Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 10:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 10:23
Due to bad economy, many MBA grads are heading to the middle east for post-MBA careers.
I am sure for many, this wasn't in their original plans.
(http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/dec2008/bs20081223_342745.htm?chan=bschools_bschool+index+page_top+stories)

Even now when I ask myself, "Would I ever consider leaving my life in the states for the Middle East after business school?"

The answer is "No."

However, I can't guarantee the same answer if the job market is in the similar environment by the time I am ready to graduate.

With loads of bschool debt and uncertainties, what would it take for you to seriously consider Middle East for career after bschool? (only if you've never considered it before)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 15:50
I've never been to the Middle East, but I've known people who have lived and worked there. I think "where" is a big factor. Places like Qatar, UAE and Dubai have a relatively large western presence and stable governments/society.

Am I looking to settle down in the Middle East? No.

Would I take an offer to work there for a period of time? Without hesitation (based on compensation of course).

RF

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 16:45
If a firm gave me a $60,000 relocation bonus in addition to usual MBA compensation, I would spend 4 years in the middle east. Reason is that I am very debt-conscious and with a $60k + $20k signing bonus, I can get rid of my student debt in 2 years (potentially).
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 23:30
This post received
KUDOS
As many of u might know, I m seriously considering working in Dubai post MBA. For those of u who might not know, u dont pay taxes in middle east. Also, the salaries are in fact higher there compared to a similar position in US. Working short term in Dubai and saving cash is a great option!

Traffic never sleeps...

Last edited by traffix on 29 Dec 2008, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 06:41
I need no enticement at all. I'd totally do the Middle East thing, no matter what the American economy does. 'Cept Israel. Won't have that stamp in my passport.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 07:07
Ha. You won't make it to the Middle East with an Israeli stamp on your passport anyway. :)

Ntang wrote:
I need no enticement at all. I'd totally do the Middle East thing, no matter what the American economy does. 'Cept Israel. Won't have that stamp in my passport.

I personally would not consider moving to the Middle East (Dubai and other similar "liberal enclaves" included) for a host of cultural reasons, no matter what the financial enticement. But that's me, I can completely understand why the lucrative expat lifestyle there could be alluring to some.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 07:19
I am not sure about Middle East either.

Due to ridiculous and unfair legal system (among other factors), the job market has to be really bad for me to move all the way to Middle East.

Horror stories like this one (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/world ... dubai.html) is very common in that part of the world.

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 07:29
Errm, yeah. On a more positive note, this recent story in the WSJ provided a window into that expat lifestyle I referred to earlier.

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2008/12/09/emirates-flight-attendants-live-the-glamorous-life-so-long-as-they-dont-get-fat/#
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 07:30
Personally, I wouldn't move there. Just have a lot of cultural and political issues with the region.
I do understand why from a purely financial perspective, it would be appealing to some :)
Manager
Manager

Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 07:55
How about India/China? For all the constant gabbing we hear in business circles about those two countries, how many folks would move there? Indian/Chinese MBAs included.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 08:15
Ntang wrote:
How about India/China? For all the constant gabbing we hear in business circles about those two countries, how many folks would move there? Indian/Chinese MBAs included.

I'd move to India if I could make a standard US MBA salary ($120K USD). With the exchange rate, I'm sure I'd save some money which I could use to pay off loans.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 08:52
Ntang wrote:

I'd be open to moving to India...salary aside, it would also depend on what else was happening in life at the time...but I'd be open to it.

I've never been to China so can't say I'd be really open to moving there. I think I'd need to visit first...
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 09:19
It would be super difficult to get me out of the US. In addition to an extremely attractive compensation package, there would have to be a complete lack of opportunities in the US for me (no decent offers), and the company in the Middle East would have to be a multi-national which had plans of transferring me back to the US after X number of years.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2008, 09:22
Actually, i would not move to India for a 120K salary! That would suck. I would rather live in Texas than in India if I were making $120K.

Btw, u need to visit Dubai (Dubai, not the rest of ME) before deciding whether u can see urself living there. Dubai is way out there! the local population is abt 10%. It an immigrant city. If u r from UK/US, u live like a king in the best bungalows, driving the finest cars, disparaging everyone else. I m not kiddin whn i tell u that NYC and London pale in comparison to Dubai whn it comes to scantly clad hot women (i know TL is not reading this).

msday wrote:
Ntang wrote:

I'd move to India if I could make a standard US MBA salary ($120K USD). With the exchange rate, I'm sure I'd save some money which I could use to pay off loans.

Traffic never sleeps...

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2009, 21:55
I've lived in UK, Japan, and currently studying in Hong Kong.
I;ve visited the US, Most of Europe, India, China and many parts of APAC either through holidays or through business trips. (Not yet middle East).

For me, the key benefit is the ex-pat lifestyle alongside the cultural learnings you experience when working in a multicultural context. Its easier to save money on an ex-pat lifestyle, because rental is subsidised, you can afford cheap labour susch as maids or drivers and your children get to go to International schools where there is very little social problems which are much more prevalent in state schools (no matter where you are), because the childrens parents are well educated.

I would not recommend people work abroad if they suffer culture shock too easily, are picky with food, or sterotype a lot.

For me, I would work anywhere where the infractructure of the city is well developed. i.e. no power blackouts, safe sewage systems, well developed roads and mass transit systems and a sound international education system. The only other constraint is a city which is not overly religous whether that be Christian, Islam, Judaism, or whatever.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 04:44
refurb wrote:
I've never been to the Middle East, but I've known people who have lived and worked there. I think "where" is a big factor. Places like Qatar, UAE and Dubai have a relatively large western presence and stable governments/society.

Am I looking to settle down in the Middle East? No.

Would I take an offer to work there for a period of time? Without hesitation (based on compensation of course).

My thoughts exactly. I've been to the Middle East before and I wouldn't mind working in the UAE or Bahrain for a few years, depending on compensation. Housing is starting to get expensive in Dubai though, and even with the large expat population, there are still a few cultural and legal aspects of the region that may not appeal to all. Still, the expat packages can be pretty nice, along with the tax savings (though I think you are still subject to some taxes as a US citizen, after you exceed the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion).
Manager
Manager

Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 11:15
As a returned Peace Corps volunteer, I'm actually looking forward to moving back to the third world post-MBA. I'm not big on the expat lifestyle, actually... particularly in a poor country, living on high seems awfully out of touch... but I dig the international experience and, for what I want to do, living abroad is very valuable, if not necessary.

But, of course, it takes a certain type of personality for Americans to live abroad. You can't be fussy and fainthearted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 12:29
msday wrote:
Ntang wrote:

msday, are you from India/of Indian origin? Just curious...
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 12:58
$120k and no taxes? That is awesome!
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2009, 12:51
I think in general, I'd be willing to consider any overseas opportunities for the short-term (2-3 years MAX). It'd be great to save a bunch of money living in low cost-of-living places for a few years. Ultimately, I want to settle down somewhere in the States in the long-term.
Re: What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA?   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2009, 12:51