Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What to do with 18 days left until test...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What to do with 18 days left until test... [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 19:31
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone had an advice to as what I should do in my current situation. I am hoping to score at least 650. Around 6 weeks ago I decided to apply to graduate school and over half my applications, which includes my most desired school, are due by March 15th. My GMAT exam is shortly before that. After going through the first two MGMAT Guides I decided that I needed some extra practice on quant and went through the Foundations book. After that I took my Second GMAT exam. On the second exam I still wasn't as keen with the content as I am now, having just finished all the MGMAT Quant books, but my basic mathematical skills were much better.

GMAT Prep Test 1 - 530 (32 Verbal 31 Quant)
- zero experience with GMAT. Paused it a lot and took a lot of breaks due to not understanding the format and question wording. Did not really have any problems with the Verbal. Stamina was terrible, ect ect.

-Quant [DS Correct- 47% , PS Correct-53%)
-Verbal [RC Correct-80% , CR Correct-87%, SC Correct-33%]

.......after working through MGMAT Roadmap and the entire Foundations of Math book

MGMAT CAT 1 - 560 (32 Verbal, 35 Quant)
- Got (10/11) 600-700 question wrong, and 60% of 500-600 wrong. Thought Foundations of Math was necessary and helped my question speed and hand computations out tremendously. I need to focus on the format of the harder questions and strategies now. I have read through all the MGMAT Quant guides as of today.

-Quant [DS Correct-41% , PS Correct-53%]
-Verbal [RC Correct-64% , CR Correct-71%, SC Correct-36%]

-I have 18 days left now. What I am trying to figure out, is where to prioritize? Its clear I need to get better at solving 500-600 and 600-700 problems, and I need to improve my sentence correction dramatically. What I am unsure of it how to do it.

-Regarding quant, Is my best strategy to do a great deal of questions while referring back to the guides? Should I focus on more difficult questions?
-Regarding verbal, should I pretty much exclusively focus on SC and not touch my MGMAT CR and RC Guides?

-Regarding the 18 days left, should I focus soley on quant for 9-10 days, and SC for 5? Or is it better to split it up. For instance 1 day quant, 1 day SC, ect. ? Any thoughts or suggestions would be extremely beneficial, because I am definitely on the struggle bus here. Thanks so much.

Kyle
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 634 [0], given: 6

Re: What to do with 18 days left until test... [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 18:15
Expert's post
At 18 days, I'd recommend reserving the last 7-10 days to take full-length practice test and review any mistakes you made throughout your study process.

The first 8-11 days, I'd say do 5-7 days of consecutive math to improve your performance there. Then do 3-5 straight days of just SC.

Once those 8-11 days are done -- then do practice mixing the questions up and doing practice questions for those last 7-10 days as mentioned above.

You may find the resources here helpful during your preparation: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 467 [0], given: 102

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What to do with 18 days left until test... [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 10:20
Expert's post
takyle wrote:
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone had an advice to as what I should do in my current situation. I am hoping to score at least 650. Around 6 weeks ago I decided to apply to graduate school and over half my applications, which includes my most desired school, are due by March 15th. My GMAT exam is shortly before that. After going through the first two MGMAT Guides I decided that I needed some extra practice on quant and went through the Foundations book. After that I took my Second GMAT exam. On the second exam I still wasn't as keen with the content as I am now, having just finished all the MGMAT Quant books, but my basic mathematical skills were much better.

GMAT Prep Test 1 - 530 (32 Verbal 31 Quant)
- zero experience with GMAT. Paused it a lot and took a lot of breaks due to not understanding the format and question wording. Did not really have any problems with the Verbal. Stamina was terrible, ect ect.

-Quant [DS Correct- 47% , PS Correct-53%)
-Verbal [RC Correct-80% , CR Correct-87%, SC Correct-33%]

.......after working through MGMAT Roadmap and the entire Foundations of Math book

MGMAT CAT 1 - 560 (32 Verbal, 35 Quant)
- Got (10/11) 600-700 question wrong, and 60% of 500-600 wrong. Thought Foundations of Math was necessary and helped my question speed and hand computations out tremendously. I need to focus on the format of the harder questions and strategies now. I have read through all the MGMAT Quant guides as of today.

-Quant [DS Correct-41% , PS Correct-53%]
-Verbal [RC Correct-64% , CR Correct-71%, SC Correct-36%]

-I have 18 days left now. What I am trying to figure out, is where to prioritize? Its clear I need to get better at solving 500-600 and 600-700 problems, and I need to improve my sentence correction dramatically. What I am unsure of it how to do it.

-Regarding quant, Is my best strategy to do a great deal of questions while referring back to the guides? Should I focus on more difficult questions?
-Regarding verbal, should I pretty much exclusively focus on SC and not touch my MGMAT CR and RC Guides?

-Regarding the 18 days left, should I focus soley on quant for 9-10 days, and SC for 5? Or is it better to split it up. For instance 1 day quant, 1 day SC, ect. ? Any thoughts or suggestions would be extremely beneficial, because I am definitely on the struggle bus here. Thanks so much.

Kyle

Hey Kyle - I don't know whether you'd need this anymore,but still in case you require it - here's bb's compilation

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Re: What to do with 18 days left until test...   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2014, 10:20