Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 02:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What was the amount of money donated to a certain charity?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 691
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 229

Premium Member
What was the amount of money donated to a certain charity? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:22) correct 22% (00:19) wrong based on 45 sessions
What was the amount of money donated to a certain charity?

(1) Of the amount donated, 40 percent came from corporate donations
(2) Of the amount donated, $1.5 million came from noncorporate donations

My only query in this question is "Are we assuming that there can be no third category such as 'Semi-corporate','Govt. depts' etc." ?

Because by assuming that there are only 2 types of donations

1.corporate
2. non-corporate

we can reach to answer this question.

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

_____________________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
Race Starts again
VeritasPrep 700
GMATPrep#1 650
GMATPrep#2 710

_____________________________________________________________________________


Last edited by Bunuel on 21 Mar 2013, 04:41, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17279
Followers: 2865

Kudos [?]: 18317 [0], given: 2345

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: What was the amount of money donated to a certain charity? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:46
Expert's post
targetgmatchotu wrote:
What was the amount of money donated to a certain charity?

(1) Of the amount donated, 40 percent came from corporate donations
(2) Of the amount donated, $1.5 million came from noncorporate donations

My only query in this question is "Are we assuming that there can be no third category such as 'Semi-corporate','Govt. depts' etc." ?

Because by assuming that there are only 2 types of donations

1.corporate
2. non-corporate

we can reach to answer this question.

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC


All donations are either corporate or noncorporate, how else? Corporate and noncorporate donations could also be made up from different sub-groups but this doesn't matter, is it?
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Director
Director
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 691
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 229

Premium Member
Re: What was the amount of money donated to a certain charity? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:55
Bunuel wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
What was the amount of money donated to a certain charity?

(1) Of the amount donated, 40 percent came from corporate donations
(2) Of the amount donated, $1.5 million came from noncorporate donations

My only query in this question is "Are we assuming that there can be no third category such as 'Semi-corporate','Govt. depts' etc." ?

Because by assuming that there are only 2 types of donations

1.corporate
2. non-corporate

we can reach to answer this question.

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC


All donations are either corporate or noncorporate, how else? Corporate and noncorporate donations could also be made up from different sub-groups but this doesn't matter, is it?


Hi Bunuel

On the contrary , I would like to ask you under which section of donations will "Semi-corporate donations " lie?

Not under any one of them , so how can we assume that there are only 2 types ?

Rgds,
TGC
_________________

_____________________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
Race Starts again
VeritasPrep 700
GMATPrep#1 650
GMATPrep#2 710

_____________________________________________________________________________

Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17279
Followers: 2865

Kudos [?]: 18317 [0], given: 2345

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: What was the amount of money donated to a certain charity? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:57
Expert's post
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:
What was the amount of money donated to a certain charity?

(1) Of the amount donated, 40 percent came from corporate donations
(2) Of the amount donated, $1.5 million came from noncorporate donations

My only query in this question is "Are we assuming that there can be no third category such as 'Semi-corporate','Govt. depts' etc." ?

Because by assuming that there are only 2 types of donations

1.corporate
2. non-corporate

we can reach to answer this question.

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC


All donations are either corporate or noncorporate, how else? Corporate and noncorporate donations could also be made up from different sub-groups but this doesn't matter, is it?


Hi Bunuel

On the contrary , I would like to ask you under which section of donations will "Semi-corporate donations " lie?

Not under any one of them , so how can we assume that there are only 2 types ?

Rgds,
TGC


Is semi-corporate corporate? No, so it falls into noncorporate.

Consider this, are there any other colors but black and non-black? It's as simple as this.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Re: What was the amount of money donated to a certain charity?   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2013, 04:57
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts A certain sum of money amounts to 1560$ in 2 years and 2100$ rxs0005 5 20 Apr 2005, 16:34
New posts 4 What was the amount of money awarded to the recipient of a megafan 3 12 Feb 2013, 09:27
New posts 2 Karl and Nell made donations to the same charity last year. avohden 2 02 Oct 2013, 08:00
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic Emma got a certain amount as pocket money from her father. S madhavsrinivas 5 30 Nov 2013, 06:30
New posts 2 Experts publish their posts in the topic What was the amount of money donated to a certain charity? Bunuel 4 03 Jan 2014, 05:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What was the amount of money donated to a certain charity?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.