Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

what went wrong

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

what went wrong [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2004, 03:00
On Oct 18th 2004, I took my first GMAT and thought I did OK. When I pressed the button and 440 popped on the screen, I could not beleive it.

I registered for Dec 4th, completed both GMAT verbal and math work book and drove all the way to diamond bar, 120 miles away. Though I had only 250 $$$ in my account, I still rented a motel for night.

Throught out the test, I was damn confident that I was doing great. After I was done, I pressed button to receive my score. Guess what was my score? Ya, 440 Again.

What should I do ? I have to take it again on January 4th. Need to get 660 +. These were my scores before the real gmat exam.

Kaplan 1. 550

Kaplan 2 530

Kaplan 3 510

Kaplan 4 590

Power Prep 1 570 ( four days before exam)

Power Prep 2 650 ( Two days before exam). I did math from power prep over a period of one month back in july. And I did english more than 1 1/2 months ago.

Does any one has an idea where I did wrong... What should I do..One think I know is that I panic... I had 17 in verbal. Two reading comprehension passeges took a lot of my time and showed up within topw ten questions...

How should I get 650....Any strategies..What books should I use...I signed up for Kaplan class course.. Shower me with opinions...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2004, 09:15
Hello Shooting,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I do not know your quant score but my first reaction is that you have to focus on the only relevant material available which is the official guide.
I started to work with Kaplan but this is little bit disturbing (IMO) : this is something you have to go through but not necessarily exact replica from the actual test.
You have still one month of prep till your next test so use it wisely in trying to understand all your mistakes : a paper or electronic error log is something useful (I started it after my first attempt) and regular posting and reading here at gmatclub is also an invaluable way of improvement. I encountered the same RC hard time during the test and I know now that I have to solve as fast as possible SC and CR to dedicate more time to RC...

Take care.

Frederic

On Oct 18th 2004, I took my first GMAT and thought I did OK. When I pressed the button and 440 popped on the screen, I could not beleive it.

I registered for Dec 4th, completed both GMAT verbal and math work book and drove all the way to diamond bar, 120 miles away. Though I had only 250 $$$ in my account, I still rented a motel for night.

Throught out the test, I was Oops confident that I was doing great. After I was done, I pressed button to receive my score. Guess what was my score? Ya, 440 Again.

What should I do ? I have to take it again on January 4th. Need to get 660 +. These were my scores before the real gmat exam.

Kaplan 1. 550

Kaplan 2 530

Kaplan 3 510

Kaplan 4 590

Power Prep 1 570 ( four days before exam)

Power Prep 2 650 ( Two days before exam). I did math from power prep over a period of one month back in july. And I did english more than 1 1/2 months ago.

Does any one has an idea where I did wrong... What should I do..One think I know is that I panic... I had 17 in verbal. Two reading comprehension passeges took a lot of my time and showed up within topw ten questions...

How should I get 650....Any strategies..What books should I use...I signed up for Kaplan class course.. Shower me with opinions...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2004, 20:43
thanx for sharing you gmat experience. although i have not taken the exam yet, from your post i get the feeling that time management is the issue here. after consulting with many of my friends, who have recently scored 700+ and most of them 750+, my findings were that almost 90% of them said that its not really the amount of time you put into the prep, but the lessons you learn from your mistakes in prep tests regardless of whether if its kaplan/pp/pr or whoever, also work on managing your time better, which is the key to success on the exam, i think most of the forum members who have already taken the test would back me up here. i had a similar problem with regular tests during my undergrad - i studied hard , did great on most of the tests, but somehow scored in mid 80 % on almost all of my tests in subjects where there wasnt much time to do the test. i was spending too much time on specific problems, not that i didnt know how to solve them , but i didnt manage my time well. my advice and this is directly from a friend of mine who scored 740 last week - do entire tests in their entirety just like you would on the actual GMAT. simulate the real thing as many times as possible so you can get the hang of it and not spend too much on RC or any other areas of improvement. my friend did more than 20 of these a few days before the test and scored high. hope that helps and good luck on your next try.
  [#permalink] 08 Dec 2004, 20:43