Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What to do with a 620

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What to do with a 620 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2004, 20:19
I'm a white male. Age 26. I have 3.5 years work experience (5.5 if you include college internships) with the same company since leaving undergrad. My undergrad GPA is 3.49. I've been working at a real estate developer (not a broker), and have had a meaningful role in delivering 33 stores in the Chicago area for an S&P100 retailer, which previously had not had any stores in this market. I've also developed a handful of Starbucks, Krispy Kreme's and McDonald's in the meantime.
As I mentioned, I'm living in Chicago and not sure what to do with a 620. It's a difficult town to know what to do with this score, as Chicago has two of the best MBA schools possible and then lots of basically average ones. I realize that the full time program for either Northwestern or University of Chicago is out of the question based on a 620, but would I have a shot at either school's part time program? I've heard that the requirements for part time programs are less rigorous, but please inform me if that is not accurate.
Also, I've read that UNC has a great real estate development program, and I've also read that the middle 80% at UNC reaches as low as 600, but I'm not sure if it's realistic to apply there, either. It's frustrating, because I feel like I have great work experience and a great job that would set me apart from typical applicants. And I feel that I would bring a lot to the table as far as having good work experience from which to draw during classroom dialogue. The problem is, I don't have the best score to be working with. Any advice based on the aforementioned would be appreciated. Thanks.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 09:19
Do you feel your standing on the constructs measured by the GMAT is higher than 620? If so, I would retake the exam.

It appears that roughly 10% of applicants below 650 are accepted by Northwestern (the yield would be expected to be very high). Thus, it is not impossible to be accepted in this GMAT range, but students with higher scores are accepted at higher rates.

There are certainly other nationally recognized schools near Chicago including Notre Dame and Purdue.

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: What to do with a 620 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 12:00
Expert's post
petemajer wrote:
I'm a white male. Age 26. I have 3.5 years work experience (5.5 if you include college internships) with the same company since leaving undergrad. My undergrad GPA is 3.49. I've been working at a real estate developer (not a broker), and have had a meaningful role in delivering 33 stores in the Chicago area for an S&P100 retailer, which previously had not had any stores in this market. I've also developed a handful of Starbucks, Krispy Kreme's and McDonald's in the meantime.
As I mentioned, I'm living in Chicago and not sure what to do with a 620. It's a difficult town to know what to do with this score, as Chicago has two of the best MBA schools possible and then lots of basically average ones. I realize that the full time program for either Northwestern or University of Chicago is out of the question based on a 620, but would I have a shot at either school's part time program? I've heard that the requirements for part time programs are less rigorous, but please inform me if that is not accurate.
Also, I've read that UNC has a great real estate development program, and I've also read that the middle 80% at UNC reaches as low as 600, but I'm not sure if it's realistic to apply there, either. It's frustrating, because I feel like I have great work experience and a great job that would set me apart from typical applicants. And I feel that I would bring a lot to the table as far as having good work experience from which to draw during classroom dialogue. The problem is, I don't have the best score to be working with. Any advice based on the aforementioned would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can prepare and retake the exam if you feel you can improve your score. Certainly that is the best way to go.

Part-time programs do have lower average GMATs and you probably would be in the lower part of the 80% range for Chicago's part-time program, but based on stats that the part-time programs used to provide, I still don't think your chances are great.

Have you looked into the University of Wisconsin MBA program?

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog