Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: what to do....what to do [#permalink]
abraham421 wrote:
Paul, just got the acceptance letter from baruch. My GMAT score is well below the average, but I guess this shows that it is only one part of the application considered by the admissions committee...thanks for your help.
-Dan

pbodine wrote:
abraham421 wrote:
Paul, do you think I have a shot at Vanderbilt? I know it's not in NY, but they have reputable Finance program......thanks
-Daniel

Daniel,

Given that your GMAT score is outside Vanderbilt's middle 80% and that you are not an underrepresented minority, I think your chances are very small.

Good luck,

Dan,

Congratulations, that's great news! You are quite right regarding the GMAT score--it's just a data point.

Good luck,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I work in finance in NYC and would give a slight edge to Fordham based on the name, but I don't know if the cost differential b/w Fordham and Baruch would be worth the difference in name. If I were you I'd look @ who has hired grads from both in the past and avg salaries for what you wanna do and decide based on that.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
ap663 wrote:
I work in finance in NYC and would give a slight edge to Fordham based on the name, but I don't know if the cost differential b/w Fordham and Baruch would be worth the difference in name. If I were you I'd look @ who has hired grads from both in the past and avg salaries for what you wanna do and decide based on that.

Daniel,

I don't think employers care whether you went to a different business school than your undergrad school. As indications of quality, these schools' average salaries and GMATs stack up like this (may not be latest data but still instructive):

1. Fordham, 600, $76,236
2. Hofstra, 519, $67,170
3. Baruch, 591, $61,430
4. Pace, 534, $54,200

So I would choose Fordham over all others, and probably Hofstra over Baruch (but I would take a close look at which firms hire most at these two schools and choose the school where your preferred employers recruit most).
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
abraham421 wrote:
Paul,

Interviews with Pitt and Rice went great. I should know more in a couple of weeks. I got into Baruch, Hofstra, Pace, and St. Johns. I will attend Hofstra if I have to choose between those four schools. Fordham has yet to get back to me and classes start Janaury 2nd. I called the admissions office and was told that they will be sending decision letters over the next 2-3 weeks. Isn't that cutting it somewhat close to the start of classes? During Fordham's information session last week, the assistant direct of admissions also told me that some students are even notified after the start of classes. That is ridiculous!! Her excuse was that half of their admissions team is traveling on international recruitment..... I also found out today that Boston College placed me on the waiting list. I'm assuming that my GMAT score is the culprit behind the waitlist. How do you you think I should proceed from here, regarding Fordham and BC(fall)?...thanks Paul

pbodine wrote:
ap663 wrote:

Daniel,

I don't think employers care whether you went to a different business school than your undergrad school. As indications of quality, these schools' average salaries and GMATs stack up like this (may not be latest data but still instructive):

1. Fordham, 600, $76,236
2. Hofstra, 519, $67,170
3. Baruch, 591, $61,430
4. Pace, 534, $54,200

So I would choose Fordham over all others, and probably Hofstra over Baruch (but I would take a close look at which firms hire most at these two schools and choose the school where your preferred employers recruit most).

Abraham421,

You have to decide whether you are willing to wait to hear from both Fordham and BC. If that is cutting things too close for your comfort then go with one of the schools that's already admitted you. If Fordham admits you you have to ask yourself whether you're interested in BC enough to put Fordham on hold and wait out BC's wait list. If I were you I probably would take Fordham if they offered me the slot. Wait lists are a crap shoot.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
abraham421 wrote:
Paul,

It's been a crazy last few months. I'm only 24, and I got a 520 on the GMAT. I thought it would be difficult to get into ANY accredited business school. I applied to 9 schools, accepted to 6, 2 waitlists, and 1 rejection (BU). It came down to 5 choices.

1. Fordham (spring acceptance)
2. University of Pittsburgh (fall acceptance)
3. Rice (waitlist)
4. Boston College (waitlist)
3. Hofstra (spring acceptance)

I just found out today about Fordham. Pittsburgh has a good program, but it won't help me much in the NYC area. Rice and BC are not guaranteed, and Fordham has a descent program with strong recruitment in this area. Thus, like you recommended, I've decided to attend Fordham for next month. Moreover, for all those who read this, remember it's not all about the GMAT, but rather the complete package. Get good recommendations and write stellar essays. Thanks for all your help.....happy holidays.

Daniel

pbodine wrote:
abraham421 wrote:
Paul,

Interviews with Pitt and Rice went great. I should know more in a couple of weeks. I got into Baruch, Hofstra, Pace, and St. Johns. I will attend Hofstra if I have to choose between those four schools. Fordham has yet to get back to me and classes start Janaury 2nd. I called the admissions office and was told that they will be sending decision letters over the next 2-3 weeks. Isn't that cutting it somewhat close to the start of classes? During Fordham's information session last week, the assistant direct of admissions also told me that some students are even notified after the start of classes. That is ridiculous!! Her excuse was that half of their admissions team is traveling on international recruitment..... I also found out today that Boston College placed me on the waiting list. I'm assuming that my GMAT score is the culprit behind the waitlist. How do you you think I should proceed from here, regarding Fordham and BC(fall)?...thanks Paul

pbodine wrote:
ap663 wrote:

Daniel,

1. Fordham, 600, $76,236
2. Hofstra, 519, $67,170
3. Baruch, 591, $61,430
4. Pace, 534, $54,200

Abraham421,

You have to decide whether you are willing to wait to hear from both Fordham and BC. If that is cutting things too close for your comfort then go with one of the schools that's already admitted you. If Fordham admits you you have to ask yourself whether you're interested in BC enough to put Fordham on hold and wait out BC's wait list. If I were you I probably would take Fordham if they offered me the slot. Wait lists are a crap shoot.

Daniel,

Congratulations, I think you made the right choice.

Best of luck to you,
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]