that they have your best interest at heart. This is an incredibly customized experience and if you feel any of it is generic, then you should quickly reevaluate your engagement with them.

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2375

Kudos [?]: 9925 [0], given: 3755

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: disappointed with my admissions consultant [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 20:01
Expert's post
I can see how the consultant may want to wait for the essays to be released.

Is there an option to switch which individual is working with you ?

Posted from my mobile device.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 576 [0], given: 30

Re: disappointed with my admissions consultant [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 23:32
Expert's post
summer99 wrote:
I'm curious to see what is the working style of other consultants; Is it only my impression that my consultant is phonie? or it is just normal that their advice is school generic and they take their time to reply eve for minor things?

Tough question. Consulting is a very personal thing. (Meaning even if the consultant is fantastic, if you don't feel great with them, you might find a better match). But I can also see the consultant's side. Sometimes it can be hard to give advice without a specific context. Meaning if your question was "I want to ask specific questions to schools", it's a bit broad. The first thing I would do is make sure I know you very well, your goals, your strengths, your weaknesses, ask you WHY you choose these schools and not others, find out what you do don't know and do.

But at this point I would say before you change consultants (which can be a pain also) talk to them first, tell them what's lacking, what your expectations are, how things could be better. After all YOU are the client! And it is your needs which need to be fulfilled (although this doesn't mean I'll always tell you something you'll like! ;) )

I hope this works out for you,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: disappointed with my admissions consultant   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2013, 23:32