Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

what to do....what to do

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: what to do....what to do [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2006, 16:46
abraham421 wrote:
i live in the nyc area. Got a 520 on the GMAT. Applied so far to fordham, baruch, & hofstra (for the spring), and for the fall, U of pittsburgh, Rice, boston University, and Boston College. I have an interview with Pitt this coming monday...excited, but still tempted to join a spring program if I get admitted to one of the three (which most probably I will-Hofstra def.).....my question is, if I'm planning to come back to NY after grad school, does it make much of a difference between going to Hofstra or U of Pitts, in terms of salary, job prospects, etc.?.....Pitt is def. a better school, but if I go to Hofstra, I can finish in a year (Dec. 07), while I will only graduate in May 09' going to a 2 yr. program in the fall...Also, what do you think are my chances to get into fordham or Baruch for Spring 07'. Lastly, what other reputable schools do you think I should apply to and have a chance at, for the fall. (No area specified).....thanks a lot.
Asian male, born in the US
Work: 2.5 yrs as fixed income analyst
Undergrad: Hofstra, BBA, 3.40 GPA
-a number of extracurriculars

Abraham421,

This is one of those cases where the rankings don't help you very much. Katz may be ranked higher than the New York schools you're considering, but if your post-MBA location is NYC, choosing a Pittsburgh school over a New York doesn't make a great deal of sense, especially when you look at (a) the quality of firms that recruit at Baruch, Hofstra, and Fordham and (b) these schools' average salaries (Katz's average was $69,000 vs. Baruch's $74,146).

Baruch might be tough for you to pull off given that its average GMAT is 130 points north of yours. Your odds at Fordham look much better, but even there you're below their median by a large amount. Frankly, I don't know what "reputable" schools I could recommend whose average GMAT is nearer to your 520. Unfortunately, I think you need to take what you can get.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2006, 07:29
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: what to do....what to do [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2006, 14:01
abraham421 wrote:
Paul, do you think I have a shot at Vanderbilt? I know it's not in NY, but they have reputable Finance program......thanks
-Daniel

Daniel,

Given that your GMAT score is outside Vanderbilt's middle 80% and that you are not an underrepresented minority, I think your chances are very small.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: what to do....what to do [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2006, 15:41
abraham421 wrote:
Paul, just got the acceptance letter from baruch. My GMAT score is well below the average, but I guess this shows that it is only one part of the application considered by the admissions committee...thanks for your help.
-Dan

pbodine wrote:
abraham421 wrote:
Paul, do you think I have a shot at Vanderbilt? I know it's not in NY, but they have reputable Finance program......thanks
-Daniel

Daniel,

Given that your GMAT score is outside Vanderbilt's middle 80% and that you are not an underrepresented minority, I think your chances are very small.

Good luck,

Dan,

Congratulations, that's great news! You are quite right regarding the GMAT score--it's just a data point.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 05:59
I work in finance in NYC and would give a slight edge to Fordham based on the name, but I don't know if the cost differential b/w Fordham and Baruch would be worth the difference in name. If I were you I'd look @ who has hired grads from both in the past and avg salaries for what you wanna do and decide based on that.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 15:41
ap663 wrote:
I work in finance in NYC and would give a slight edge to Fordham based on the name, but I don't know if the cost differential b/w Fordham and Baruch would be worth the difference in name. If I were you I'd look @ who has hired grads from both in the past and avg salaries for what you wanna do and decide based on that.

Daniel,

I don't think employers care whether you went to a different business school than your undergrad school. As indications of quality, these schools' average salaries and GMATs stack up like this (may not be latest data but still instructive):

1. Fordham, 600, $76,236
2. Hofstra, 519, $67,170
3. Baruch, 591, $61,430
4. Pace, 534, $54,200

So I would choose Fordham over all others, and probably Hofstra over Baruch (but I would take a close look at which firms hire most at these two schools and choose the school where your preferred employers recruit most).

