Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

what to specialize in?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
what to specialize in? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2009, 19:33
I'm currently preparing for GMAT and while reviewing the different types of specialization, I'm curious as to what I should specialize in when I do get in.

background:
-BA in math, but terrible GPA(below 3.0)
-currently working as a insurance claims supervisor in a call center.

I probably will not go to a top 20 school, but I do plan to go a local university with a decent MBA program.

my main concern is to find something that will complement my background, but at the same time, give me job security, well pay, and upward mobility.

since I did math, my first thought was to go into finance, however as I stated before, my gpa in mathematics was terrible, and I do not have any finance background. Wont a company prefer someone with an undergrad in finance more then me?

my second thought is risk management as I'm involved in insurance. How's this for a career outlook in general? Is this something that is always 'in demand.'

Other specializations to consider:
energy
MIS
supply chain management/marketing.

It's impossible to tell what is going to be 'in demand' and is a smart choice for an MBA, but just wanted to get your thoughts.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: what to specialize in? [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2009, 21:23
This post received
KUDOS
I think it isn't too late until you actually start your 1st year classes to decide on your 2nd year specialization.

Here are things you should consider:

1) Your school reputation - your school might attract recruiters from specific fields/industry due to your school curriculum strength, etc. If you want to get a great job after graduating, you should research this.

2) Popular Specializations - i.e. Finance, Strategy, General Management etc. Finance MBAs are always in demand. One can pursue many opportunities with Finance MBA on their resume. One can argue the same thing with specilizations in GM, Strategy, Accounting etc.

3) Sample the classes during your 1st year - usually you will take specialization classes in your second year. See which courses interest you the most during your first year and decide.

4) Visit School Career Services Center - Your school Career Services Office should offer various tests that can tell your personality type and based on the test results - they can lead you to various career options that might be suitable for you.

5) Consult Others - talk to fellow students, faculty members, alums etc. Latest trend/demand in certain industry can change a lot of things. For example, in the late 1990's - one couldn't find a seat in CIS/MIS courses due to internet boom in many business schools.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: what to specialize in?   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2009, 21:23