Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What to Expect??! GmatPrep 710, 600

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What to Expect??! GmatPrep 710, 600 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 07:44
Guys the practice test confuse me more than they give me insight about what I may score !

The Story:

I did some mgmat tests and scored from 580 to 650.
Did Kaplan scored 600 and 580.

Did the GMAT and scored 550 !

So i thought it cant be true and rescheduled. Some time has passed and in a week I will be doing the real thing again !

So I did GmatPrep and got 710 on the first one ! (Error ocurred while running application but i just closed it and continued, does that affect the score?)
And today I got 600.... WTF?! Actually I dont know what to expect.

1st: Q47 V40
2nd: Q42 (i think) and V34 (or smthing).
Cant look it up atm because the program is still open and i want to review what i did wrong, and since you cannot return to this screen again I need to stay here.

Seems my quant is sabilizing but Verbal sucked so hart this time. Im non native and my worst is SC usually.
Sometimes i get a lot right even the hard ones, but sometimes I suck so hard at it as every answer seems good to me.
I did not really study SC because I hate grammar rules and like to do it intuitively...

HELP !
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 356 [0], given: 182

Re: What to Expect??! GmatPrep 710, 600 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 08:40
If you are a non-native and SC is your weakest area, then I would say dont ONLY rely your intuition for answering SC questions. You might have dig through grammar and SC concepts.

You can MGMAT SC book to prepare for your SC. It is very comprehensive book and covers most concepts tested in GMAT styled questions.

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1115

Kudos [?]: 5054 [0], given: 164

Re: What to Expect??! GmatPrep 710, 600 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 20:34
Expert's post
cracker2013 wrote:
Guys the practice test confuse me more than they give me insight about what I may score !

The Story:

I did some mgmat tests and scored from 580 to 650.
Did Kaplan scored 600 and 580.

Did the GMAT and scored 550 !

So i thought it cant be true and rescheduled. Some time has passed and in a week I will be doing the real thing again !

So I did GmatPrep and got 710 on the first one ! (Error ocurred while running application but i just closed it and continued, does that affect the score?)
And today I got 600.... WTF?! Actually I dont know what to expect.

1st: Q47 V40
2nd: Q42 (i think) and V34 (or smthing).
Cant look it up atm because the program is still open and i want to review what i did wrong, and since you cannot return to this screen again I need to stay here.

Seems my quant is sabilizing but Verbal sucked so hart this time. Im non native and my worst is SC usually.
Sometimes i get a lot right even the hard ones, but sometimes I suck so hard at it as every answer seems good to me.
I did not really study SC because I hate grammar rules and like to do it intuitively...

HELP !

Practice tests are not supposed to give you insights on 'what you might score'. They are supposed to give you insights on 'how you can improve your score'. If you work on all your weak areas, you are bound to get a good score in the actual test, no matter what the practice test score says.

You already know your weak area. Try and work on that. If intuitively you are not getting the right answers, it means you need to work on an approach. There is no way around. We cannot complain about scoring low in a section if we don't want to put in the effort to improve. GMAT SC is not about 'grammar rules'. It is more about logic and meaning and knowing the basics e.g. subject and verb must agree, pronoun and antecedent must agree, modifiers must be placed correctly etc. Expose yourself to some theory that explains you what is meant by a 'logically correct' sentence. Also, practice questions that test whether you understand the logically correct option. You may know the basic rules but some sentences are just too complicated. It is hard to figure them out intuitively. you might want to break those down and check them piecemeal.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: What to Expect??! GmatPrep 710, 600 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 04:37
Thanks for the answer. I am now looking into SC stuff. Only one week left. Any tips on how to approach the last week?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 137

Re: What to Expect??! GmatPrep 710, 600 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 18:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
cracker2013 wrote:
Thanks for the answer. I am now looking into SC stuff. Only one week left. Any tips on how to approach the last week?

I recommend getting the Manhattan SC e-book and learn the first 5 chapters. They're not that long. Since you don't have much time, don't do the exercises at the end of the chapters. I recommend reading two chapters and going to the end of the book looking up the practice OG questions for those chapters and working on those.

Here is stuff you definitely should get down:

-Learn the deadly 5
-Know "which"rule
-Who vs Whom
-That vs Whom
-Like vs As
-Rather Than vs Instead of (stick to rather than)
-Most important comparison signals: Like, Unlike, As, Than
-When you see "Being" make sure to only use it ONLY at the beginning of the sentence

Good luck

If my post has contributed to your learning or teaching in any way, feel free to hit the kudos button ^_^

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.86

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: What to Expect??! GmatPrep 710, 600 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 15:28
I took GMATPrep 2 one week before my test and scored a 710. Then scored a 710 on the real thing. don't rush into retaking it until you're ready.
Re: What to Expect??! GmatPrep 710, 600   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2013, 15:28