Paul Bodine /

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2006, 15:02
abraham421 wrote:
Paul,

Interviews with Pitt and Rice went great. I should know more in a couple of weeks. I got into Baruch, Hofstra, Pace, and St. Johns. I will attend Hofstra if I have to choose between those four schools. Fordham has yet to get back to me and classes start Janaury 2nd. I called the admissions office and was told that they will be sending decision letters over the next 2-3 weeks. Isn't that cutting it somewhat close to the start of classes? During Fordham's information session last week, the assistant direct of admissions also told me that some students are even notified after the start of classes. That is ridiculous!! Her excuse was that half of their admissions team is traveling on international recruitment..... I also found out today that Boston College placed me on the waiting list. I'm assuming that my GMAT score is the culprit behind the waitlist. How do you you think I should proceed from here, regarding Fordham and BC(fall)?...thanks Paul

pbodine wrote:
ap663 wrote:

Daniel,

I don't think employers care whether you went to a different business school than your undergrad school. As indications of quality, these schools' average salaries and GMATs stack up like this (may not be latest data but still instructive):

1. Fordham, 600, $76,236
2. Hofstra, 519, $67,170
3. Baruch, 591, $61,430
4. Pace, 534, $54,200

So I would choose Fordham over all others, and probably Hofstra over Baruch (but I would take a close look at which firms hire most at these two schools and choose the school where your preferred employers recruit most).

Abraham421,

You have to decide whether you are willing to wait to hear from both Fordham and BC. If that is cutting things too close for your comfort then go with one of the schools that's already admitted you. If Fordham admits you you have to ask yourself whether you're interested in BC enough to put Fordham on hold and wait out BC's wait list. If I were you I probably would take Fordham if they offered me the slot. Wait lists are a crap shoot.

Paul Bodine /

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2006, 21:12
abraham421 wrote:
Paul,

It's been a crazy last few months. I'm only 24, and I got a 520 on the GMAT. I thought it would be difficult to get into ANY accredited business school. I applied to 9 schools, accepted to 6, 2 waitlists, and 1 rejection (BU). It came down to 5 choices.

1. Fordham (spring acceptance)
2. University of Pittsburgh (fall acceptance)
3. Rice (waitlist)
4. Boston College (waitlist)
3. Hofstra (spring acceptance)

I just found out today about Fordham. Pittsburgh has a good program, but it won't help me much in the NYC area. Rice and BC are not guaranteed, and Fordham has a descent program with strong recruitment in this area. Thus, like you recommended, I've decided to attend Fordham for next month. Moreover, for all those who read this, remember it's not all about the GMAT, but rather the complete package. Get good recommendations and write stellar essays. Thanks for all your help.....happy holidays.

Daniel

pbodine wrote:
abraham421 wrote:
Paul,

Interviews with Pitt and Rice went great. I should know more in a couple of weeks. I got into Baruch, Hofstra, Pace, and St. Johns. I will attend Hofstra if I have to choose between those four schools. Fordham has yet to get back to me and classes start Janaury 2nd. I called the admissions office and was told that they will be sending decision letters over the next 2-3 weeks. Isn't that cutting it somewhat close to the start of classes? During Fordham's information session last week, the assistant direct of admissions also told me that some students are even notified after the start of classes. That is ridiculous!! Her excuse was that half of their admissions team is traveling on international recruitment..... I also found out today that Boston College placed me on the waiting list. I'm assuming that my GMAT score is the culprit behind the waitlist. How do you you think I should proceed from here, regarding Fordham and BC(fall)?...thanks Paul

pbodine wrote:
ap663 wrote:

Daniel,

1. Fordham, 600, $76,236
2. Hofstra, 519, $67,170
3. Baruch, 591, $61,430
4. Pace, 534, $54,200

Abraham421,

You have to decide whether you are willing to wait to hear from both Fordham and BC. If that is cutting things too close for your comfort then go with one of the schools that's already admitted you. If Fordham admits you you have to ask yourself whether you're interested in BC enough to put Fordham on hold and wait out BC's wait list. If I were you I probably would take Fordham if they offered me the slot. Wait lists are a crap shoot.

Daniel,

Congratulations, I think you made the right choice.

Best of luck to you,

Paul Bodine /