Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What was a certain company's revenue last year?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Attending IE Nov 2010
WE 1: 11 years int'l work experience
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

What was a certain company's revenue last year? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 05:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:31) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 27 sessions
I recently got this question on GMAT prep software I downloaded from mba.com:

What was a certain company's revenue last year?

(1) Last year gross profit was $4,100
(2) Last year revenue was 50% greater than expenses

My answer was E, but the "correct" answer was C

So, I should probably state my understanding of a P&L statement:
Total Sales/Revenues - COGS = Gross Profit
Gross Profit - Expenses = Net Income

I assumed that you would need to also know COGS, but it appears from the official answer that the GMAT is taking a more simplified approach...?

Can someone point me in the right direction here?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 10

Re: GMAT approach to Revenue, COGS, Gross/Net Income? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 07:10
Profit = Revenue - Charge

both 1 & 2 insuff
but...

1+2 =>

P = 4100
R - 2/3R = 4100 => then R = 12300
Intern
Intern
Schools: Attending IE Nov 2010
WE 1: 11 years int'l work experience

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: GMAT approach to Revenue, COGS, Gross/Net Income? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 16:34
Thanks, but I'm not so much interested in an explanation to the problem as much as I am finding out more about GMAT terminology for Income Statements.

Does anyone know if GMAT questions such as this will always assume a more simplified approach of just Rev - Exp = Profit?

I guess I was taken by surprise because this is an entrance test to Business School.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 10

Re: GMAT approach to Revenue, COGS, Gross/Net Income? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 23:32
Actually I read a book which told that this information was assumed.

actually there are not so many information as this one that a test taker should know
you should buy an official book, you will find all of them

regards,
Alex
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT approach to Revenue, COGS, Gross/Net Income? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 14:07
I would like to actually answer your concern. GMAT's Gross Profit is not real accounting Gross Profit.

I did a similar question also on GMAT Prep that wanted Gross Profit but in reality, the calculation was Net Profit.

So to clarify, based on the OG and GMAT Prep, forget everything you know in the real business world, for GMAT purposes PROFIT = REVENUE - COST. GROSS PROFIT on the GMAT does not equal Number of ITEMS x Sale price per item. I know this sounds strange because when the question asks you about GROSS Profit, you automatically want to use Accounting terms and then use COGS to subtract and get NET PROFITS. For some strange reason GMAT assumes all PROFIT is the same and it is a net profit type of calculation that you tweak a bit based upon what you think is being asked. I know this isn't a perfect answer but I did come across this post trying to figure out a definitive answer for all scenarios.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: What was a certain company's revenue last year? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 22:00
Jones105,
Remember one thing here. Even though GMAT is a test of entry in to a Business school, the level of stuff tested in the exam is "High school" level. "Profit = Revenue - Cost" is the funda taught in that level and I guess, GMAC won't expect more than that at least for GMAT. I hope I am clear.

Ravi Sankar Vemuri

Re: What was a certain company's revenue last year?   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2012, 22:00